Guys at TGP who DONT set intonation with a Strobe Tuner ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BryanMatthews, Jul 31, 2008.

1. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

I mean how the heck do you do it without a strobe tuner of some sort ?

I had a TU2 in the past and regarding doing a set up for intonation with it, I couldnt get it to even approach accurate. Ive had various other tuners and same ole story, the flickering lights flashing from sharp to flat and back again ..........same result, a horridly intonated guitar.

I have 2 peterson strobe tuners and i have the strobosoft on my home pc. The strobosoft is the deluxe version which has the intonation tool, which is 1000% more useful and accurate for ultimate intonation setting than ANY tuner I could name.

Do you guys doing intonation set up with a non strobe type ever feel like chucking your guitar and tuner out the window ? I remember trying to do it with a much respected Korg DT10, and still couldnt trust what I was seeing, it was sharp, then flat etc etc and very unstable.With my strobe stuff, it is rock solid and no wavering around at all.

So what are your non strobe tuner setting of intonation methods and stories of utter frustration or elation about doing it then ?

Id use a TU2 or similar on a stage without worries, but for set ups, absolutely not, I just do not think non strobe tuners have the needed nth degree of accuracy and are way too finicky and unstable.

When I do intonation, I take dan erlewine`s advice, use open string and fretted 12 fret, i think he is right in that the 12th fret harmonic is not as accurate. ymmv

Stories and thoughts ?

Bryan

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  2. iaresee

iaresee Member

I've used my TU-12H for going on some 15 years now to do my setups. Works great. YMMV.

3. jb1911

jb1911 Member

I've intonated guitars with 5 or 6 different tuners over the years and when I was young and poor, I did it by ear. I don't see the problem.

4. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I use a Boss TU-15........ works fine for me!

5. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

gotta admit, im gassing for a stroborack now.

ive owned in the past

boss tu2
    boss tu15
    boss tu12h
    korg dt10
    seiko digital tuner
    and others i just cant recall.

one common factor was that i couldnt set intonation worth a crap with any of them. with peterson units , especially the strobosoft, it becomes childplay imo.

intonation just seems to be one of those issues that has people tearing their hair out. im glad you guys got it sorted with the tuners you own, wish i could bloody do it, woulda saved me a lot of angst

bryan

6. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Never have ... and it's always comes out just fine ...

7. m@2

m@2 Member

i intonate by ear as well. but to me, Tele's can be a little "off", it's part of thier character to me : ) I dial in my R7 a lot more carefully

8. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I use the Boss TU12H also, no problems.

9. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Guitar Tech. He's really good at it. :D

10. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

I'm not sure I understand why the open string would be more accurate than the 12th fret harmonic. in theory, it should be exactly one octave up.

11. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I've been using a TU2 for years and years with no problems. Works well enough for me. I do open string and fretted 12th.

12. Formvar

Formvar Supporting Member

I `ve been using the same TU-12H for 17 years now. That along with my ears sets the intonation on my guitars.

13. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

I use my ears along with a TU-2 and 12th fret harmonic and fretted. Then I check the 3rd,5th,7th, 9th and sometimes the 15th. This gives me a broader spectrum of how the other notes are playing against the open. An additional adjustment is oftentimes needed to find a happy medium across the fret board.

14. Memorex

Memorex Member

Although my Tonelob SE has a digital tuner built into it, I fine tune with my ears after I use the tuner because my ears know how to compensate for all the intonation variations up and down the neck, and the tuner doesn't.

15. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

"Guys at TGP who DONT set intonation with a Strobe Tuner?"

...don't play together with other pitched instruments- or else they spend a lot of time intonating their other band member's gear.

I can understand the gratification of doing it by ear, but if you've ever intonated your instrument perfectly (to you) and then palyed with somebody else who was not "in tune" with you, it is unbearable. I've walked out on local bands who weren't in tune with each other. They were probably all in tune to each of their own various tuners or perfect pitch in their heads, but it is fatiguing to me and honestly hurts my head. In my old band, I couldn't take it anymore, so I intonated all of their guitars to my strobe tuner and my life was sooooooo much more peaceful.

You know how non-musicians walk up to bands and tell them how good they sound...and really mean it? They don't do that when everybody's instrument is out. That's one MAJOR thing that separates somebody's first impression of a band band being "good" or "suck." You could have a stage full of stellar musicians all in the same headspace and if they're all out, it's a big dud.

Not intonation, but one of the times I saw Nickel Creek, Sean Watkins was having trouble with his guitar drifting. People said stuff like, "man, he really stinks" and "this really isn't the best concert I've seen of theirs" when the ONLY issue was tuning problems with ONE particular guitar.

When it sounds bad, people hear it.

16. jb1911

jb1911 Member

I never said that I got any gratification from intonating by ear, I said that I used to do it by ear when I was young and poor. Out of tune guitars drive me crazy too as I have nearly perfect pitch.

17. Jack DeVille

Jack DeVille Member

+1. :)

18. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

I worded it poorly and didn't really mean it towards anybody personally. But I apologize. I just meant that, to do it by ear, I can see why one who could would.

19. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

I would never trust my ears to intonate my axes ...
    but a decent chromatic tuner is all one needs ...

This I will admit ... I've never been able to hang with a Tele that has a three piece bridge...
    Even though it might be capable of a better Tele tone in general, I've never been able to intonate
    them well enough to my liking (or to my ears accepting)

And am really in awe of the guys who do get it right ...
    I have to stick with 6-piece bridges in almost every case...

20. LaXu

LaXu Member

I use the AP Tuner software to set intonation. It's about as accurate as the strobe tuners. I would never use anything less for intonation, the 1-3 cent accuracy on most tuners is just not good enough.