Guns in movies. Are we being lied to?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by GuitarGuy66, Feb 18, 2016.

1. NamaEnsou

NamaEnsou Supporting Member

I like the stock wood insert handles too, but I also like Hogue because they feel good in my hand.

2. teledude55

teledude55 Supporting Member

indoors you always need ear protection, gun ranges are concrete echo chambers, outdoors you can shoot without ear protection, but it is always a good idea to have some on hand.

3. Jrw8214

Jrw8214 Member

Completely understandable. My first Ruger, the 6" Security Six(Bicentennial Edition by the way) had Pachmayr grips on it. I know most guys, even die hard Security/Service/Speed Six fans dont care for the stock grips. But ive got small hands and i love them. I understand why the previous owner did it, but they were just too big for my hand with that double action trigger. The only Pachmayr grip i like the looks of and would even consider putting on them happens to be the compact grip made for round butt frames. Although ive seen another guy, who like me, thinks its the only good looking grip they make so he ground off just a enough of the backstrap so they'd fit. Which apparently on that gun isnt very much as it still remains a square butt grip frame, it just needs a little bit shaved off. Im on the fence, i know they arent collectible, but i love them so much i am having a hard time convincing myself to do it.

NamaEnsou likes this.
  4. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

It's the movies! The same movies where the beautiful damsel takes a 45-70 slug to the shoulder, but grins and bears it because it's "just a flesh wound". As opposed to reality, where the whole arm would be missing.

5. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

Don't believe everything you see and hear on the TV.

I much rather play "Call of Duty Black Ops III" Hardcore Domination, YEAH BOY!

6. HammyD

HammyD Member

I think I first noticed when I was a kid that movies might just not be what they seem.....

(Superman is not afraid of being shot but dodges a revolver!) :-0

65DuoSonic and A-Bone like this.
  7. Glenn D.

Glenn D. Member

To be accurate, the BAR and M1 fired the .30-06 round, which is 7.62mm x 63mm, as compared to the .308 NATO round which is 7.62mm x 51mm.

84Bravo likes this.
  8. Structo

Structo Member

Didn't read all the posts but have any of you shot a .45acp without ear plugs?

Man, it's like getting wacked upside the head.

Empty 9mm casings work pretty well in a pinch if you forgot your muffs.

The thing I hate about movies with guns, is they usually screw up the reality of it.

Take Uzi, MP5, or other full automatic gun and hold down the trigger for 3 seconds.
    There goes 30 rounds and now you have an empty gun.

That is why the US military went to a 3 shot burst on the M4's (M16) instead of full auto.
    They found that the guys in Viet Nam and later, would empty their rifles and burn through too much ammo, not to mention the possibility of burning out the barrel.
    Then they are vulnerable to attack.

In movies the guns have never ending magazines...

The way I understand gun battles is, you get a huge adrenaline rush and don't even hear the gunshots
    in most cases.

9. Jrw8214

Jrw8214 Member

My friends old boss was a vietnam vet, and he said they'd use their M16s to cut down trees so the enemy wouldnt have a place to hide. Now how true that is, i wouldnt know, but i believe it that they wasted ammo. I consider full auto in a rifle to be a waste of ammo in general anyway. Its only useful in a machine gun or in a submachine gun when used to provide cover fire or defend a position.

10. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

For me the funniest thing in movies related to guns is racking the slide. I love a scene where folks are being held at gun point for a few minutes, and then in a moment designed to heighten the viewer's sense of danger, the gun wielder suddenly racks the slide to show HE MEANS BUSINESS.

As a bullet never flies out the ejection port that means he's been holding people at gunpoint with a gun that was basically unable to fire.

NamaEnsou, 65DuoSonic and A-Bone like this.
  11. Jrw8214

Jrw8214 Member

Yup, both use a .308 diameter bullet. The .30-06 cartridge was based on the 7mm Mauser. Whereas 7.62x51 Nato/.308 Winchester was based on .300 Savage with a slightly lengthened case for a bit more power. The .300 Savage of course was developed to be a shorter round that would fit in Savage 99 lever action rifles but provide ballistics similiar to .30-06, which it almost provides. They used it to develop .308 to provide .30-06 performance/ballistics in a shorter action for semi auto rifles.

12. Jrw8214

Jrw8214 Member

The cop in Ash vs. The Evil Dead would rack the slide every single time she pulled her gun! Drove me nuts.

NamaEnsou likes this.
  13. mannish

mannish Member

diggin a grave - hell it takes me forever to dig deep enough to plant a tree. Thye dig graves in 10 minutes or less wearing a suit after some serious fighting for 30 minutes. diggin a grave with a shovel, yea sure

14. Structo

Structo Member

Yeah I have noticed that too.
    Or they check the chamber to see if there is one in the pipe.

When I complain during a movie about gun things, my wife thinks she has to remind me it's only a movie.:)
    Now if they would just hire better gun tech guys.

Like when they say the perp had a semi-auto handgun and the guy they show is holding a revolver.....

NamaEnsou likes this.
  15. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

I'm not going to give the specifics, but I worked in the TV business specifically for handling, knowledge, and consulting regarding firearms for a while and in general the attitude was "does it look cool?" followed by "how much will it cost?". reality came in at about 3rd. As long as people LIKE seeing big explosions and "super hard action" in TV and movies, THAT is how it will be portrayed.

The essence was this;
    -If 'bang' is good, "BOOM" is better.... so "BA-BOOOOOOOM" must be more better, right?

I mean - you didn't really believe a hand grenade goes off like a gas station explosion every time its thrown did you?

16. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

I can assure you, tech guys have NO input regarding writing.

A-Bone and Glenn D. like this.
  17. Jrw8214

Jrw8214 Member

Watch the behind the scenes with the tech from Hell On Wheels. The guy is a moron and knows very little about the guns of that period.

18. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I slept through a sniper shooting up our position and an M113 pulling right up in front of me and letting loose with the 50 cal.

I woke up the next morning and thought someone was playing a joke with all the 50 cal casings all over in front of me.

NamaEnsou, A-Bone and 100JH like this.
  19. Jrw8214

Jrw8214 Member

Damn, you really do learn to sleep whenever you can during war.

Glenn D. likes this.
  20. Laelaps

Laelaps Member

Absolutely false. On every level.

dwoverdrive and bgh like this.