gurus echosex 2 delay

Slideman

Just picked up the Limited yesterday, LOVE this thing. There's definitely a ghost in the machine- it has a nice unpredictable character to the modulation and self oscillation, just like a tape echo. I prefer it to the El Capistan. The limited version has a slightly shorter delay time and an input impedance specifically for guitar, but I also use it on a synth and it sounded amazing. Never thought I could love a delay with only 400 ms delay time, but this is a really cool unique pedal that sounds great and can give unpredictable cool results when you want them. It's got a very very little bit of noise when it's engaged, way less than the Skreddy Echo I had. I played the standard version too which was also awesome and had a longer delay time, but I thought to my ears that the limited sounded a little better, and it was only 75 bucks more.

Okay it's expensive but the pride of ownership is pretty strong on this one, and the tone and the sheer fun of the thing can't be discounted. If you're on the fence on this panel, pick one up for sure it's very cool.

If you don't mind, where did you purchase the LTD edition? Thanks!

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
So basic but covers them well, is this your personal board or a build for someone. Like.

This is my personal board. I use it for small gigs when playing blues and classic rock material. I switch the Les Luis TT out with the Blackstone MOSFET OD depending on which amp I'm using.

Gurus Amps

Speaking to the buffer/impedance thing.... I have always HATED when a unit changes my base tone, and a year ago I would actually have been unhappy that the original ES2 did not have proper "guitar impedance"... but then neither did the Binson or Roland Space Echoes (and probably some others as well)...

I found out that sometimes that slight high end rolloff on the base tone is a GOOD thing (at least for the tones I like), and I decided to start using these "quirks" to my advantage: for example, Brian Setzer says the Roland Space Echo is the "key" to his sound... and he's not talking about the slapback, he's talking about the preamp, and how it loads the pickups... for the sound he likes, the weird Space Echo impedance HELPS HIM get the sound he wants of out his particular rig. So I'm learning to embrace the "ghost in the machine" from now on..... similar to how everyone love what the DMM preamp or EP-3 preamp does to their tone.

Besides- if I ever need my original "base tone" back, I just put a buffer directly in front of the Echosex2. I have a foot switchable buffer (Wampler Clean Buffer, which was the precursor to the current Decibel), and I have the best of both worlds.
Hey Ruger! i read in one of your previous post your unit has a little hi-loss.. is not a defection of the circuit.. it's only the tube..
we left our previous Quality Check procedure and get a new one.. it's insane, but works: every single tube it's tested directly into an Echosex 2° pcb. and plugged into a true bypass looper, so i can hear if there's some slight difference of volume or hi-loss when Unit is in the chain or not. Before i only test with instruments the balancing of internal triodes of the 12AX7B, now, after the normal tube selection, i do this test.
Same tubes are available as spare replacing tubes in our Gurus Points, if you want you can get one and i'm sure you will solve that "issue"..

TimeSnow

Hey Ruger! i read in one of your previous post your unit has a little hi-loss.. is not a defection of the circuit.. it's only the tube..
we left our previous Quality Check procedure and get a new one.. it's insane, but works: every single tube it's tested directly into an Echosex 2° pcb. and plugged into a true bypass looper, so i can hear if there's some slight difference of volume or hi-loss when Unit is in the chain or not. Before i only test with instruments the balancing of internal triodes of the 12AX7B, now, after the normal tube selection, i do this test.
Same tubes are available as spare replacing tubes in our Gurus Points, if you want you can get one and i'm sure you will solve that "issue"..

I chose the ES2 in that blind delay test, but even if I didn't I'd consider this pedal because of the way you guys do business.

[Compare this to the T1M thread]

R.C.Moran

Gold Supporting Member
Yes, Gurus is excellent on the customer service end, friendly and genuinely interested in how folks like their products.

