Guy at work tells you he has 25 guitars in his collection. Are you ______?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Void Pig, Jul 28, 2019.

1. motokev

motokev Member

I KNOW a few with more than 25 guitars.
    I know a guy with more than 50 amps.

When they tell me the NEWS, I think

Dam, you have GAS issues.

I have NO ROOM to criticize !

2. larry1096

larry1096 Member

"A guy at work noticed I'm into guitars and mentioned he had a collection.

Rather than talk to him about this common interest, I thought it would be more productive to make a bunch of assumptions about him based on his career success, his financial position and his height (!) and then post about it on a board LITERALLY named 'The Gear Page.'"

:cool:

Larry

3. orourke

orourke Member

This got ugly pretty fast.

4. DiAmoroso

DiAmoroso Member

I already know the OP better than he knows himself. That's sorta impressive, but it's even more so pathetic. Void Pig, no question you could benefit from some positivity in your life, you're obviously short on happiness and confidence.

Hawking, RCCola, Da Geezer and 3 others like this.
  5. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

Yeah, well Guitar George, he knows all the chords.

6. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I don't know that guy.

I have several people I know who keep threatening to buy every "underappreciated" USA Fender tube amp over 50 pounds, but then they think about how their wives would react and they chicken out.

7. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I think I'd be like 'cool, are you a touring muso or a session player'?

Everyone has a vice. If someone want's 25 amps or guitars knock yourself out. A guy that owned a music store said he owned 100 and said he was a crap player. I thought it was odd at the time but it was better than him being an alcoholic or drug addict.

If you get pleasure out of it...

But...if the 25 guitars or amps are an extension of ego...then that is not someone I'd be interested in talking to. I love talking gear but not as a dick measuring content.

8. Izy

Izy Member

If someone tells me he has 25 guitars.

I would ask him to show me his gear. Start a conversation with him. High five him.

Don't see the need to feel jealous or have negative perception of the person.

Its his money; he is allowed to spend it however he wishes to. There are lots of people who collect guitars, can't play. Thats alright too.

I love guitars and gear but had come to a realisation that compared to having more stuff....i would like to improving my playing and play with a bunch of skilled musicians. That way i would always enjoying playing guitar and growing musically.

Lota of people ask me all the time how many guitars i own and how much they cost.....Not bragging or trying to show off....i just tell them the truth. Just 8 guitars and yeah they are kinda expensive.

But there are lots of guys on TGP and around the world who has better gear and play better than me. It is what it is.

I just enjoy hobby and the process of learning.

9. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Not meaning to impugn the integrity of a Guitar Store Owner (or a maker of custom guitars for that matter) but when they allow they're just a cr*p player or "they don't play anymore", a lot of 'em do that to take the pressure off of their customer. Whether it is TRUE is another thing altogether. There are few things more insufferable than a salesman or would be guitarsmith who has to show you he's faster than Yngwie or something. That's just a stupid business practice, to try to put your customer down. Let him be the best guitar player in the room. It doesn't mean anything. Don't let your pride cost you an almost certain sale.

I had some jackas$ salesman at the Sam Ash in Hollywood trying to show me how incredible a player he was. I think he realized the nos G + L I was trying to buy (and just get out of there and on a plane) could be offered to someone else for more money - he was actively trying to set me off so I'd walk. I wouldn't take the bait.

nastynate, Scary Uncle G. and Rod like this.
  10. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

The magic word here is collector. Folks that collect stuff. Doesn’t matter what it is....Bobbles, cars, beer mugs, guitars.......doesn’t matter, it’s just..stuff....they got the $$, they buy stuff.... For many of us these are the tools of our trade, or passion, or both... big difference in how a guitar is looked at, played, or even understood. I was in Marks Guitar Loft a number of years ago and he had all these flawless, no scratches, new, perfect fancy flametop historic Les Pauls on the wall... I was informed that they were all used and on consignment...it made no sense to me....then the light went on..Collectors.....
    For me they are my tools of tone.. not a collection ...of stuff....:) I’m sounding a bit like George Carlin......:p I get this a lot....How many guitars do you own Rod? As many as I need to get the tones I’m after... Why do you bring 3 or 4 guitars to a gig? I have no comment...
    I do have a friend (a good guitarist) who owns over 500 Electrics.. many custom and all left handed! I asked him how many of these do you really play? ....5 or 6.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    Tommy Biggs, cratz2 and DrumBob like this.
  11. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Heck, I have more than 25 guitars and I'm really a drummer who plays guitar too. :rolleyes:

I also have eight sets of drums...and a very understanding wife!

Not that it makes me any better than anyone else, mind you. I do think that people who go around boasting of their material possessions are a bit lacking in tact or self esteem, and feel they have to make up for some personal deficiency, as the OP said.

Like having a little schwanz. :D

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  12. shoepedals

shoepedals Vendor

I have about that many guitars, myself, and I'd say the reasons why would not fit what most people would assume.

1. Most of them were assembled or modified heavily by me and are essentially different experiments with different wirings and pickups/pickup combinations.

2. They all sound different and have different uses when I am recording or testing pedal designs. That could be as simple as one is a Jazzmaster and one is a Les Paul, but in my case there's also things like: This one is microtonal. This one is fretless. This one is my client's signature guitar. This one is microphonic. This one is a baritone. This one is made of a barn rafter. This one is always in D standard. This one has the only set of these pickups in the world. This one only has one pickup. This one has that weird tone control. This one has those funky japanese pickups that are out of phase with each other and sound super weird. etc. etc. It's amazing when you want to record a part for a song how, sometimes, you can go through like a dozen different guitars before finding the one that suits that particular part the best if you know what you want it to sound like.

3. I've been playing for a couple decades, too. These things are generally accumulated very slowly in my case.

4. You're kind of right that I don't play them all all the time or equally as much. However, that doesn't mean I don't think they're all useful. Some are for special purposes that don't arise as often. Some are played almost every day. Also they kind of naturally get rotated around based on what type of music I happen to be working on or interested in at the time. I am not the type of person who has like one tone that is a signature sound. I tend to chase tone as a wide palette of interesting and good sounds rather than an ideal single perfect thing.

5. It's not too tough for me to get a guitar i haven't played in a while in proper playing condition because I can do setups myself. Usually they just need a small truss rod adjustment and strings if it's been quite a while. But they need this over time even if I do play them everyday regardless.

Rod likes this.
  13. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

Elixir coated strings. Gamechanger :)

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  14. jfb44

jfb44 Member

Sounds like a case of harboring bitterness & resentment since the incident happened "a while back".

RCCola, SgtThump and BADHAK like this.
  15. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

Wait... only 25? Well, he’s probably not a TGPer since you have to have at least 30 guitars to post here.

16. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

Yeah RIC me too, way way back, I guess we are douchbags here and should quit TGP before the OP finds out what we have stored away :)

17. riker4208

riker4208 Member

the guitars don't have the same meaning they have for him as your guitars do for you. Yours are tools, his is a collection. People collect sh#t, on that we can all agree

18. motokev

motokev Member

THIS made me THINK of all the SICKO guitar YOU TUBER's with their guitar type channel.
    It's quite amazing how many guitars they have.

Like that German guy, Henning

amazing...……….

19. Surfreak

Surfreak Member

To answer the OP’s question, if someone tells me he (or she) owns 25 guitars I am happy for them.

Too simple?

RCCola, Da Geezer and Tommy Biggs like this.
  20. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

I think you are judging the guy unfairly. If you were in his position as a manager would your world view automatically be wrong?