Guthrie Govan

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Yngtchie Blacksteen, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Yngtchie Blacksteen

Yngtchie Blacksteen Member

I travelled from Vardø all the way down to Sandnes to witness this. Guthrie Govan came to Norway on a tour promoting Suhr Guitars, and I finally got to see him play right before my eyes. It was incredible, he is without a doubt the best guitarist I've ever seen live, and I've never heard a more complete and proficient electric guitarist.

The day started with Guthrie signing autographs in a local boutique guitar shop called Godlyd, where I got to have the first chat with one of my musical idols:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After about two hours, we went over to a local blues club, where Guthrie held his masterclass for a bunch of geeky guitar nerds, myself included. Very informative, he really knows how to explain things in the easiest possible ways.

[​IMG]

The masterclass went on for more than two hours, and then it was time to catch a break. I had dinner with some fellow guitarists, and after a few more hours it was finally time for what we had all been waiting for; The Clinic.

Guthrie's clinic started out with him playing "Sevens" to a backing track, before Ed Yoon talked about Suhr guitars for a while. Then Guthrie played several tunes from his Erotic Cakes album, and he ended the show with a jam with local musicians. The first tunes were instrumental, and I didn't recognize them, but then when he was planning on calling it quits, I walked up to the stage and asked him to please play "Little Wing" with the band. Which he did, and it was an astonishing version, totally unlike any version I've ever heard. It was... Guthrie.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This had been the best concert experience of my life, and I thank Guthrie for delivering such a great show, and Godlyd for arranging it. Amazing. If you have the chance, go see Guthrie Govan live.

2. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Very cool! Congrats.

3. Kappy

Kappy Member

Congrats! Nice photos too.

I have to get to see this guy live some time. Hope he makes it out to the east coast soon.

Dave

P.S. Is that a modern or a standard?

4. Kaji13

Kaji13 Member

He always struck me as a very cool and skilled guy.

5. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

Just in case anyone needs a dose of just how good this guy is, check out the you tube clips of him playing the different jam tracks.

He's crazy good.

6. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

very cool. Guthrie is a remarkable musician

I know someone from England who has met Guthrie a few times and said he's one of the nicest "blokes" (as he put it) he ever met

7. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Nice...

I'm a GG fan meself.

:cool:

S.
    j

8. Graham Sloan

Graham Sloan Member

I love his playing - awesome!

9. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

Man, I am so pleased for you! Sitting there, talking to Guthrie, he looks totally attentive and into it. That's gotta be a thrill. And then he plays a concert 10 feet from you, AND takes a request! You are going to have a very hard time topping this experience! Congrats! P.S. And isn't it great when players that you admire turn out to be nice people, in addition to being killer players?

10. Broken Cord

Broken Cord Member

I think GG is one of the most masterful players with a complete understanding of the fretboard. I am somewhat envious of your getting to witness GG great playing up close and personal. Congratulations!

I too hope GG makes it to the East Coast....come to NY Guthrie!

11. Yngtchie Blacksteen

Yngtchie Blacksteen Member

Thanks, guys! It was so great to finally meet him, and we did speak several times that day, both before and after the show. We talked about the upsides and downsides of the Internet and especially YouTube, and he explained to me why he never uses sweep picking in his regular soloing.

Btw, in that very first pic, I'm explaining how 'Yngtchie' is spelled.

It's the Guthrie Govan Signature, which is kinda like a Modern with all the best features Suhr has to offer. Here's a pic I took after the gig:

[​IMG]

Guthrie working his magic on it:

[​IMG]

12. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I wish that I could do ONE thing as well as he does everything.

13. thirsty one

thirsty one Member

:clips

Somebody had to do it.

14. edgie

edgie Member

Yngtchie, would you care to share with us why Guthrie doesn't use sweep picking in his solos? Not that i like sweep picking (malmsteen-type sweep picking is actually my least favorite sound on the guitar), but i'm just curious. Paul Gilbert once said that he prefers string-skipping over it because if strings skipping facilitates more rythmic balance specially with alternate picking. I'd like to know what's Guthrie's take on it.

Guthrie is also one of my fave players. I always try to catch a Guitar Techniques issue whenever he has an article on it. This could be a very long shot, but i hope one day he comes here in Singapore.

15. JohnSykes

JohnSykes Member

Grats dude. Also, thats a cool Rainbow shirt, lol.

16. Kappy

Kappy Member

I hear a bunch of sweep picking in his playing, and a couple notable examples on his CD. I don't know the song names offhand. I think he does a big sweeping thing during one of the breaks in the song Fives, IIRC. I'll post back if I hear those songs again.

17. furry

furry Senior Member

interesting. I've long wondered why GG doesn't use Suhr amps, but he appears to be using them in this clinic. Has his endorsement deal with Cornford expired, or does he just use the Suhrs for clinics?

I'm quite sure Suhr could build an amp that Guthrie would find useful...

18. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

+ 1

19. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

It sounded to me like it was Guthrie doing a Suhr clinic, which would explain the Suhr amps being used too.

20. Lance

Lance Member

This is actually a combo of hammer-ons, pull-offs, and tapping with some string skipping. With REALLY long, stretched out hand positions. Watch the YT vid of it. Oh, and there's a guy that breaks it down note for note, and plays it in sections, so it's more easily grasped my us mere mortals. Man, that dude can play!