• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Guyatone TD-X Flip Tube Echo

nightraven

p32826h-439ba00cff38d34ec3f5f0031e28dbef.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVV2APAM-kI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4kfYK0Ltk4

these little demos make it sound incredible

anybody have experience with this?

lux_interior

Fantastic echo, definitely one of the best that I have heard, far better in my opinion than new and sexy designs such as the Skreddy. If it had a tap tempo feature along with subdivisions and trails on, it would be simply amazing. It is the only pedal that I know that can get close to the divine sound of the red SIB Echodrive (which in turn was actually far better than the blue, in spite of what most people think). Unfortunately, I've heard that it faces some reliability problems (info that can't be verified, of course, so take it with a pinch of salt).

fuzzo

looks really cool indeed. The Valve is really used or it's just a marketing tool to sell it ?

Plus , I believe the price is not so hight.

lux_interior

Whether the tube is working or not is a really long story that has been going on for ages... starved voltage designs are not as bad as purists claim them to be, and they usually deliver great results. This needs 12V at 200mA, so the tube is not working as hard as the one in the big tube class A SIB which got AC power and used its own transformer. Having heard both of them though, I would say that the one in Guyatone adds a lot to the sound and is definitely not there just for show. Here's what the official page says:

[FONT=geneva,arial,sans-serif]Unique to the TD-X are its two Simulator controls. While most digital units emulate analog tones by using a high frequency roll off, the TD-X uses a frequency filtering system combined with tube warmth and saturation for a unique, organic delay tone that is much more realistic than digital modeling.[/FONT]
[FONT=geneva,arial,sans-serif]The Analog Simulation control blends in tube saturation on the Delay Repeats against the unfiltered Delay sound. This saturation is similar to the effect of an Analog Delay unit on the original signal, where note clarity decreases with each additional repeat.[/FONT]

jonny guitar

I tried one out for about an hour and though I really wanted to love it, I just couldn't pull the trigger on it. I found the sound to be a tad sterile sounding compared to other delays I have used. Also, it wasn't as verstatile as I had hoped in both tones and functioning. The tones were not accurately described so turning the knob to analog simulation really didn't do that at all. Lastly, I could hear a very very faint ticking through the amp with pedal; tried a second one through a different amp guitar setup and heard the same thing.

I ended up going with a DLS Echo tap which to my ears is superior in every way to the Flip -- tone, build quality, service, versatility and ease of use.

It isn't the worst pedal that you could put on your board but I don't rate it up there with the big boys of delays.

nightraven

^ the repeats being sterile is something i'm worried about with it. can you compare it with the SIB Echodrive if you've tried that?
i'm on this endless quest for the ultimate delay haha

Last

I had one of these, wish I still did actually but with all the new shiny ones coming out almost daily so it seems just makes it hard to hang on to something that really was all you needed to begin with!

I agree with the sterile comments but this was easily changed by placing a JAN 5751 valve in place of the 12ax7 it comes with.

Pedal has a very nice chime to it & a great twang if wanted, even with an LP.

lux_interior

First, let me correct myself: it's not far better than the usual new and hyped designs such as the Skreddy, I just like it more - it doesn't mean that the others are not good... they are actually very good indeed.

About the clicking noise: my guess is that it could have been anything, from "dirty" power to some sort of clock noise that comes up sometimes with digital power supplies such as the One Spot etc. I have also come across it in other pedals but I don't mind it (certainly not in a band setting where it absolutely disappears).

About the red SIB: I I think it gets close but I can't be sure about it because I wasn't comparing them side by side (which I did for the blue and the red SIB, for quite some time and with a whole group of people also playing and chiming in). It would be impossible to say it nails it because the red SIB is one of my holy grails of delays/echoes, among the Echoplex, the Fulltone TTE, the Roland Space Echo and the old Deluxe Memory Mans. I don't think it belongs in that club...

(I shouldn't write all this about the red SIB - ebayers will probably start asking even more insane prices on them, unless the reissue that we have been waiting for since 2007 finally comes out...)

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
It is the only pedal that I know that can get close to the divine sound of the red SIB Echodrive (which in turn was actually far better than the blue, in spite of what most people think). ).

