• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Guitars with no personality

Guyotron

I have a Godin LGXT. Very workmanlike guitar, but no personality that I can hear. Plays fine, does whatever I ask of it. It's my synth guitar, and that's it. Same mag pickups as other guitars in my stable. Just doesn't do anything special. Does the synth thing better than my stick-on Roland monstrosities. Being able to play guitars and pick the ones that speak to us is transcendent.

Zen_

Well, I'd say one bonds more with some guitars than others. Throughout the years, I have refined my taste and my guitar collection.
To me, an instrument does not have only to be a good player but also be good looking and inspiring.
I have played several hundreds of guitars for the last 55 years: some were sounding great but too heavy, others nice but dull, unplayable, ugly...
I found my holy grail (my pic) after 48 years and I have a couple of other ones I really like. If one can afford it, I'd say an arsenal should include a Tele, a Strat, a LP and a Semi-hollow.
I aquired an SG ('64 iteration) a Junior-type 1 pickup model and recently a Baker B3 with 2xP90's. Guess I'm covered with that... Never say never, but my search is now over ;)

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
For me a guitar has to have a personality. There are, however, some guitars that in my opinion are completely void of any personality. At first place I put Music Man. I also can't make myself like Heritage guitars. I have similar feelings about Eastman. Do any of you have similar sentiments?
No.

ragnar

I tried to take my guitar on a date, and it was a disaster. The guitar just sat there ignoring me the whole time, putting in zero effort, like it couldn't care less. Sure, it's gorgeous, but it has no personality.

GRIZZ28

Personification generalization of a guitar may deem it to have no personality BUT put that guitar in the hands of a Master and all of the sudden everybody wants one. Les Paul Jr - Leslie West for example - maybe?

JRS

I have not read the whole thread but what about Collings, not an original thought has ever come from them. Great craftsmanship but nothing original.

Jimbo99

I added a pickguard & Chigsby to my Epiphone LP Special I P90 recently. To me it was always just a slab of Worn Cherry stained Mahogany. It had a personality for what it was off the music store rack, but I felt I wanted it to have even more for looks & function. The pre-owned Strats have the personality the LP lacked. The LP was rarely played in comparison, now has more personality than the Strats and I play the LP more now. The LP always had better tone & sound than the Strats. I've bonded with all of them and each is my favorite for what each does.

AndrewSimon

I don't know what does a guitar with "personality" mean for others but for me an expressive guitar is what I bond with.
Dynamics and showing off every little nuance of my fingers is where it's at.
So low output pickups with a very dynamic amp on the verge of breakup.

GV Quinn

Guitars are inanimate objects, thus can’t have ‘personality’.

That’s it. The whole point is moot and reserved for people with no skills and imagination who need to derive their identity from copying others.

Strato62

one of my guitars has so much personality that it told me to stop playing because it did not like what I was doing. then refused to come out its case. So we clash sometimes.

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
Personification generalization of a guitar may deem it to have no personality BUT put that guitar in the hands of a Master and all of the sudden everybody wants one. Les Paul Jr - Leslie West for example - maybe?
I was into Mountain. Saw em live a few times. Bought the records. Used to cover Mississippi Queen and Silver Paper back when the Climbing album was new. I have to say, I don't recall Leslie West's choice of guitars had anybody I knew clamoring for a Jr at the time.

AndreasG

From the big names to me it‘s PRS. Alwys wanted to like the McCarty seeing David Grissom and Jess Franklin playing one, but never bonded...too beautiful, too precious for me. But for sure great guitars

Kemmons

... I also can't make myself like Heritage guitars. It's a Gibson, but it's not a Gibson. What the hell is it? A Japanese lawsuit era guitar (copy of a Gibson) is very desirable to me. But a Heritage is what? I don't know...
What a Heritage guitar is is a fantastic instrument.

I have a Heritage H535. It is by far the best guitar I've ever played in my almost 40 years of playing. I played a bunch of Gibson's 535s and they simply were not as good. Are there Gibson guitars on par with my Heritage? Of course, if I can find one. If I did find one, it would cost another $2000 for a guitar that wouldn't be any better than the one I bought used for $1600. I could sell some gear and buy a higher-end Gibson 535. I won't because it won't be better than my Heritage, just different.

nozkcb

Silver Supporting Member
I just love these threads where guitarists argue, attack and belittle each other over "opinions" about guitar sounds, appearance, colors, etc.

It would be comical if so many weren't so obviously SERIOUSLY offended and outraged by reading someone else's opinion about something they disagree with.

I would say that if you are so easily offended by other people's opinions of inconsequential matters like this, do yourself and everyone else a favor, and maybe skip the thread.

Perhaps petting a bunny is a better choice for you?

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
i figured it would be guitars with bodies constructed like this:

i had a guitar body that was made like this, and it sounded fine. a friend of mine who saw the body after i sanded it down said: it's a sausage guitar!

Dasherf7

I do not intend to hurt anyone's feelings. People have different tastes and I do respect that. For sure some will not agree with me and that's OK. I simply want to express my own feelings about some guitars and would like to hear if anyone else has similar feelings about any particular guitars.

For me a guitar has to have a personality. There are, however, some guitars that in my opinion are completely void of any personality.

At first place I put Music Man. Those guitars, to me, have no personality, whatsoever. They are well made, play well, but there's nothing there, for me.

I also can't make myself like Heritage guitars. It's a Gibson, but it's not a Gibson. What the hell is it? A Japanese lawsuit era guitar (copy of a Gibson) is very desirable to me. But a Heritage is what? I don't know...

I have similar feelings about Eastman. Yes they are well built, but so unauthentic that I feel there's nothing there.

Again, hopefully I did not offend anyone.

Do any of you have similar sentiments?
Personality is in the ear of the beholder...

Muddy100

I tried to take my guitar on a date, and it was a disaster. The guitar just sat there ignoring me the whole time, putting in zero effort, like it couldn't care less. Sure, it's gorgeous, but it has no personality.
Maybe the volume was down? You should really date one that speaks to you.