Gustavsson, Les Pauls, etc. compared...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bluehugh2, Aug 18, 2006.

1. bluehugh2

bluehugh2 Gold Supporting Member

I'm here to report on the Goings On at Pete's Temple of Tone last night when a few on the faithful got together for a Tonefest and a few mugs of amber nectar followed by a noodlefest at the local Vietmanese Eatery. Let me make it clear that no animals were harmed in the testing of these instruments. The guitars... Gustavsson(the Les Paul type one w/voodoo pickups), original Baker B1C, Baker Crucible Proto #1, Les Paul Murphy aged R7, Les Paul R9, Historic SG Les Paul, Historic Firebird III w/Antiquity(for comic relief - not tested). We went thru these guitars using a Komet amp set at about 12 o'clock... The first thing I should say is that although we expected there to be one or two "losers" - perhaps lacking in character or resonance, etc.(resulting in the offering of said instrument(s) for sale immediately after the Tonefest)... there were no losers in the pack(although I did pickup the B1C)! All these instruments had their "own thing going on" and they were all great guitars! Everyone was watching the new bad boy on the block - the Gustavsson. Is it really THAT good? Read on to find out!... So maybe I'll just list the guitars and the general comments... Historic SG - very strong in the upper-mids, a bit nasty and aggressive, not smooth, lots of breakup(as expected), might sit the best with a band but a bit harsh on it's own after the other "Perry Como smooth" sounding guitars. Baker B1C - very low output Holmes pickups at 7.83k/7.00k resistance, very pretty and clear sounding, lots of chime, a similar character to the Gustavsson, the coil splits really seemed not super usable, very playable guitar too, a marvelous and versatile guitar. Les Paul Murphy R7 with Tom Holmes pickups - smooth but with good breakup, at first we thought the bridge pickup sounded a bit thin but it's subtle, kind of a one trick pony, but a classic sound. Les Paul R9 with burstbuckers - a different take on the R7 with Holmes pickups, the differences between the two Les Pauls were like variations of the same breed, the Les Pauls seem to be less versatile than the other guitars here but they do what they do so well! Baker Crucible Proto with PRS Artist pickups - this guitar has that versatile quality that Bakers perhaps have over Les Pauls but the PRS pickups add a touch of modern aggression, 8k/9k pickups, we all felt that this guitar would be interesting with a pickup change, so although modern sounding there was a vintage quality to it at the same time. We felt like the Crucible COULD be stellar with changes. Although we're talking about subtle things here - the Crucible really rocks! Gustavsson - when we plugged this in one of the guys said; "did you just turn the volume up on the amp?", Nope... this guitar is just... loud!, But it's not the pickups, it's the wood... the pickups are low output voodoos, this guitar had great clarity and rolling back the volume cleaned it right up, very similar to the Baker B1C but MORE!, a HUGE voice, lots of harmonic richness with so little of the dirty thing that the LPs demonstrate, this guitar really sings! The JG deserves it's reputation, probably, by subtle degrees, the best of the bunch, but at twice the price of the rest of the instruments here, you might still buy any of the other guitars played here and a boutique amp to boot! Next Tonefest will be P90 guitars...

2. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Cool! Thanks for the efforts and report.

3. Unburst

Unburst Member

Paragraphs are a reader's best friend.

4. CharlieS

CharlieS Member

I'll take a stab at a format...

"I'm here to report on the Goings On at Pete's Temple of Tone last night when a few on the faithful got together for a Tonefest and a few mugs of amber nectar followed by a noodlefest at the local Vietmanese Eatery. Let me make it clear that no animals were harmed in the testing of these instruments. The guitars... Gustavsson(the Les Paul type one w/voodoo pickups), original Baker B1C, Baker Crucible Proto #1, Les Paul Murphy aged R7, Les Paul R9, Historic SG Les Paul, Historic Firebird III w/Antiquity(for comic relief - not tested).

We went thru these guitars using a Komet amp set at about 12 o'clock... The first thing I should say is that although we expected there to be one or two "losers" - perhaps lacking in character or resonance, etc.(resulting in the offering of said instrument(s) for sale immediately after the Tonefest)... there were no losers in the pack(although I did pickup the B1C)! All these instruments had their "own thing going on" and they were all great guitars! Everyone was watching the new bad boy on the block - the Gustavsson. Is it really THAT good? Read on to find out!... So maybe I'll just list the guitars and the general comments...

Historic SG - very strong in the upper-mids, a bit nasty and aggressive, not smooth, lots of breakup(as expected), might sit the best with a band but a bit harsh on it's own after the other "Perry Como smooth" sounding guitars.

Baker B1C - very low output Holmes pickups at 7.83k/7.00k resistance, very pretty and clear sounding, lots of chime, a similar character to the Gustavsson, the coil splits really seemed not super usable, very playable guitar too, a marvelous and versatile guitar.

Les Paul Murphy R7 with Tom Holmes pickups - smooth but with good breakup, at first we thought the bridge pickup sounded a bit thin but it's subtle, kind of a one trick pony, but a classic sound.

Les Paul R9 with burstbuckers - a different take on the R7 with Holmes pickups, the differences between the two Les Pauls were like variations of the same breed, the Les Pauls seem to be less versatile than the other guitars here but they do what they do so well!

