Guitars without truss rods...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jimmy_Rage, Jul 7, 2019.

1. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

Awesome guitar new!!!!

2. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

I am a believer in a thick neck.
    However I am not brave enough to invest in a "no truss rod" neck.
    It is wood after all and will likely move a little at some time.

3. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Theoretically speaking, the thicker the neck, the less reinforcement it will need, if you're using wood. Brian May's Red Special has a massive neck, and he said in his book he's never needed to adjust the heavy duty rod he installed since the day it was completed. Of course, he plays .008s, the tension of which probably has no effect on a big reinforced stick like that. If you made a wood neck substantial enough, you could get away without a truss rod; it would counteract tension much like a lapsteel.

sahhas likes this.
  4. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

Yea, my rosewood neck is an inch thick, I like the size actually

5. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

Sorry, but I want to be able to fine tune my action. I can play just about anything well enough, but it seems ridiculous to me for any decent guitar to lack the ability to make fine adjustments to neck relief. If some builder things that conventional rods create some disadvantage, design a different system -- don't leave the instrument without the possibility of adjustment. The idea that one person's relief preference applies to all is wrong. And many would argue that neck compression (via the truss rod) is a tone enhancer, not a detriment. I have a wartime acoustic with no rid. It's great. It would be better with a rod.

hudpucker likes this.
  6. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

The Martin guitars with no truss rod are adjustable by using frets of different widths to make it straight. They had no truss rod during wartime. I hear that they sound amazing.

7. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

This is a Musser acoustic, The neck is made of Spanish Cedar with an ebony fretboard. It has no truss rod. This was not a cheap guitar. The lack of a truss rod was never a problem. (I sold the guitar to Normans Rare Guitars. Turned out that Mussers are Norm's favorite acoustics).

[​IMG]

sahhas and Gig Young like this.
  8. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I like fat necks. Biggest neck I have on any guitar is my Kirn T. Maple neck that is about an inch thick all the way down.

From the day I got it used, I have never had to adjust the truss rod. However, the day I got it with 8’s on it and I changed to 11-52 strings, I did.

The string tension is the unknown factor, regardless of how seasoned the wood may be.

I have a ‘96 R4 I bought new. It was 20 years before I ever touched the truss rod. But one day it did need a tweak and is much better for it.

9. LaXu

LaXu Member

That doesn't mean a thick neck can't twist. I have a pretty beefy neck (think Gibson 50s profile) on my old Yamaha semihollowbody and it had a twist on it that required sanding the fretboard and refretting it. It comes down to individual pieces of wood.

I don't really see any advantage to not using a trussrod.

rhinocaster and Gig Young like this.
  10. nl128

nl128 Silver Supporting Member

I have a 1956 00-18 with no truss Rod . It definitely has something special going on compared to a 2012 00-18 I used to own. Idk if the truss has anything to do with the difference or not . The only time the neck moved is in the middle of winter. I get a tiny bit of buzz on the G string at the 12th fret. That action is pretty low compared to other acoustics I’ve owned.

11. 100% Zulu Boy

100% Zulu Boy Supporting Member

I have a couple of guitars without truss rods; both are made by Musikraft, both are copies of the original neck on Broadcaster 0043, and both are doing just fine, stability wise.

I've had one for 8 years and the other for 5; they both started out with me in New Orleans, an area known for extremes in heat or humidity, and now they live in the northeast, also an area where there is significant weather diversity year-round. From my real-world personal experience, the only downside is that they're not adjustable, but the upside is that they both have a fat, poppy, open sound that I really like, and the lack of adjustability is a non-issue for me as they play just fine they way they are.

For background, one is on an S guitar and the other is on a T, and I don't aspire to crazy low action cause I think those guitars sound better when the action is up a little higher. I run 10-46 strings on the guitar and the relief is around .011 -- .012 on a 9.5" radius neck; maybe a little high, but it feels right to me on those guitars.

So I totally get why a no-trussrod neck isn't right for everyone, but it's not wrong for everyone, either -- it's just a choice, and my own experience is that it's a choice that has worked for me for a lot of years under something approaching worst-case conditions for this kind of construction.

~j

U.S. Blues and sahhas like this.
  12. Switters

Switters Member

I’m guessing my partscaster Tele with a Musikraft no-truss nocaster-style neck is about ten years old with no problems at all.
    Actually my favourite guitar to play.

U.S. Blues and sahhas like this.
  13. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

All of this....

No truss rod seems like something to do because you want to do it (for whatever reason) and I do think it's kinda badass and cool, but if I was pressed to explain any upside I'm just totally at a loss.

14. stanshall

stanshall Member

in the back of a dream car twenty foot long
    I've got a '71 Roberto Clemente, would never sell it

RocknRollAnimal likes this.
  15. OldHootOwl

OldHootOwl Member

In my life, I've owned exactly TWO guitars with no truss rod. One was literally the finest instrument I've ever owned. The other was the biggest piece of garbage I've ever played.

I'll let you guess which is which:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

freedom's door likes this.