Gurgling/static noises from my amp?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by themeanreds, May 15, 2006.

1. themeanreds

themeanreds Supporting Member

Hi y'all

I just got an old Massie Lancer amplifier head (converted from a combo); it's basically a 5E3 Deluxe circuit.

The amp makes gurgling static noises. This happens regardless of whether or not anything is plugged into the amp, where the volume and tone controls or set, etc.; there is pretty much a constant staticy gurgle happening. Sometime it goes away, only to return a minute later.

Any ideas as to what the culprit could be?

Thanks!

2. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I just had a similar problem and it turned out to be a preamp tube going bad.

3. DodsonLP

DodsonLP Member

I have had similar problems with a few amps. I don't know if it is a coincidence or what but I traced the problem down to a pre-amp tube and it was always a Sovtek pre-amp tube. The sound I have had sounded like a blow torch in the static.

4. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

Mine was a Sovtek as well...Hmmmm

5. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

It definately sounds like a preamp tube problem to me, too. Doesn't have to be a Sovtek, though: I've had many of those go bad, but I've also had a couple of my favorite fancy NOS tubes do the same thing.

Just replace one preamp tube at a time, with a good spare, until the problem ceases.

- T