1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Guns N' Roses at the Apollo

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by DirtLover, Jul 21, 2017.

1. DirtLover

DirtLover Member

Anybody catch GnR show broadcast on Sirius XM? I heard a bit of on my morning drive today. Overall, the 20 minutes that I heard, were pretty good - Axle has his moments, some great, some not so great. Slash is a beast. Some acoustic stuff. Paradise City and Night Train were the highlights from what I heard but I'm an AFD fanboy. One of the things that bugged was the backup vocals are awful, like bad bar band awful. Other than than that I hope to catch the whole thing at some point and will be seeing them over Labor Day weekend.
    November Rain/any time Axle sits at the piano and Chinese Democracy stuff will be a good time to get a beer.

2. JK1965

JK1965 Member

So many of those bands had great backup vocals on the records but not live. Its obvious that outside singers are used a lot in the studio. When you are actually there at full volume you won't really care. I've heard that they are real good right now. Good time to see em!

DirtLover likes this.
  3. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Or the lead singer's themselves. I know Axl did a lot of the heavy lifting on the background vocals on the first few albums.

Steven Tyler, for instance, does most of the background vocals on Aerosmith albums, and they have a guy to do them live.

4. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I listened to some of it in the car today as they are replaying it quite a bit right now. Sounded solid from what I heard.

DirtLover likes this.
  5. somecafone

somecafone Member

Timothy B. Schmidt of the Eagles said he did some background vocals on a Poison record.

6. DirtLover

DirtLover Member

Agreed on all accounts. The back up vocals aren't a big deal, just something I noticed. I don't expect much from GnR vocal harmonies, that's for the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, etc... This is effin' GnR and they're bringing it!

7. cffluntouch

cffluntouch Gold Supporting Member

I thought most bands of their stature, such as Van Halen, plays taped backing vocals these days to even out the vocal sounds?

8. 27sauce

27sauce Member

That's crazy. Van Halen isn't of G n' R's stature.

9. firebird1999us

firebird1999us Member

Van Halen was great and EVH is the heavyweight champion of post Hendrix guitar - but they're not even in the same league as GNR! Especially nowadays!

27sauce likes this.
  10. cffluntouch

cffluntouch Gold Supporting Member

I wasn't comparing which band is better, merely stating that big acts on big arena tours will use taped backing vocals.

11. 27sauce

27sauce Member

While some do, I wouldn't expect it.

12. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

I forget, did Duff join them when they "got back together recently?