Guns N Roses and the 3.5 hour show

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Killcrop, Nov 3, 2017.

1. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

My bandmates went and say the same; Slash absolutely killed, Axl was better than he has any right to be all things considered, 3&1/2 was long but not "God, let it end" long.

I skipped GnR.
    Went to LCD Soundsystem next nite.
    Might have been best show I've ever seen, and I'm not even that big a fan.

:hide:hide:hide

2. CC Overdrive

CC Overdrive Member

Why? Some of those songs are really good, and one of the questions often posed is how the old band would have sounded playing those tunes. I suppose now we'll get some played out commentary about Chinese Democracy, but theres no possible way that album could have lived up to the hype. As far as deep cuts go....the bloat that filled the UYI era albums is pretty well documented...but I was pumped to hear Coma.

3. DiNiro

DiNiro Member

Its actually unbelievable to me how much BETTER the songs are just because its Slash doing the solos. Anyone familiar with that album should listen to the live versions with Slash. I honestly think that record would have lit the world on fire if he played leads on it and did nothing else. Its that good.

They encore with Paradise City and play most of the hits relatively early. I don't think anybody is losing sleep over not hearing paradise city these days.

I go to college football games that last 3.5 hours and THAT is too long. You have to deal with commercial breaks and a bunch of BS that has nothing to do with the game. That sucks. A concert where a top 50 band of all time plays for a long time with relatively few breaks and people complain? I don't understand it. Go home and stay there. Again, its not a movie. Its not a broadway production. You don't have to stick around to find out what happens at the end to the characters. No one wins or loses the game. It's a concert. And its a damn expensive one at that. Stay as long as you want and enjoy it as much as you want. Don't complain if they play too long. That makes about as much sense as going to a gas station with the cheapest gas in the state and complaining that there are lines. What is your major malfunction? Makes no sense to me.

And for those that like to see short well planed out sets, go see small bands that haven't made it yet and support them. That's perfectly valid. So is leaving early if you've had your fill. This thread is mind boggling.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    Darkburst and Omega like this.
  4. Omega

Omega Member

I have to say, this is spot on . Thanks

5. Omega

Omega Member

Another excellent post. But kind of sad that it had to be said. Wtf is wrong with you people? I paid a lot of money and waited 25 years and it is too long?? I would have watched a 5 hour show if they played that long.

DiNiro and Darkburst like this.
  6. Doom Man

Doom Man Member

Right, I think you're kinda misunderstanding some of those posts.
    It's not that 3.5 hours is too long for a gig. Pretty much all gigs I go too are more or less 3-4 hours or so.
    It's that for some of us we like to see 3 or 4 bands on the bill for some variety. In fact I'm perfectly okay, as long as I have the energy, with an 8 hour long festival watching 7-8 bands.
    Doesn't matter who it is, I just find the idea of watching only one act without something to break it up very fatiguing and even when I've watched bands play for about 2 hours I find my mind starts to really wander and lose focus after about 75-90 minutes or so.
    I like to think that doesn't make me "Stupid" nor is it unreasonable, but hey feel free to think I and many others are I guess

DiNiro likes this.
  7. DiNiro

DiNiro Member

It's not personal. I'm sure there are several areas of life that you're way smarter than I am. I just don't get why a band playing a long set is a bad thing. You know what I think sucks? If I book a gig around here we have to play for 4 hours(minus breaks) for a bunch of people who want to hear kid rock and mustang sally. Would those same people complain about a 4 hour Guns N Roses set? Because if so, I hate them even more.

chirills and Killcrop like this.
  8. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Supporting Member

Has anyone been to a recent show? Never seen them live. They just announced a new tour in the US this summer. My 7 year old wants to go. Do they keep their shows family friendly?

9. mikebat

mikebat Member

I totally dug AFD when it came out. I never thought of them as a legendary band, that was a great record. UYI has great moments, but....I shelved it quickly. I always thought of Slash as a good rock guitar player with a middle of road guitar tone, nothing new or special and never understood the super fans.

now, they are just a nostalgia act. That said....Slash is one of the rare guys that seems like he improved over time. I think he has really upped his game.

10. macula56

macula56 Member

Richard Fortus is an awesome guitarist. Dude has serious skills.

11. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

Does guns and roses have 3.5 hours of material? What did they play? Filler?

12. 8len8

8len8 Supporting Member

More than a couple (2) albums:
    - Appetite
    - Lies
    - Illusion 1
    - Illusion 2
    - Spaghetti
    - Democracy

More than enough for a 3+ hour show.

firebird1999us likes this.
  13. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

Saw them a couple years back. Easily the greatest concert I have ever witnessed. These guys work their behinds off. When Axl sat down at that piano to do November Rain, I involuntarily started bawling. WTF is that? That’s the power of Rock and Roll, I guess.

14. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I don't want to see anyone for 3.5 hours.

15. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

Well, as Unexplainedbacon already pointed out, bands often save the best songs for last. I'd love to hear Sweet Child O' Mine live, but I'd hate to sit through 3.5 hours and god knows how many encores to hear it. You either feel badly that you want to leave early or irritated that you can't leave early.

I mean, I get your point. It's silly to complain about length if you're enjoying yourself. But I don't think I'd want to see even my favorite band in the world for 3.5 hours straight.

16. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Member

I saw G'nR back in the day and Slash quite a few times over the past 15yrs or so with Snakepit, Velvet Revolver, and I saw them recently (last year - year before) at the Hollywood Palladium with Myles Kennedy and they absolutely KILLED IT.
    The 20min+ epic Rocket Queen and that huge extended solo that Slash took was nothing short of brilliant.
    I'm really not down for the big arena-type show but I gotta say... I may rethink that and see G'nR when they get back home.

17. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Member

PS - no one complained when Prince did that run of shows at the LA Forum and was playing upwards of 3hrs and then hitting a small club after and playing into the wee hours of the morning.
    THAT is f***ing rock and f***ing roll!!

18. JustinReagin

JustinReagin Supporting Member

They’ve been doing this for years now, they did it when I saw them 3 years ago, and before the “reunion”, 9 years ago.

19. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

The transformers must be huge on that amp.

Sorry, I'll get my coat.

20. firebird1999us

firebird1999us Member

I saw them in 2016 and was expecting a total trainwreck... I don’t really even like hearing the studio stuff anymore it had so much airplay on the radio when I was in college. That 2016 was hands down the most incredible show I’ve ever been to. Axl was easily the best frontman I’ve ever seen by a mile!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    Pidgin English likes this.