guys, tell about the Fryette power station and the Bad cat unleash

MRscratch

and also similar products
I have a couple amazing amps that don't get much action because they rip your head off. and i have some low watters i would love to gig.
watts the deal? ( see watt i did there?)

Jason_77

I have the Power Station and it is simply amazing. Hands down, the best gear purchase I have made in quite a while. All the hype you read on here is true.

Basically, it's a reactive load/re-amp in one box. The output of your amp is sent to the reactive load (similar response to what the signal from your amp sees when it hits the speakers), a line out is tapped off that and re-amped by a 50w 6l6-based tube amp. With the bright/deep switches and the presence/depth controls, you get THE sound of your amp at any volume. The only thing missing from the equation at low volumes is the feel of the speakers being pushed hard.

But my favorite part of the PS is the effects loop and having the ability to run reverb after the amp. Plate reverb after the amp just sounds amazing. There's just something about the way it sits that sounds natural. I've actually gotten so into using effects in the PS loop that I just ordered a Mini Vent rotary pedal. I'd imagine an eq would work really well there too.

Plus, there's other things like using it to silently record a cranked amp or using the line-in for any other preamp and having the PS act as the power amp. If you use it in a rack, you can keep a rack pre in there and have a redundant backup system should your main amp crap out at a gig.

It truly is a great piece of gear and when you consider everything it can do (or can be) for $599, it's pretty wild.

nl128

Gold Supporting Member
I picked up a PS a few months ago. It's been the best piece of gear I've bought in a long time.

being able to attenuate and have an effects loop on some older single channel amps has been awesome.

Defendant

Silver Supporting Member
I have an unleash and it's a handy tool. But I would've gone with the Power Station had it been available when I was buying.

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Silver Supporting Member
PS really is a remarkable piece of gear. Can do a lot of great stuff in a single box.

mscotts

What?!
Gold Supporting Member
Can't say enough good stuff about the Power Station....All my old NMV amps are new again.
I find it so useful and it sounds so good that I use it with all my amps.
Single most useful piece of gear I've purchased, especially for gigging.
Suhr Reactive Load is a close second for studio work with no cabinets....

MRscratch

all right!!! sounds great. thanks Guys. Is this something i can go to GC and get ?, say in Seattle?

David Garner

Platinum Supporting Member
Heard nothing but good things about the PS but I haven't tried it. I love my Unleash at everything except super quiet settings. It sounds fantastic to my ears.

McGas

I was thinking that with the Unleash, the 2 different attenuation settings would let u have a pseudo solo boost ? I guess you could do that with the PS if u put something like a mxr micro amp in the Fryette ..Is that right ? thx

thelionsden

I was thinking that with the Unleash, the 2 different attenuation settings would let u have a pseudo solo boost ? I guess you could do that with the PS if u put something like a mxr micro amp in the Fryette ..Is that right ? thx

Yes thats right...

Uli Jon Blackmore

Silver Supporting Member
I have owned many attenuators/reampers: THD 16 OHM, Powerbrake, Z Brake, Unleash, Rockcrusher, & Power Station. The last three were all usable but each improved on the previous. However, the Powerstation is in a class all of its own. It sounds perfect at any but whisper volumes, and I have no intentions of even trying anything else.
It really is that good.

redeyedjim

Here's a post I wrote for a different thread earlier this week:

I have owned both an Unleash (v1) and a PowerStation, though not at the same time.

For my needs, my v1 Unleash was not sufficiently transparent. It might have been fine for gig volumes, but as an attenuator for home use I definitely heard a loss of tone when I A/B'd it against the dry signal (at unity), and it bugged me. I also found the re-amplified signal to be more sterile than I wanted. A good unit, to be sure, but not for me, so I flipped mine and moved on.

About a month ago I picked up a PS from another TGPer. I've found it to be exceptionally transparent for both attenuation and amplification, and the tone shaping options are great. I've been primarily using it with a 1 watt JMP1H as an attenuator, and the tones I am getting from this setup at TV-volume levels are among the best I've ever gotten from any amp I've owned: classic 70's Marshall tone that's harmonically rich and appropriately saggy, with fantastic sustain, etc. It sounds equally good cranked up, though I can't really do that much at home during the late night hours in which I typically get to play. I haven't had any issues with the PS FX loop, either. For my needs the PS has been a huge success.

The above is just one guy's experience, so take it for whatever it's worth.

Dexter.Sinister

Still breathing
Platinum Supporting Member
Unleash with parametric EQ and a bit of verb in the loop sounds great! The power station sounds great by itself. Unleash is smaller, easier to schlep, and leaves my amp top clean. The switchable levels is very useful! Power station lacks a handle or case so toting is an issue if you move your gear for gigs and recording sessions as do I.

I like and use them both.

If you never move your gear and don't wish to monkey with sonic tweakery in the loop, go Fryette, otherwise it's a toss up depending on need and $$$.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom