• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

guys convince me against buying an ENGL

+3kk!

I got this GAS lasted i think a good 2 years for an ENGL, i want the invader i put it on my phone as my wall paper (then i took it off), i think of it off and on.

the problem however is me, im not a metal player, i know the invader is a very versatile amp but i play clean or with slight dirt majority of the time. there is absolutely no use for an invader in my rig, i could use the money for a telecaster or a good acoustic guitar or hell a trip to USA for NAMM 2015!

convince me not to buy such a crazily beautiful amp.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
So the only reason you want it is for its looks? What kind of music do you play, what other amps do you have, and what is missing from your present sound?

+3kk!

So the only reason you want it is for its looks? What kind of music do you play, what other amps do you have, and what is missing from your present sound?
yes, due to its blue led. superficial and stupid but i cant get t out of my head

i play blues with a hint of jazz influence, i am going to buy an AC15 soon and i have a NMV JMP. the thing missing from my sound id say is a modern tone, so i was thinking instead of going out and buy pedals which i tend to dislike why not get something powerful and sounds amazing?

jpage

Engls are overpriced in the US. Resale is crap. Tone is slightly above average at best. Huge pass...

+3kk!

Engls are overpriced in the US. Resale is crap. Tone is slightly above average at best. Huge pass...
im not in USA, i live in asia all amps are over priced here. the other amps are H&K, Mesa (very expensive and risky), Marshall....peavy is the only cheap one but i dont like the 5150's tone

i think thats about it.

cardinal

What makes Mesa risky?

Some Engls definitely are good at what they do. But for that "German" high gain sound, I'd go with a Diezel hands down. At least in the US, they're about the same price. Diezel is built much better and at least I tend to prefer their tone.

JDutch

im not in USA, i live in asia all amps are over priced here. the other amps are H&K, Mesa (very expensive and risky), Marshall....peavy is the only cheap one but i dont like the 5150's tone

i think thats about it.
Of the amps you listed, I'd definitely go with a Mesa Boogie, which I don't believe is more expensive than an ENGL, at least not in the US. If, as you mentioned, you're looking for a "modern" sound, the Mark V will be able to produce those types of tones, plus a lot of other usable tones. You may also want to check out Mesa Boogie's Dual Rectifier amplifiers. Although they don't seem to be as popular now, those amps were the sound of modern rock and metal for almost a decade.

Although you didn't mention Bogner, several Bogner amplifiers would be meet your needs. I, personally, love the Shiva, but you may want to look at the Ecstasy.

Hacksaw

Time Warped
Platinum Supporting Member
It does not cut through well at all.. I seriously dislike the invaders
I sold mine because I felt the same way. Didn't like the SE as well.

I bought a VHT (Fryette as it's known now) Sig:X this amp kicked the Engl's butt. In my world.

+3kk!

What makes Mesa risky?

Some Engls definitely are good at what they do. But for that "German" high gain sound, I'd go with a Diezel hands down. At least in the US, they're about the same price. Diezel is built much better and at least I tend to prefer their tone.
110v so theres limited supply of 240v amps, the guy who sells them here has quite a bad repo often heard complaints of their techs being very stupid,

diezel is out of the picture, the closest supplier is in another country, there are no techs to service that amp at all.

Of the amps you listed, I'd definitely go with a Mesa Boogie, which I don't believe is more expensive than an ENGL, at least not in the US. If, as you mentioned, you're looking for a "modern" sound, the Mark V will be able to produce those types of tones, plus a lot of other usable tones. You may also want to check out Mesa Boogie's Dual Rectifier amplifiers. Although they don't seem to be as popular now, those amps were the sound of modern rock and metal for almost a decade.

Although you didn't mention Bogner, several Bogner amplifiers would be meet your needs. I, personally, love the Shiva, but you may want to look at the Ecstasy.
its more expensive, cause Mesa's are American so its cheaper than most amps out there (for usa). A mesa here can be around erm 4k usd, ENGL i can get as low as 3k usd, the seller from mesa here also kinda has bad rep i dont think they have sold many.

Bogner, is also out of the picture, the company that carries it has the ethical compass or a neighborhood hooker.

ledet

If you don't play metal, and mostly play clean and slightly dirty, why are you looking at Engl, Mesa, Marshall and 5150s? What's wrong with Fender and Vox? Probably wider available and better resale as well.

+3kk!

If you don't play metal, and mostly play clean and slightly dirty, why are you looking at Engl, Mesa, Marshall and 5150s? What's wrong with Fender and Vox? Probably wider available and better resale as well.
nothings wrong with them, im buying an AC15 soon and i also own one old marshall JMP (NMV ones)

its just that if i buy another clean amp or vintage sounding amp (ie: bassman 59) i would have 3 of the same things!

rodeodee

I think they're solid amps but a strange choice unless you're at least playing a real crunchy rock sound.

Gemini2

I don't know where in Asia you live..? But another vote here for a Ceriatone. Nik makes a few modded Marshall style amps that, IMO will slay the ENGL in the tone department.

+3kk!

I don't know where in Asia you live..? But another vote here for a Ceriatone. Nik makes a few modded Marshall style amps that, IMO will slay the ENGL in the tone department.
i know nik, met him personally and visited his workshop, he fixed my marshall. we are from teh same country =P

that being said i have nothing against nik, its just that he doesnt make high gain amps. so if i went with ceriatone i would have 3 amps that does the same things

Sheherezadeh

3k is a lot for something that just looks cool. I want an ENGL myself, but I'd actually be able to put it to use. What they excel at is brutal high gain, not clean or crunchy.

ScottySevins

Bogner, is also out of the picture, the company that carries it has the ethical compass or a neighborhood hooker.[/QUOTE]

hey i resent that!! my sister is #1 prostitute in all of kazakstan. her vagine hang like wizards sleeve!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom