Gurus Echosex T7E

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ruiner, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Ruiner

Ruiner Member

everyone has been asking for a video and it's finally here and an hour later i'm the only comment??? Do you people actually work at work??? You're supposed to use that time to visit forums and watch gear demos!

2. XISTH

XISTH Member

Hold your horses. Extract of a message from Soundgas:

“The bad news is we are not happy with the quality control, or lack thereof, from Gurus.
    I excitedly opened serial 001 to find it had a slightly cracked faceplate. We then checked two more at random and found poor paint finishes and blemishes, fingerprints on faces etc. All the printed sleeves of the packaging are marked and scuffed.”

The email goes into detail about blemishes on the particular unit I was allocated. THIS INCLUDES A CONCERN ABOUT THE DELAY STILL SOUNDING IN THE BACKGROUND WHILST THE EFFECT IS SWITCHED OFF IN TRAILS MODE.

All of the above, plus a 3 month wait have put me off this unit. For over £500 we expect better. Sorry Gurus but until you up your game, I’M OUT.

YMMV

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  3. Boba7

Boba7 Member

Hmmm all this for an overpriced souped up pt2399 delay... seriously... seems a bit crazy, imho.
    (sorry guys, don't mean to offend anyone)

Texas_Blues likes this.
  4. Pwurso

Pwurso Member

Does this mean that the delay is still picking up the guitar input and audibly effecting it when bypassed?
    Trails mode is supposed to keep the delay going when bypassed without further input interaction, correct?

5. seiko

seiko Member

THe oscilation -- as demoed -- sounds pretty weak compared to multi-head units I've tried, as well as the CB Echorec, or the Nemisis. The repeats sound a bit muted too. Is the delay DSP, PT2399, or what?

6. Pwurso

Pwurso Member

4 x PT2399
    Also, this demo is pretty weak (and distorted), so I wouldn't be too worried about the sound based on it alone. They didn't try the oscillation with shorter delay settings, which would make it much more pronounced.

7. Michael_V

Michael_V Member

Skreddy Echo is PT2399 so it can sound great in the right hands...

8. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member

I’ve mostly been lurking on this thread, but I love Binsons so I was hopeful this would be killer. It’s dissapointing to hear that after all of the delays they still shipped multiple pedals w flaws. Especially if it’s to the point a dealer says, “Ah, no.” I’ve not seen that before.

Texas_Blues and ellsworthman like this.
  9. lxy108

lxy108 Member

Does @Gurus Amps have any comment?

10. Pwurso

Pwurso Member

It's 1am in Italy currently. Give 'em some time, hopefully they will reply soon.

11. Ruiner

Ruiner Member

He's actually stuck in an airport in Russia overnight. I mentioned he should come to the thread so hopefully he will when he gets an opportunity in the morning.

12. Gurus Amps

Gurus Amps Member

Something happens during transport and we’re swapping the units they told us were damaged as obvious..

The question about the delay, as i’ve explained to Tony, may happens only if you set all controls to max, like in his video.. but who would use repeats at max with trails mode?! Trails option is to let the delay softly decay when you stop it.. please deeply read the manual when you’ll get your units guys, so it would be clear how to set the input control and the volume of echo to use the T7E at his best, without hearing nothing, without distorting it.. there were same controls in the grandpa..

13. Black_Label

Black_Label Silver Supporting Member

Wow. It really seems to sound like a Binson! I'd love to grab one of these and do a side-by-side with my T6F-A.

14. Gurus Amps

Gurus Amps Member

It’s always hard to compare it to a single unit, but the magic is still te same..

Black_Label likes this.
  15. Gurus Amps

Gurus Amps Member

the pt2399 it’s only a little part in the process that create that sound, in OUR pedal.. the market is full of pedal with that chip.. and some you mentioned sounds great, some other sounds bad.. it’s a matter of HOW you use that chip.. not the same schematic for an echosex or a dolby surround home theater, where it was used for... in the T7E we chose to use 4 of it to simulate not only the single heads, and it was easier for use to make the fine tuning and replicate the different interactions of the combinations, that sounds differents and make the heads have a different behavior when used single or in combination with other.. that’s why i asked to spend a little time to understand it.. not putting all controls to max, (even the motor adj....) and claims “it’s not like something”... about “oscillation”.. oscillation of what? Of a single head? Of a couple? Ot three? It’s very different.. maybe the T7E has quite less oscillation of an old binson, (if the head were old, usually the techs use to high up the gain trim of the single head...) anyhow, this was a request of Alan, that told me that oscillation is beutiful, but it’s actually a defect, in the sense that anybody would use the incredibly high noise that it could reach out self oscillating, so asked me to set the point were the oscillation is still beautiful and useful, but you can let him oscillate only keeping the tone open.. i’ve seen some of the binson inspired you mentioned, have not the tone filter in the same place of the real one, and they work different. The tone is not on the input signal, it’s between writing and playback head.. This males the Repeats ONLY gets brighter or darker.. if you are using the feedback low, obviously it wouldn get it clearer.. and sure it wouldn’t oscillate..

lxy108, Tri Pedal Reviews and Pwurso like this.
  16. RockAltVintBluesSoul

RockAltVintBluesSoul Supporting Member

Can it sound darker than in the video? Can it cover Echosex 2 and Echosex 2 LTD darkest to brightest ranges? Everything in that clip was very bright.

Also, will there be a demo soon with a guitar player playing it? That demo was not very useful. I would be kind of upset with Soundgas. I am sure they are frustrated with damaged pedals, but you should probably also be frustrated that that was the video they put out. All these people waiting to hear your pedal. Maybe that is on you, but if I built a pedal like this, I would want the first demo to be somebody who can really play the guitar, not just twiddle the knobs.

17. MrFuzzTone

MrFuzzTone Supporting Member

A few people in a rush or a tizzy?
    The age of the expectation of instant gratification or else ...
    Yes, I have one ordered.
    No, I am not cancelling, reordering, cancelling, ...
    I am curious to get one to try in person. I like the echosex 2.
    My complaint is that I already have too many good delay pedals.

18. Pwurso

Pwurso Member

The input was maximum, so it sounded bright. Lowering the input would change the impedance and darken tone.

19. lxy108

lxy108 Member

Personally I am looking forward to Bjorn at Gilmourish.com to take this for a spin...

mcmSEA, Liquid_Mojo and Advisable Owl like this.
  20. Michael_V

Michael_V Member

I wouldn’t say a tizzy, but Gurus Amp’s repeated inability to meet stated deadlines or deliver a working product safely to its retailers are certainly causes for concern, especially for a pedal that costs this much so I get it. Personally, I love my Skreddy Echo and will live whether or not a T7E ever comes my way. Effectrode apparently has an actual drum version in the works, and Dawner Prince is supposedly working on a tube driven version of their awesome Boonar so it’s not like we won’t have good choices going forward.