Gustavsson has disappeared from the map?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by micamused, Oct 3, 2016.

1. 57gold

57gold Member

Might be better to fly to Geneva to pick it up.

2. theon

theon Supporting Member

Seems as though Johan Gustavsson crafted 2 Bluesmaster "Vento" guitars.

The Reverb Bluesmaster Vento P90 has control plates.

Facebook page Vento has no back plates.
    Control/wiring harness was fed through the treble pickup cavity according to Johans Facebook post.

Would not mind having either or both.:D
    Nice dream 'cause it's not going to happen!

[​IMG]

3. eddie101

eddie101 Gold Supporting Member

Never say never

theon and Baemer like this.
  4. eddie101

Why makes it hard for your repair guy? :huh

theon likes this.
  5. theon

theon Supporting Member

I hear you @eddie101. That Vento looks beautiful without those control cavity covers.

Mahogany plates would look better than those black plastic plates.

6. 57gold

57gold Member

A luthier built instrument, made under the control of one person, is a privilege and a luxury to own and play.

In a fair world, one that values a master's skills, his labor and his 100% control of the production process, his instruments should garner a significant premium versus a shop made instrument; even if it made to the quality of say the Collings shop or Suhr Guitars. I believe that this is something that these shops have realized as they have decided to attach premium pricing to their small production instruments, like Collings ATs at $14-20K and Suhr's beautiful Aura at $8K, which has the John's personal fret work and set up.

Guessing that Johann is backed up for many months, in spite of his pricing. Given his personal attention to every instrument that bears his name, the production time for his pristinely made instruments, the cost of his exceptional materials and the general business overhead costs in a place like Sweden, his pricing has to be at a premium for him to make a comfortable living.

All of this is not great news for working musicians in a world that, in my opinion, greatly undervalues the efforts of the majority of performing musicians. In a perfect world, all of the 1950s LPs, ESs, pre CBS Strats, vintage D'Angelicos, pre war Martins...would be easily available to working professionals and recording artists.

Good news is that guys like Jack Pearson can play an entry level (@$400) Strat and make great music with it and at 25-40% of the cost of a new JG, there are many fantastic shop made instruments available to players...perhaps more than at any time ever.

7. 57gold

57gold Member

Agree, luxury is the keyword.

From my perspective, I'm very happy playing my I-35 Deluxe with Throbaks, which is similar in materials and construction to the Bluesmaster Semi (solid maple and mahogany), both made to the highest standards and the Collings is like 1/2 the freight. Even at 1/2 the JG, some would say that the I-35 D is a luxury.

A great player like you could make fine music with a D'Angelico or Ibanez ES style instrument at 1/4 the freight of the I-35 D. Would probably need professional setup and new pickups to optimize playability and tone, but if you searched for a primo example of those guitars (straight neck and good angle, resonant and light), one would have what is needed.

So, as I have had to remind my youngest daughter, who frequently mistakes luxury for necessity resulting in her recurring near empty bank account, "you can't always get what you want...."

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  8. The bear

The bear Member

I think if we guitarists only had one instrument it would make sense to justify spending that type of money on it. Cellists and violinists do..But we have so many guitars. The astrocasters and fuller blasters really aren't priced that bad, I guess it's similar to a master built Fender.

Baemer likes this.
  9. eddie101

Whats the $$ on Astro please?

10. The bear

The bear Member

I have no idea what the current pricing it, it might have gone up not sure. Better contact Johan or a dealer.

11. 57gold

57gold Member

There is a great looking used, 2016 build in Inca Silver, a great and rare Fender custom color from the early 1960s appropriately with a green guard and RW board, on Reverb for $6K asking.

Thought of chasing this Mary Kaye homage down, but it was in Germany and I couldn't get a clear view on delivered cost (-VAT, plus shipping and tariffs):

[​IMG]

The bear likes this.
  12. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Lotsa dough for a bolt on...

There are a few other "players" in the luxury guitar market, Yaron and Bartlett are probably in the same boat as far as build quality, materials and reputation, but can be found at more affordable prices. Heck, I would put the $3500 Probett Rockett 59 that I owned for a while up against these builders.

There is a price to be paid for "boutique goods", not too many Gustavson's out there..

13. 57gold

57gold Member

Own and enjoy playing a Bartlett Retrospec and Probett Rocket III, both fantastic instruments. Probett gets my endorsement as the least expensive route to experiencing a fine luthier built instrument.

JG's work, in my opinion, results in a sublimely playable and esthetically beautiful instruments that, to me, are worth the premium pricing. YMMV. I am fortunate to have the means to pay the premium and experience the work of several of the top builders.

Yup, $6K is lots of dough for a bolt on. Just restrung my Astrocaster to play tomorrow night, could be playing a 1957, 1958 or 1964 Strat, but the JG plays better and sounds just as sweet. Took a photo as we like photos. In a very sweet Harvest leather case, added a photo of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had not seen Fender Master Built, Custom Shop within the Custom Shop instruments recently, they are in the $7-8K range. Lentz Reserve guitars, which some buddies of mine swear by are @$7K. Then there are the D'Pergos, played one and it was sweet, looked into ordering one and proposed pricing of @$14K scared my old ass away.

Need another guitar like a I need a hole in the head and in spite of this, I thought of putting in a bid for the sweet Inca Silver Astrocatser...and if the Dotmaster on JGG's site was available, I'd have trouble controlling myself.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    Baemer, GiorgioV, The bear and 5 others like this.
  14. BenFrantz

BenFrantz Supporting Member

I was fortunate to own the Inca Astro mentioned above. When I had it I had my D’Pergo and Lentz all at the same time...hog heaven it was. Then I needed money and something had to go but that was a difficult choice that I sometimes regret.

15. 57gold

57gold Member

Inca Silver Astrocaster needs a photo:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    shallbe and The bear like this.
  16. The bear

The bear Member

I had a student show up with a shell pink Astrocaster, it was a nice guitar but I have played Fender custom shop Strats on the same level, even non master built. My CS thinline tele holds it's own against any small maker I have played, I actually like it better.

17. eddie101

At the end of the day, it ain’t the wand it’s the magician ;)

aeiou (why?) and The bear like this.
  18. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I really like the Gustavssons I've owned. 2 BMs, 1 BM-S, 2 Futuremasters, and 2 Fullerblasters. They were all very well built, sounded great and played great. In the end I still prefer my '03 R7 and Collings I35LC aged.

Thor, The bear and fretnot like this.
  19. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

I have always wondered if the tone of the BMs got close to the classic Les Paul tone.

eddie101 likes this.
  20. 54GT

54GT Silver Supporting Member

I'll be the contrarian. I've never played a BM but owned a first run Futuremaster for a while. It was very well constructed but try as I might for several years of putting it away and trying it again, I never bonded with it and was never at all impressed by how it sounded. I've played other korina guitars and I know they have a different attack than others, but that wasn't it as much as I found it soulless (it had a set of very nice Throbaks so I don't think that was it. Maybe it was just that particular guitar -- I know it has been sold at least twice in the 2.5 years since I let it go so that may be telling something.
    (And it once again demonstrated to me that if I don't bond with a guitar quickly, it is unlikely it will happen down the road.)