• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Guitars with no personality

Frankentronics

I do not intend to hurt anyone's feelings. People have different tastes and I do respect that. For sure some will not agree with me and that's OK. I simply want to express my own feelings about some guitars and would like to hear if anyone else has similar feelings about any particular guitars.

For me a guitar has to have a personality. There are, however, some guitars that in my opinion are completely void of any personality.

At first place I put Music Man. Those guitars, to me, have no personality, whatsoever. They are well made, play well, but there's nothing there, for me.

I also can't make myself like Heritage guitars. It's a Gibson, but it's not a Gibson. What the hell is it? A Japanese lawsuit era guitar (copy of a Gibson) is very desirable to me. But a Heritage is what? I don't know...

I have similar feelings about Eastman. Yes they are well built, but so unauthentic that I feel there's nothing there.

Again, hopefully I did not offend anyone.

Do any of you have similar sentiments?

I'm curious, what are you basing these opinions on? Aesthetics? Experience playing them?

I can totally relate to your sentiment, there are plenty of guitars I pick up and find have no personality. And others that I wouldn't expect to, that have it in spades. For me, it's something that I don't fully get a sense of until I've played it.

And what defines 'personality' to you? Is it the design of a guitar? It's sonic character?

Its interesting how some collection of parts shaped in a particular way can come together to convey a quality that stands out from the others. I think it's part of what makes collecting guitars so compelling for so many of us.

I do not intend to hurt anyone's feelings. People have different tastes and I do respect that. For sure some will not agree with me and that's OK. I simply want to express my own feelings about some guitars and would like to hear if anyone else has similar feelings about any particular guitars.

For me a guitar has to have a personality. There are, however, some guitars that in my opinion are completely void of any personality.

At first place I put Music Man. Those guitars, to me, have no personality, whatsoever. They are well made, play well, but there's nothing there, for me.

I also can't make myself like Heritage guitars. It's a Gibson, but it's not a Gibson. What the hell is it? A Japanese lawsuit era guitar (copy of a Gibson) is very desirable to me. But a Heritage is what? I don't know...

I have similar feelings about Eastman. Yes they are well built, but so unauthentic that I feel there's nothing there.

Just psychological, nothing more. Sometimes you play a guitar and just don't vibe with it, feel like it doesn't really speak to you or inspire you, etc...and that's fine. If you're feeling that way about entire COMPANIES, that's a bigger issue within yourself that you need to resolve and not really related to any company or their product.

Last edited:

fingertip

Squier to the Grand Funk
Platinum Supporting Member
Didn't somebody make a 'Zombie' model in the early 90's?

PremiumMember

Just gut the electronics and rewire with some extras thrown in just for kicks.
Peter Criss shot smoke out of his.
So any guitar can be redone to be fashioned as desired or not depending on how you wanna go about it.

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member

But this has zero to do with guitars. Ever seen a car, motorcycle, house, set of clothes, restaurant, store, etc. that just left you totally bleh? Ever meet people like that? So what does this have to do with guitars? And since we all are free to buy only guitars we love, what was intent of post?

thefruitfarmer

I agree....

I bought a PRS Hollowbody 2 about two years ago, which has stayed in the case for most of that time. It is very easy to play, nice fat neck (big hands) and sounds very "even". However, it seems to lack any "character" so I prefer my Fender Baja Telecaster which has several distinct voices that I love.....

In fairness, although it is said on the net that PRS are typically quite bland, it is also said that for a PRS to come into its own it requires decent amp and pedals to do so.....and I have not tried any of this yet, I am drawn back to the good old Telecaster and tend to just pick up that guitar.

I will be doing some home recording quite soon and it would be rude not to at least try the PRS in that role.

Ask me in a few months and I could be raving about the blooming personality of the PRS Hollowbody 2....

I R P

Nah. There are guitars I like and guitars I don’t like, but I’ve never felt a particular guitar or brand had or lacked “personality.” I also don’t give my guitars names and I’m not big on “mojo.” I guess I’m more on the “just a tool” end of the spectrum.

Trending Topics