Guitars with narrow necks? (for players with short fingers)

JRC4558Dude

sigh.

i have small hands. they have never gotten in the way of me playing any guitar i want to. learn some stretching exercises. that'll help you far more than any thin neck, short scale guitar will.
Same here. I have ludricrously small girlie-man hands. I just deal with it.

TonyV

Thin necks I owned that were compatible with my sausage fingers
69 Gibson ES-330
Hamer from the Chicago factory from around early-mid 90s
USA made Reverends
Godin Freeway

edited to add Tom Anderson Tele

I have a 1993 Strat Plus and a Heritage 535 that are narrow enough for my short fingers but I don't think the brands are that consistent so you would have to try them first.

custom53

Early Hamer Specials ('80, '81, '82)
EBMM EVH guitars... The Axis are on the smallish side but wider than the EVH...

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
Narrow string spacing may turn into a dislike whether your fingers are short and fat or long and slender.

doreg

Hello everybody, My left hand is quite small… The electric guitars that I own have fret boards that are too wide as well as the neck is wide as well… Sadly, my middle fingerhas extreme nerve damage not allowing it to go all the way down into a fist… Meaning I don't have enough strength in it… Because of this I need your help to find a guitar that you would recommend for someone like me… Thank you!

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
Of the commonly made instruments, look for 1 5/8 nut width, combined with a shredder neck profile. I'd look to Ibanez first.

zenitB

Narrow necks are one thing that might help hand size and injury issues though I have noticed that super narrow necks are hard to play down at the nut. I have an injury and started playing short scale guitars as a result: Mustang, Duo Sonic, 3/4 size LP JR/Melody makers are/were easier for me then I got an old Rick, a 1959 that had a 21" scale and once I got the string gauge right, it was even better than the slightly longer Gibson/Fender short scales. The radius of the neck is pretty extreme on the Rickenbacker, which was my only complaint. Then Doug Kauer made a 21" version of his Daylighter Jr and that was it, it is now my only guitar. Worth checking out if this solution makes sense?

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
Early 70s bolt neck Matsumoku made guitars like Japanese Epiphones, Aria, Univox and Electra are good ones to look at.

ieso

G&L has one that is just what you're looking for. I have a Legacy that is narrow but not too thin .... actually very comfortable

candid_x

Silver Supporting Member
The 50's Baja has a nice chucky neck but very easy to play for us short fingered players due to narrow nut and not wide shoulders.

Trending Topics