Guitars with thick necks?

kingrazor

I'm trying to figure out what kind of neck profile I prefer, so I wanted to know if there are any standard, off the shelf guitars that have really thick/fat necks. Something that I can find at my local guitar center preferably so I can actually try it.

guitarnut_1

do you play Fenders or Gibsons? A Gibson 54-58 reissues would have pretty substantial necks. I think Fender reissues from the same years would be pretty fat as well.

deytookerjaabs

Silver Supporting Member
The '58 "reissue" ES335 by Gibson has a big old fatty.

Usually the guitars with intentionally hefty necks will be advertised as such in the manufacturers/retailers literature.

guitargeezer

Gold Supporting Member
You didn't indicate your price point, so I know know whether '58 or '59 Reissue LP is in your ball park, or not, or a Core PRS, etc. And there are different levels of "thick"...what some consider thick, others might find it too thin. But, from my perspective as someone who does like fat neck guitars, here are some thoughts.

The '58 and '59 LPs are, by many standards, thick necks. I've had a '58 RI and it was one of my favorite neck profiles. But those two will probably run $2500+ on the used market. I haven't tried a Nocaster, but they're also pricey and not readily available at most of the guitar shops I frequent. On a more modest price point level, I have found the Baja Tele neck to be one of my favorites, and many PRS (Core and SE models) that have, for me, very comfortable wide fat neck profiles. I currently have a PRS Grissom and an SE Bernie Marsden...I actually prefer the Bernie's neck...slightly wider and thicker. I could go on, but those are some starting points for me.

CharAznable

Silver Supporting Member
My 2002 SG Special Faded has a baseball bat neck. Don't know if they're still like that.

AdmiralB

For something you're likely to find in most SA/GC locations, try a Les Paul Traditional. Some of the PRS SEs have biggish necks (the SE 245 is one), but they've got a subtle 'V' to them, not much shoulder.

Some of the lower-priced SGs and LPs have them, too. But it seems like the specs change all the time...however, I think you'll know one when you feel it.

Thwap

Platinum Supporting Member
Fat neck and guitar center.

Pick up one of the WYlde audio guitars.

Yeah they look wierd, but the necks are huge

Not sure if they'll be at your local GC, but Gadow Guitars seem to have a pretty chunky neck. We've got a half dozen in our shop, and they all seem to have a pretty thick profile. Beefy... ;)

paulitk

Fender Baja Tele is a good place to start. Those should be fairly easy to track down.
It's a fat neck, but it depends on what you are looking for, my Baja has a thinner nutwidth than my other guitars which have thinner neck profiles, so it's a baseball bat, everywhere but the top 3 frets, which is my only gripe about that guitar.

The new American Pros have a nice wide nutwidth, with a chunkier deep C

kingrazor

You didn't indicate your price point, so I know know whether '58 or '59 Reissue LP is in your ball park, or not, or a Core PRS, etc. And there are different levels of "thick"...what some consider thick, others might find it too thin. But, from my perspective as someone who does like fat neck guitars, here are some thoughts.

The '58 and '59 LPs are, by many standards, thick necks. I've had a '58 RI and it was one of my favorite neck profiles. But those two will probably run $2500+ on the used market. I haven't tried a Nocaster, but they're also pricey and not readily available at most of the guitar shops I frequent. On a more modest price point level, I have found the Baja Tele neck to be one of my favorites, and many PRS (Core and SE models) that have, for me, very comfortable wide fat neck profiles. I currently have a PRS Grissom and an SE Bernie Marsden...I actually prefer the Bernie's neck...slightly wider and thicker. I could go on, but those are some starting points for me.
I'm not looking for something to buy. At least not yet. That's why I'm asking for stuff I can find at Guitar Center, just looking to try stuff first.

teofilrocks

Silver Supporting Member
Another common GC stocked item with a fat neck to try is the Ibanez Artcore ASV10A semi-hollow. It's the "relic" one. I'd wager it's thicker than the SE 245 neck.

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
Fender Nocaster
For the Fender models I've tried - the EJ is decently thick and feels really good to play. Probably my favorite stock Fender neck

The CS Nocasters are hands-down my favorite - but they cost a ton of money

The Suhr Classic Pro T has a decently thick neck, but it's not a Nocaster.

My Gibson LP Traditional has a very thick neck. It's a 2009 or 2010

I've gravitated towards thicker necks - I was in GC on Wednesday and tried 6 or 7 fender guitars - I didn't like the necks on any of them, all too thin for me, except the EJ.

RJLII

A Fender Nocaster will have a big "U" and a Gibson R6 will have a fat "C". I love both necks.

jekylmeister

Raconteur Extraordinaire
Gold Supporting Member
I've got a SG, an Explorer, and a LP Standard (2008) that I would classify as thick necks. Not sure where 'baseball bat' size starts, but they're large. While I don't find them uncomfortable, and I have pretty good sized hands (unlike the Orange one), I tend to prefer a thinner neck like my PRS and Strat. While it's entirely subjective, I think the tonal qualities of the 'bulky' necks offer more sustain, but just about any quality can be mimicked with electronics. I find myself a little more fluent on the thinner necks. That is all.

Trending Topics