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member

Could you be more specific on how to obtain one of these tested tubes? I don't see anything called "Gurus Points" or spare tubes on your website?

edgie

I placed a deposit on mine on a layaway plan and I hope to have it by the 3rd week of June from the dealer here in Singapore. I was eyeing one from one of our members here in TGP in the Emporium but my cash flow timing is off andI decided I need to try first if I will like it with my own rig before I make a big purchase so I went with the local dealer route.

It's the best delay I tried in sound and feel. It's very addictive and it just makes you want to keep on playing as you move settings. I'm not really sure what the tube does to the signal as I'm not that technical when it comes to electronics but the sound is what I will describe as fat yet clear. I tested the limited edition but I think I'll get almost the same sound with the standard. It's really one awesome product for guys like me who don't want screen menus, complicated controls, etc. on their delays.

Slideman

I picked up the LTD version. I'm extremely pleased with the Echorec tones coming from the Echosex 2. I was fortunate to have tried a real Binson in the studio I recorded at, and while this is from my experience over a year ago, as I recall this pedal really nails those echo tones, including the unpredictable nature of the modulation and the touch sensitive response of the echo to how hard/soft you play. Chords are lush when picking lightly while also very percussive when digging in. I also have the CB Echorec which is a fantastic pedal as well; however, I found the preamp on the Echosex to be a wonderful tone enhancer... much warmer and "analog sounding" than the CB IMO. The CB has more versatility in terms of the multi-head features and size; but the Echosex has it's own special vibe going for it...it's by no means limited in any way. I was lost in this pedal for hours. I did not have any noise or hiss issues at all...dead quiet in front of my amp or in the loop. And while I opted for the unit with less delay time (400 mls) - I just wish it had a tad 40 mls more lol....but no regrets.

Slideman

Just some quick vids fooling around I did on iPhone to get a sense of diversity. One clip is a reverby ballad with a long swell. Another clip demonstrates both the percussiveness and arpeggio ability just with pick attack...a bit Floyd like.

edgie

Nice clips Slideman!

Does yours seem to have a gritty sound because of the humbucker pickups, drive pedal, or is the LTD grittier than the standard?

Just got my standard version tonight and 2 hours just passsed by so fast. :) Mine doesn't have the noise that some early buyers encountered and I've set it with the buffer on to allow trails. It's being powered with a Cioks Adam on 9v with 250 mA and I notice that the headroom is big enough even with just 9v when I run my Fetto Maximus drive thru it.

Last edited:

Slideman

Nice clips Slideman!

Does yours seem to have a gritty sound because of the humbucker pickups, drive pedal, or is the LTD grittier than the standard.

Just got my standard version tonight and 2 hours just passsed by so fast. :) Mine doesn't have the noise that some early buyers encountered and I've just set mine with the buffer on to allow trails. It's being powered with a Cioks Adam on 9v with 250 mA and I notice that the headroom is big enough even with just 9v when I run my Fetto Maximus drive thru it.

Edgie, No grittiness from the LTD at all. I was driving it with a Wampler Plexidrive set to a mild OD. Headroom is great and no noise!

oil

Just got my Echosex today. I am extremely impressed. It does effect the overall tone, on or off, in a really good way. It sits in the mix is beautifully and doesn't take over. Very special indeed. I have never tried a real Binson but I have had almost every delay pedal there is. Early days, but I really think this is a keeper, as others have said, you just want to keep playing. It is pretty simple and does what it says in the tin. It is kind of dark, musical and soupy and at the same time has really nice clarity. Not so good at describing sounds, but hey, what a great day.

juice

Got mine in earlier this week and can't really contribute anything that hasn't already been said. One of my favorite delays of the past has always been the Skreddy for it's dark, luscious repeats and I stupidly got rid of mine a long time ago. After reading through everything here and hearing the clips I took a gamble and decided to try this out. LOVE. Hours seem to get lost in that beautiful texture this pedal provides. And it's just so freaking beautiful to look at:

echosex.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom