Gun safety failure - absolutely bonkers

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by jcmark611, Apr 18, 2015.

1. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

2. rick13

rick13 Member

Yep, never assume anything. Not all guns are created equal.
    Rick

3. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

That's a good video.

4. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Wow crazy. Not a gun owner, only shot a 22 as a kid a couple times. That's pretty scary.

5. 335guy

335guy Member

Note to self. Don't buy a Winchester shotgun.

6. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

I wonder if the problem is inherent in the design of that gun or if it is just an isolated fault.

It's unbelievable that if it was a design flaw it wasn't found in testing.

I wouldn't really know... Gun ownership isn't as common in Australia and I've never owned one.

7. Jrw8214

Jrw8214 Member

Probably is a flaw in the design, but im sure it doesnt help that he isnt operating it properly. I dont think you're supposed to pump it with the safety already engaged. If he leaves the safety off, puts the gun back into battery and it doesnt go off, then its simply his fault for not handling it properly.

8. Porrig

Porrig Member

That is crazy!

9. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

Slam fire. Bad. Pretty, pretty, pretty bad. Lawsuit bad.

10. Pax

Pax Gold Supporting Member

Wow. Never seen anything like that before. Didn't even know there was a term for it. Can't believe that product could get out of the factory. Opened my eyes.

11. Dereksslide

Dereksslide Member

Not sure I understand you, surelya safety on a gun should completely disable it? As in nothing should work and it shouldn't even get it into a ready state with the safety on?

12. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

It's been recalled. Anyhow, slam fires can happen in almost any firearm, even a rimfire revolver. Its partly why I question the practice of carrying a semi auto without one in the chamber. Even without an incredibly rare slam fire, chambering a round is still one of the most accident prone operations. We ain't kidding when we tell our students not to point at anything unless you don't mind shooting it.

13. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

Its most likely due to a bad firing pin...oversized, bent...something like that. Guns are mechanical contraptions. The only safety that works 100% of the time is the one between your ears. No one would bet their life on their car starting up in the morning, but for some reason people are willing to bet on a gun sometimes. Fortunately, this guy got it right.

If you shoot enough, though, you WILL see this and other malfunctions. Its just a matter of when. I've seen slam fires in a number of guns. I even had a Walther PPKS that would occasionally go full auto for 2 or 3 rounds.

14. Dereksslide

Dereksslide Member

I get that, anything mechanical can and probably will fail at some point, it's just the post I quote seemed to imply that the guy in the video may possibly be causing the problem by using it wrong, but I don't really understand the terms he was using. I thought that once the safety is on you can basically do what you want, within reason and nothing will work (as long as the safety works as it should!)?

15. SupremeDalek

SupremeDalek Member

I've never met a shotgun that couldn't be loaded with the safety on... what sense does that make... functionally? There is an issue with that weapon, and Winchester needs to get it back. Luckily the guy practiced good gun safety and didn't shoot a wall in his house or his family.

16. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

In theory, but that's why gun safety should be followed all the time. You just never know.

17. SupremeDalek

SupremeDalek Member

This^^

18. eflatminor

eflatminor Member

This^

The only 'safety' that is sure to work every time.

19. armadillo66

armadillo66 Member

I was in a duck blind one time when a 50's Browning 12 ga went full auto into the floor of the duck blind with four big ole boys and me a 7yr old kid crammed in there in heavy cold weather gear and waders and a big ole wet Laborador retriever all doing a chinese fire drill when it happened.
    Examination of the gun found that a stray piece of 7 1/2 shot from a loose crimp reload had leaked out of a shell and into the mechanism of the gun and locked the trigger sear. So when the guy who owned it loaded it full of goose loads and closed the bolt, the gun cycled three rounds in about 1 second. Oh yeah I had fun as a kid.

20. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

I understand your point, but imo that's not a great statement to give kids and new shooters. That thing malfunctions all day long every day. That's why unloaded guns are often called the most dangerous guns.