I too owned a Red SIB Echodrive (my ONE regretful sale) and while the Guyatone was good, I don't think it was nearly as good as the SIB. Similar, yes, but no contest. I didn't keep the Guyatone long.

You still got your SIB? I see them every now & again on the bay, starting at $375 (or higher). I'd love to pick one up, but not at that price. It seems the rumours of SIB being up & running again, with the ED to soon be re-released, have been greatly exaggerated.

lux_interior

Well, the irony is that... I don't have one! When I decided to get one back then, they were gone. I was looking for one, asking friends that had it etc. but no one wanted to sell it to me. And it seems I'm also a bit picky since I'm looking for the version with the extra slam button and the volume pedal input.

$375? It seems the info I had was completely wrong - I thought they were going for more than $700. The old notice in the www.sibfx.com page about resuming production in the summer of '07 is removed, and now it just says that some details are coming soon (two and a half years and still coming). I could never understand why they haven't done anything yet, since it will be a goldmine for them. I would like to try the DC Timeline but I absolutely hate its looks - it looks as if it came from a cheesy space movie or pc game. Anyway, I'm way off topic... What was the question again? :D No, I don't think the repeats of the Guyatone are sterile, not at all.

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
$700-$800 was for the BLUE ones. I bought my red one (used) for $275, and the last red one I saw sell on the bay was $375 I think. They don't come up often.

I can't do any of those digital-computer-looking delays either. I don't care how good they sound, I just can't do it. Give me knobs & LEDs, that's it.

aman74

Silver Supporting Member
I had one and it was DOA, returned it and got another. Same thing.

I really still want to hear one as I always heard good things.

lukejesse

Love, love, love my TD-X. Will never get rid of it. I've seen a few posts on what it does well and what it won't do, but here's my two cents on how to use it.

While it isn't actually analog, I find I like it more than a lot of other true analog delays like the Carbon Copy or Aqua Puss, etc. Because of the tube in the TD-X I can add just a touch of breakup to the repeats which most non-boutique pedals can't do. I also love the tape simulator knob that cuts out low and high end the more you turn in clockwise. Yes, my Echolution and a lot of pedals have this, but I find I really like the way it sounds on the TD-X. Very old school, for lack of a better term. The volume, repeat, and time knobs are all pretty standard. If you want to use this for some really great Pink Floyd-esque solos, you've come to the right pedal. The other thing I use this for is in combination with my Echolution (which has tap tempo). I crank the tube overdrive to add fuzz to only the repeats which then feeds into the Echolution. You still have clarity on the dry signal but the repeats have this warm, fuzzy blanket that's just beautiful. I'll put the volume on the repeats really low and the number of repeats really high. Voila! Instant post-rock bliss.

If you HAVE TO HAVE analog, you'll probably be disappointed. I think it sounds nearly identical to analog, but you probably will never be happy with it. If you HAVE TO HAVE tap tempo and/or want to sound like U2, you will be disappointed. This isn't what this pedal was made for.

How would I describe this pedal in one word? WARM. I saw a couple of posts say that the repeats sound sterile. There are three reasons that could happen: 1) the tube that was in the pedal is not to your taste. That's an easy fix. Roll some tubes. I've put several different types of 12AX7s and a 12AU7 in it. All of them giving different results. I think I have a JJ in there now. 2) You didn't play with the analog knob (which saturates the tube) enough and/or you didn't play with the tape knob. Both are very interactive, and it takes some time to find your sweet spot. 3) You had the volume of the repeats up too high. This pedal works best at adding ambience. Not to beat a dead horse, but if you are looking for ringing repeats (a la U2), you have the wrong pedal.

One last issue. I had some headroom problems when using a 12V power supply. Eventually, the power supply actually broke. Instead of getting a new one, I just daisy chained the TD-X onto my 9V. It sounded MUCH better and doesn't have any headroom issues. Not sure if that was just the power supply or what, but I've had no issues running it off a 9V, FYI.

Sun Creature

I have been trying to locate one of these pedals for such a long time, can never find it or just happen to miss it on the bay.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom