Gut bucket slow Texas country ballad

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by smv929, Mar 25, 2020.

1. smv929

smv929 Member

Although I love old style country and good country guitar, I never thought I'd just absolutely love a tune like this. It's Weldon Henson doing When Did You Stop Loving Me in a Texas honkey tonk. I had never heard of him or the song. I only stumbled onto the video while deep diving for some live Red Volkaert. Weldon and the band sing/play the you know what out this slow grinding ballys tune. Good job guys.

03hal, Bob Pollock and Clyde Billt like this.
  2. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

George Strait originally cut that song for the soundtrack to his movie, Pure Country.

Dang, that was 28 years ago.

I'm getting old.

3. 27sauce

27sauce Member

For sure. That tune is a standard around these parts.

4. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

Oh, yea, I've played it. Lot's of other bands I've seen around Austin do it. Around meaning all them joints in Walburg or Hutto or wherever.

I love the steel on the original Strait version. I worked it up, took me while. Really cool parts.

On another note, I've played The Spoke. Lowest ceiling over a bandstand ever, I think, lol. With cowboy boots and a hat on, it was pretty close, I remember.

03hal and 27sauce like this.
  5. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

Damn, I didn't notice it on the small screen in the thread, only when I opened it on youtube.
    That is Ricky Davis on steel. Used to play with Dale Watson back a long time ago. Great player. Took non pedal lessons from him and did a gig with him subbing for our steel player once.
    I new the singers name sounded familiar.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    OM Flyer, BJW and 27sauce like this.
  6. BadHat

BadHat Supporting Member

Why do all these country singers have to do that little half yodel all the time? I hate it, makes me look for the stop button every time.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    tapeworm likes this.
  7. supergenius365

supergenius365 Supporting Member

Jimmy Rogers and Hank Williams.

8. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

Sounds more like Garth Brooks, to me.

27sauce likes this.
  9. 27sauce

27sauce Member

yeah, the guy in the vid sounds like a guy who was influenced by a guy that was influenced by a guy that was influenced by a guy that was into Hank Williams.

Bob Pollock and ripgtr like this.
  10. BadHat

BadHat Supporting Member

I had almost put in my post "You ain't Hank Williams or Garth Brooks, cut it out!" :D

11. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Which is funny to me...as far as I know there’s only one recorded version, which they’re playing...And Strait doesn’t sing that way. Why garthify a strait song?! It ain’t cool...

ripgtr and BadHat like this.
  12. smv929

smv929 Member

I know country guitar pretty well and like old country, but never really listened to the country radio hits enough to get down a lot of the Texas guys' vocal styles. I know Dwight inside and out and like his voice, although some hate that sound. I do like this guy in the video singing. I never really like Hank Sr's sound. Sounds thin and goofy.

All I know about Garth is I can't stand to watch him for more than 30 seconds. So I never learned his vocal style. He can sing and write and perform and make money and slide on his knees and be emotional, but there's just something visual about his body language presentation that is so obviously ego driven BS. He's probably a great human angel, nice guy. Just can't stand to watch him.

'56 Merc and 27sauce like this.
  13. specialidiot

specialidiot most likely to seceede Gold Supporting Member

I've ran into his shows around here in Hill Country a couple of times. Honky Tonkin' around here is a lot of fun.

ripgtr likes this.
  14. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

Yea, it is like all the young guitar players in Austin, sound like SRV.

The whole "hitch" in the voice thing has been in country forever, and Strait does it too. I know, I've sung, so listened closely, to a fair bit of Strait songs over the decades. But he does it as a subtle effect, occasionally. Garth over played it, like he was Trying too hard to sound country, and this is from a country player from upstate NY (damn yankee), lol. The funny thing is, when he did his rock album, I thought his singing was way better, more real. And it is kind of sad, makes it hard for me to listen to his stuff, cause he has some killer songs (except low places, that one should be outlawed. ugh).

By the way, I had learned that steel intro a while back, I've played bass on the song, doing a fill in with a band, but never sang it. I said what the heck, I'm not going anywhere, so I did up a version. I posted it over on the Member Video forum. Took me as long to do the vocals (and I'm still not 100% happy with them) as it did to do everything else. Strait is like that - it sounds really easy, til you try it.

Thing is the guy in the vid is actually a pretty good singer, I like his voice, but yea, the Garth thing kind of ruins it a bit.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    27sauce and Bob Pollock like this.