Guys, need patch cables that are clear on top end AND have mids

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DanHorse, Jan 24, 2012.

1. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

I have the Bullet core X2 (bright and clear but lacks mids) and the lava Soar kit (warmer and has mids, but muffles top end)

Do you know of any cables that would be a good blend of both qualites?

2. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

Fulltone Gold Standard.

3. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

My first choice, but there are none in the uk and Fuller wont let US vendors sell to here......

4. stompboy

stompboy Member

I've heard Mogami cable is great all round and you can just make you're own. I'm building a new rig and that's what I'll be using.

5. AceBSpankin

AceBSpankin Prince of Ales Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

http://www.armorgoldcables.com Very reasonably priced, good sounding, long lasting cables. Still using my 3-20's every rehearsal and gig, after 3 years and "0" problems!!

6. Scabiosa

Scabiosa Member

7. nerdbot

nerdbot Member

What. I'm pretty sure the only things cables can do to shape your sound is through raising or lowering capacitance. Generally sounds like an increase or decrease in the high end but I've heard people talk about how capacitance has an effect on your resonant peak. Sounds like you need to search for a cable that gives you a capacitance inbetween the two cables you tried. You can look up the values for your cables and star from there. Hopefully someone who really knows their stuff will chime in.

Regardless, asking for a cable that gives you a very specific tonal signature is somewhat fruitless. Maybe try an Eq pedal.

8. DanHorse

DanHorse Member

Nope, not just capacitance. Cables all let through to a greater or lesser extent the original signal. They all degrade the signal and do so in different ways depending on the construction of the cable, from the wire to the dielectric covering. This is manifested as hearing certain frequency ranges more than others, hence some sound brighter than others, some more middy etc etc.The best cables let through as balanced and as unaffected signal as possible, though that might not be quite what you want! I have 5 different makes of instrument/patch cables, all make my rig sound different, so i want to attempt to balance it. Basics first. Even my girlfriend commented on the more beefy mids of the lava compared to the X2 Core cables and she doesnt give 2 hoots!