Gustavsson Futuremaster. NGM

mykljpao

So, this has been New Guitar Month, lol. A few weeks ago I acquired the JG Futuremaster that was in the emporium. On receipt I was not totally blown away as I was when I first laid hands on a BM59. In fact, I was a little disappointed...the neck was bigger than either of my Bms. The guitar was plainer than I usually go for and the sound was "different" than I was accustomed to.
3 wks later I can honestly say that this thing is ABSOFREAKINGLUTELY AMAZING!!! I thought Johan's usual perfection was slipping as it sounded like something was rattling on the guitar....until I realized that it resonates SO MUCH that the pup selector switch was vibrating such that I could hear it. The neck now feels just as comfy as the Bm59s and the sound is to die for. I've never owned a Korina instrument before and it was just a new palette for me. It has sweet but snappy highs. Ample mids and a rich tight low end. It can go from forward and punchy to delicate and sublime in an instant. Sweet is the one word that comes to mind immediately. Incredible balance both across and up the fretboard. The vol and tone controls are ridiculously responsive with audible changes for the slightest adjustment. As you roll the tone control down, the highs don't disappear, they are just more muted but the guitar sounds more and more "woody" up to nearly the end of the taper where it begins to really emphasize the bass. And, the coil tapped throbacks turn it into a virtual tele.
I've been playing this out a lot the past couple weeks and without exception I get more compliments and questions from players and listeners alike.
The first day or two I was wondering if I might have to just turn this over. Now I can't imagine giving it up! Many thanks to Johan for crafting another exquisite instrument, Steve R for passing this along and Matte for giving me the exactly RIGHT advice. This is such a great time to be playing guitar.

s.tuliebitz

quit smeckin' around
congrats!
my favorite solidbody

IMG_20120922_1308412.jpg

Pa'ani

Silver Supporting Member
Glad it worked out for you on your newly acquired Gustavsson Futuremaster.

mykljpao

Do you have the larger neck carve?

Not really sure, lol. I was under the impression that it had a 59 neck carve but it feels closer to the 58 carve on my PBG JG Special. Hefty with pretty big shoulders. The 58 felt huge at first ( I've got small hands) and this felt pretty substantial...much moreso than either BM59 with 59 carves. However, neck shapes don't really bother me. After playing this a lot recently it feels awesome...just as the Special does after I got accustomed to it.

As for pics, sorry guys, I'm still a dinosaur and don't have a photobucket account or equivalent...wish I could just post pics off my computer. I'll see what I can do. Looks like a Futuremaster, lol....no bling, just lots of golden, old Korina. I would have preferred black and gold but mine is nickel and white guard. With the way it sounds, I couldn't care less what it looks like, lol!

Love the CC pups in the pic posted. Are they Dom's? I've got a set of his in one of my BM59s. Gorgeous detail.

Johan added some extra fairy dust to these...I'm just stunned by the articulation and touch sensitivity.

s.tuliebitz

quit smeckin' around
Love the CC pups in the pic posted. Are they Dom's? I've got a set of his in one of my BM59s. Gorgeous detail.

Johan added some extra fairy dust to these...I'm just stunned by the articulation and touch sensitivity.

they are Dom's- thanks! I agree with you on all accounts- happy holidays and keep enjoying your FM!

narad

It's Johan so it's obviously a top-notch instrument, but that just sounds like describing the korina effect to me! :)

mykljpao

Narad, could very well be as I've never had a Korina guitar before. However, the Korina alone doesn't sound like much as a slab sitting on a bench somewhere ;). Takes some talent to fashion an instrument that sounds like this and you're right, it's Johan so it is his typical flawless workmanship and attention to detail that I am playing.

I sat in with a band last night and within minutes the other guitarist said "WTF is THAT??" while shaking his head. Today I had a cd release with the Mill City Growlers and a bunch of local players were all commenting on and asking about it.

S.t, I'd love to hear the CC's in this platform and it just looks so classy. Play it in good health and wishing you the best this season.

nbessie1

Platinum Supporting Member
That is one of my all-time favorite OPs!

Now I really want a Gustavsson!

scottcw

Low rent hobbyist
Silver Supporting Member
I wonder if the OP still has this guitar almost 8 years after the last post.

mykljpao

LOL. I just happened to stumble across this old thread. In answer to your question....I absolutely still have the Futuremaster. I still have all of the JG's I've managed to acquire over the years. They will be the last guitars on the shelf when all the others have moved on. To date, my favorite (which is an anomaly as I've never liked maple boards until this beauty) is this Fullerblaster Thinline with Lollartrons. Super light, responsive with a sound all it's own (BIG single coil articulation with girth of a HB) No pics of that on this computer but this is the other JG that is usually on every country gig I do
face closeup.jpg
full front.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom