Guys Over 50! Let's Talk About Your Memory

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by iamdavea, Mar 17, 2018.

1. shane8

shane8 Member

my short term memory for minor things is pretty bad ... like did I lock the door or turn the stove off?? .... but I reckon that's coz I didn't pay attention rather than being enfeebled

so what was this thread about again?

.... oh yeah ....... drunk poasting .........

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  2. GottaPracticeMore

GottaPracticeMore Member

I (age 58) tend to 'forget' things I don't consciously remember, like locking the door to the house in the morning. Oftentimes 5 minutes later I ask myself: 'Wait, did I lock the door this morning?'

So I'm trying to actively remember routine events like locking doors, turning off lights, etc.

My 90-year old mom once asked: 'Why is it when I forget something it's because I'm getting old, but when you forget something it's because you're absent minded?'

I think 'use it or lose it' applies to memory just as much as it does to our physical abilities.

bushitsuki and sportycliff like this.
  3. sportycliff

sportycliff Member

I'm glad it's not just me...

4. calpa94

calpa94 Member

Sometimes while in the shower I have to think if I washed my hair or not.

pomfret likes this.
  5. Moxsam

Moxsam Member

My Dad has one of those daily pill compartments so he doesn't double dose himself with his medications.

I've heard that reading everyday/night helps immensely.

6. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I once started a thread about a particular topic and then a few weeks later started another one about the SAME topic and then everyone has to remind me about the original thread. :waiting

:messedup

shane8, pomfret, RedRock and 2 others like this.
  7. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I once started a thread about something and then a week or so later start another one about the same thing and totally forgot about the first or second one.... and then someone poasts a link to the earlier threads that I already forgot about :huh :bong

:cry:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    shane8, pomfret, Matt Jones and 4 others like this.
  8. pjs ire

pjs ire Member

It’s normal to “rust out” a bit as we age.

9. ant_riv

ant_riv Supporting Member

What was the question?

10. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

I’m going to keep telling myself this. But maybe I should write it down.

FiestaRed likes this.
  11. Teleplayer

Teleplayer New Mods On The Block Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Years and years ago, my uncle (since passed in 2011) said to me, "I just don't remember things like I used to...." He was in his late 40s/early 50s when he said it. I didn't think twice about it.

Fast forward to the present. I'm in my late 50s. Never did drugs, had an occasional social drink, and never had any major illnesses. I have been going for my annual physical since I turned 40, and am in excellent health - even worked out for 25+ years straight.

I was born with a near photographic memory. I can still remember things from 50+ years ago like they happened yesterday. And when I was in college, I'd study for a test by simply memorizing all the chapters and lecture notes verbatim - with total recall at test time.

But now..... HUGE difference unless I am ultra-focused. I definitely do not have the recall I had when I was 30-35 years old. This old age thing is a pain in the butt.

FiestaRed likes this.
  12. dave s

dave s Member

Yep, 58 here and short-term memory is going. But what I don't understand is how disjointed what can or cannot be remembered is getting.

Example 1: If I play and 18-hole round of golf, I can recall every shot on every hole. Have always been able to recall this information.

Example 2: I wanted to buy a new golf shirt. I googled the shirt information and located the exact product name. Pulled up another web browser and had forgotten the exact 4-word product name by the time I got to the search box. Toggled back to the other page, found the name again began typing the 4-word product name. By the time I got to the third word, I had forgotten the critical 4th word that would have narrowed the search to the exact product I was looking for.

WTF? Why is short-term memory recall so erratic? Why can I remember what club I hit on the par-3 #6 hole and exactly where the shot ended up, but can remember and retype a 4-word product description without looking at it 3 times?

Apparently, I need help! o_O:oops:

13. morlll

morlll Member

I always forget to turn the light off in the fridge.

shane8 likes this.
  14. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Yup ... forgetful Frankie here :bonk

Good Times :dude

It's all downhill from here on out. Drive fast and take chances :aok

michael razor likes this.
  15. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

You know it when you start to put the milk in the cupboard and the cereal in the fridge.

You know it when you are stading in the pantry and cannot remember why.

You know it when...

shane8 likes this.
  16. michael razor

michael razor Member

Hi.. What was this Thread about??/
    Oh Yea, Right!!

Good Luck-It will be OK!! :banana

17. Bob Longo

Bob Longo Gold Supporting Member

I tend to not remember the things I forget, so...

18. killinears

killinears Supporting Member

Commonly reported side effects of bupropion include: insomnia, nausea, pharyngitis, weight loss, constipation, dizziness, headache, and xerostomia. Other side effects include: abdominal pain, agitation, arthralgia, chest pain, migraine, skin rash, urinary frequency, anxiety, asthenia, confusion, diarrhea, hostility, hypertension, lack of concentration, myalgia, nervousness, palpitations, pruritus, tinnitus, tremor, vomiting, anorexia, diaphoresis, dysgeusia, flushing, and abnormal dreams.

19. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

To me it’s not about retaining, it’s about recalling things in the moment. Like names for example, from time to time I’ll talking about someone I’m fairly familiar with (not someone I know personally) and just not have their name come to me. I can picture them perfectly, talk about what they’ve done, for example if it’s a musician remember their songs, but the name eludes me temporarily. It’s very random too.

I’m sure there are physical causes related to aging, but I also think that I’ve just filled my head with so many names over my lifetime that the pathways are too crowded.

Funkhauser likes this.
  20. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

I keep forgetting to check in on this thread.