Gustavvsons and Original 59 'Bursts: How does JG do it?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by phoenix 7, Jul 26, 2006.

1. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Several people have mentioned that the Gustavvson Bluesmaster is closer to a real 59 'burst than anything they've played. People say that the Gustavvson has the 3D sound, resonance, etc., that makes it closer to a 59 than other guitars. My question is this: What is it *exactly* that makes the Gustavvson closer to a real burst than the other Les Paul-oid guitars. Is JG using older, better quality wood? And what other factors might be involved?

2. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I think the wood is defintely part of it. The other part of it is the intangible nature of luthery as an art. The guy's just got the stuff. That's something that is very difficult to quantify.

3. phoenix 7

Makes sense to me, though I'm not totally convinced about the "intangible" part. If JG is making guitars that are consistently superior to the other burst-type guitars (which a lot of people believe), then there is something or some things that he is consistently *doing* that make his guitars superior - some physical charateristic/s that make the JG's better. I'm sure the wood is part of it. Is he using old growth stuff or something that makes his guitars closer to the real bursts?

In addition to the wood, maybe he's doing something others aren't. And maybe that's JG's secret and nobody except JG knows what it is. But I doubt it's some intangible quality or mojo. I'm curious about exactly what that is (partly because I'm interested in ordering one). Maybe that's an answerable question, maybe not.

4. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

I have a feeling that even some of the most discriminating people are prone to being influenced by hype. Then again, I think that's a good thing as it allows amazing instruments to continue being made, and hell, believing the hype might do something for your playing... :) (and I think hype and mojo, while not equal, are related) - that may be the 'intangible' factor.

5. TRIODEROB

TRIODEROB Senior Member

I have an idea what it is

1) eastern maple that is air dried over years time
    2) central american mahogany that is air dried over time
    3) horse hide glue to join them which dries rock hard
    4) a nitro formula that does not have plasicizers to keep it from cracking
    5) lollar or wolfe pickups (the 2 best guys out there)
    6) no rubber collar on the truss rod to steal tone

just a guess

6. phoenix 7

Yeah - this is exactly the kind of thing I was getting at. Do we know for sure if JG is actually doing all of the above? And is nobody else doing all of the above? Thanks for all the replies so far.

7. fyler

fyler Member

this is all i can find on JG's site.

8. TRIODEROB

TRIODEROB Senior Member

yes that is what he does and gibson does not do.
    they use a nitro spray that is tackey, cheap machine wind pickups,
    god knows what kind of glue, wood that is kin dried fast not aged over
    years. the original bursts used the methods JG is using.
    if you want a real burst go for a JG
    :AOK

9. Fantom1

Fantom1 Member

Having old growth wood, that has been aged for a very long time (I believe the first batch was from wood that had been drying at least 50-60 years) is probably a huge part of it. Most luthiers probably cannot source wood like that.

10. CDaughtry

CDaughtry Member

Bingo!:dude

11. gitman

gitman Member

among the more interested players and lovers of fine guitars ( this forum ) it's agreed that we do live in the golden age of instrument making. never before has this much knowledge and technology been available to the luthiers
    the world over that helps them to build superiour instruments. i seriuosly doubt that the majority of these artists are unaware of the effect that cured, air dried tone wood has on the tone quality of guitars ( and fiddles, flutes etc ) . Mr. Gustafson cannot be the only one. we also agree that no 2 guitars sound the same so who is to say which one of 2 JG's or 2 '59 bursts is the better one ? no 2 pre-war Martins sound the same and they sometimes sound better than most newer guitars because a) they were well kept, b) have been made out of exceptionally stable wood ( which is pure chance ) and c) because they had all this time to mature - a thing that old people and old guitars and old wine have in common ;-) who is to say how the Gustavsons of today will sound like in 50 years ? will the PRS's appreciate in tone or not, only because they are glued together with modern, synthetic glues ?
    my point here is this : it's really pointless to compare apples and oranges and tastes all the more. i just enjoy a good instrument, admire the artist who can make them and in the case of Gustavson ( and Huber, for the same money ) , i very much enjoy the fact that these 2 guys work in Sweden and Germany and create such a rumble ! who knows, maybe the next great builder will set the world on fire from out of - the Ukraine , or
    South Africa ? i know that there is a great reservoire of the finest alpine spruce and maple in the Ural mountains and who knows what extra-ordinary tone-woods are awaiting their discovery in the forests of Africa .....golden times. for guitars at least .:)

12. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Some food for thought....JG's look to be very fine guitars but no '59 sounds identical to any other '59 and I suspect that no JG sounds exactly like any other JG. Are there great and average JG's, just like there are great and average '59's? Has anybody here actually played any real '59 next to any JG in the same room, with the same amp, at the same time? Who are these very fortunate people that you are basing your premise on!? I'd love to play either but the thought of both in the same room.....:drool

edit to add....looks like you had some of the same comments, gitman.

13. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I'd like to meet someone who can hear a truss rod condom. Talk about "golden ears". The money that person could make is beyond huge. :D

14. TRIODEROB

TRIODEROB Senior Member

every guy knows you dont want to use a condom unless you have to.

:moon

15. CDaughtry

CDaughtry Member

I do it virtually every day...:dude

16. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I should know better than to pose that question here!!!:jo :D

17. Don L

Don L Member

18. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

Another reason I like to hang out here...the DOH moments:cool:

Seriously, I vote old wood and good glue and patience to pay attention to the details of the craft.

19. JPERRYROCKS

JPERRYROCKS Member

Yeah, but you have to realize that none of JG's guitar have even been cheap. Even several years ago, it was around 5 grand for one of his guitars, which is now closer to $8000.

You really can expect a mass production company like Gibson to hunt down old growth mahogany that's 50 years old. There's a big difference in making 50 guitars a year as a 1 man shop and making 10,000 as a big company. There simply isn't enough of this wood to go around.

So few people have ever plugged in and played a real 58-60 paul that they don't even have anything to compare it to. There's a lot of hype around 50's pauls and it's more collector and perceived value than anything. These were simple factory workers making guitars, and I doubt a lot of them were these master luthiers that everybody makes them out to be.

20. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

Yes it DOES make a difference. Rubber has high vibration dampening qualities- this in and of itself should be enough to convince the inquiring mind that it's at least a strong possibility...not to mention the fact that it runs the whole length of the neck under the fingerboard.

That horrid sleeve mutes things.

Old growth wood is the other main factor, and an even more important one than the trussrod condom.