Baker Crucible Proto with PRS Artist pickups - this guitar has that versatile quality that Bakers perhaps have over Les Pauls but the PRS pickups add a touch of modern aggression, 8k/9k pickups, we all felt that this guitar would be interesting with a pickup change, so although modern sounding there was a vintage quality to it at the same time. We felt like the Crucible COULD be stellar with changes. Although we're talking about subtle things here - the Crucible really rocks!

Gustavsson - when we plugged this in one of the guys said; "did you just turn the volume up on the amp?", Nope... this guitar is just... loud!, But it's not the pickups, it's the wood... the pickups are low output voodoos, this guitar had great clarity and rolling back the volume cleaned it right up, very similar to the Baker B1C but MORE!, a HUGE voice, lots of harmonic richness with so little of the dirty thing that the LPs demonstrate, this guitar really sings!

The JG deserves it's reputation, probably, by subtle degrees, the best of the bunch, but at twice the price of the rest of the instruments here, you might still buy any of the other guitars played here and a boutique amp to boot! Next Tonefest will be P90 guitars..."

5. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

You could have thrown my crucible into this mix. Mine would have given you the "did you turn the amp up" thing as because its solid korina body and neck and weighs 10lbs it is LOUD......and the versatility of 2 p90's and the splitable seth lover in the bridge makes it a really versatile animal!! This one might have "hung" with the Gustavsson and been more versatile than the other Baker.....

6. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the interesting review! Would love to put a Gustavvson up against my R8 and my Grosh Set Neck. I'm pretty damn intrigued by that guitar.

7. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

Wow, really encouraging! Next time why don't you add something positive? Or form your own TGP (The Grammar Page)?
    Thanks for the comments , Hugh. And which noodles were the best?

8. Pete Faragher

Pete Faragher Gold Supporting Member

Yeah what is this ?.....Gear Page Grammar class. :rolleyes:

No thanks.

9. Pete Faragher

Geez did Hugh pay you for that or is this a first time freebe to promote your essay writing business.

10. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

I for one am grateful for the edit. I don't see all that well with glasses so it was a very courteous thing to do from my standpoint. I'm very glad bluehugh2 shared his experience, thanks! I'm glad CharlieS took the time to make it a bit easier to read. Thanks! Team effort, what a concept. By all means, the rest of you continue to find fault with people who try to be helpful. Evidently fault is the only thing some folks are able to see.:confused:

11. CharlieS

CharlieS Member

Just trying to help make it easier to read. I figured it was better than taking potshots.:rolleyes:

Thanks, Hamertoe. You figured out my intent.

BTW, thanks for the comparison, bluehugh!

12. bluehugh2

...actually, it was cool that Charlie S. organized my "James Joyce stream of consciousness" style into something more easily readable. I guess Unburst was just having a bad day...
    Anyway, the real story here is that the GUSTAVSSON LIVED UP TO ITS REPUTATION when placed under the microscope!!!

13. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

I would have killed to be at that one. Waiting on the results of your P90 guitar shootout, because I believe one of them was my LP 54 RI Goldtop with the chambering (this guitar is still amazing me...). I did have a chance to briefly play Pete's Gustavsson, and I agree it sets the new benchmark for LP-style guitars. Pricey, but to bastardize a Freak Brothers line, it's easier to live through times of no money with great Tone, than to have dough and be Toneless. Everything about the JG is just "right", particularily the neck carve. Better go check my lottery numbers...-Eric.

14. bluehugh2

Eric, that P90 Cloud 9 of yours is just killer! We haven't done the P90 shootout yet, but here's a potential list:
    Baker Robben Ford
    Cloud 9 Les Paul
    1950s Les Paul Junior
    Late 50s Special
    2000 Historic Special
    Ernie Ball MM w/p90s
    1960 Melody Maker w/one p90
    1956 Gibson ES5
    and more!...

15. Pete Faragher

Add to that..
    Besides my RF with P-90's
    I have a Baker "junior" #008, see-thru yellow Korina with 1 P-90
    Baker BJ with 2 P-90's and a wrap around bridge (Black Limba)
    PRS McCarty soapbar
    EB Albert Lee with 3 P-90's

That should take some time.

Pete

16. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Thatreviewwasreallyhardtoreadbutthanksforpostingitpuctuationisoveratted.

17. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

Nice write-up Mr Hughbert!

So where are you getting the 1950s Les Paul Junior and Late 50s Special from Hugh?

Actually it's a 1960 Les Paul TV special:drool and a 57 Les Paul Jr.:BEER

18. Catfish

Catfish Member

I really enjoyed and appreciated the reviews - especially because I am considering buying a JG.

For your p-90 tonefest, please try to include some variation on the old Les Paul Custom with mahogany top, p-90 in the bridge and Alnico V in the neck - my absolute favorite Gibson-style single coil. That said, I do understand that these guitars are hard to find, other than the new Gibson historics, which I am less than crazy about. If in the NYC/NJ area, I'll volunteer mine.

19. bluehugh2

OK V-Verb so I'm taking it for granted that you'll bring your old wood! And by the way, when in T.O. the noodles are best at Pho Saigon followed closely by Pho Hung

20. dogbone94

dogbone94 Supporting Member

here the baker ptot #1.. and it is coming back home to me... dave
    [​IMG]