Guys that have a Tim and Timmy..

billyg121

Silver Supporting Member
Outside of the gain pot difference, Do they sound identical ? I currently have a Tim, and while I love it..I really never use the boost side.
That said, I have had a Timmy, and I'm going only from memory ..but I'm thinking the Tim sounds fatter?? Is this just my imagination? For those that have side by sides them..would I regret picking up a Timmy and selling off my Tim?

coltonius

Señor Member
It's been awhile since I've had both, but I seem to remember the EQs being identical and the Gain pot being the only difference, in a manner of speaking.

I have both and use both differently. In my experience, I find the Timmy is best as an EQ solo boost at the end of my dirt section. I find the Tim to be better as a stand alone low-gain drive pedal at the front of my drive section, which is a bit odd when you consider the Tim's send and return section for its boost - it would lend itself to be a better solo booster as you could then run something in its loop (like a delay/reverb, etc). I find the Tim does a nice job pushing the other dirt pedals - it adds a certain something imo. It really depends on what you want to use it for. Personally in your shoes I would buy the Timmy and keep the Tim, use both in the application you have in mind, then see what you like the best.

billyg121

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah BL, I will prob snag a Timmy just to do a real time side by side comparison.

soopajeanmi

I have both. I think the sweet spot is easier to dial on the TIM and overall I prefer the slightly warmer tone of the TIM, even without using the boost. I'm happy with both really but I use the TIM whenever I have enough space on my board. My TIM is a V2 and my Timmy a V1.

billyg121

Silver Supporting Member
That's kinda what I thought also, the Tim is easier for me to dial in. Slightly warmer. The only reason I even consider this thread worthy is I've had many people tell me the two pedals , except for the gain pot and extras on the Tim , are the same. Just trying to confirm if my ears , and memory, are playing tricks on me . I really dig the Tim's form factor. I like it set up on my back row on my board..as it stands taller than the rest. Oh well..as said earlier, I should probably just call Paul up and order a Timmy for final comparison .

olejason

Are they not the same circuit outside of the boost? Maybe Paul will weigh in.

I currently have a Tim but would like to get rid of it and get a Timmy.

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
Why did Paul C discontinue the Tim? I can't remember the reason now. I hope it comes back at some point in some way. I traded mine off towrds a PWE Event Horizon. I don't regret it per se as the PWE is in the top 5 amps I have ever owned. But I would like a Tim again some day. But I'm not going to pay the crazy used prices for one now. I have a Timmy and that is good enough if need be.

geodr

I like the 500k gain pot of the Tim better than the 1M gain pot of the Timmy, so I had Paul build me a Timmy with the 500k gain pot. Put the LM1448 chip in it and I love it.

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
I think discontinuation of the tim was because most people ordered the timmy, and the box size of the tim was often harder to source, and thus delayed turn around times, for both pedals.

I think they are essentially the same pedal with the same overall voicing, but as reasons already noted, can sound "slightly" different.

I like the tim and find it a great pedal but the height of the box does make it difficult to integrate on some boards I've set up. it also hugs more board room & if you don't use the boost side, which I usually don't, it can free up room to use a timmy instead.

I like the tim and find it a bit more easier to dial in but it's more related to familiarity than actuality.

thewordking

I have two Tims. Had a Timmy for a while. Though the two Tims sound slightly different from each other (part differences and all that) they both were warmer than my Timmy. Tried switching chips thinking that might do it, but nope. One of these days I'll try to get my hands on a Timmy with the Tim gain pot.

billyg121

Silver Supporting Member
Bumping this just once , to see if any more thoughts. Bottom line, I love my Tim. That said, if the Timmy can be dialed in to get identical Tim tones, I will sell my Tim and pick up a Timmy. I just never use the boost or loop and could use the space..but not at the sacrifice of my great Tim tone.

hdahs143

Silver Supporting Member
Had a V1 Tim. Sold it for the same reasons mentioned above: never used the boost or the loop, and of course with it being discontinued, it was worth more than the $169 I paid for it.

Picked up a Timmy as part of the trade, and have subsequently traded it, but will pick up another, as they are readily available.

The Tim, to my ear, was easier to dial in, and a bit more open and natural sounding to me.

The Timmy was gainier, maybe a bit more compressed, but still the same basic pedal. Just took a little longer to find the sweetspot.

If both were still available for their original price, I would just grab another Timmy. And since I wasn't aware of the gain pot difference until now (thanks!) I will grab the appropriate pot from Mouser, install it, and see if that is the source of the difference I hear.

JVIOLIN

Silver Supporting Member
I liked the 1M pot better in the Timmy than the 500k pot in the Tim, sold the Tim and Timmy. I later ordered a Timmy again with the lm1458 chip and now it is one of my favorites.

billyg121

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe that's it..maybe the Tim is just easier to dial in. Maybe the EQ section of the two pedals are different also?

meterman

I use both on different boards. I can dial them in basically the same but I do like the extra versatility of the TIM and find myself using the boost mode more now than I used to because it really rips! On the cleaner side, the gain pot it is a bit trickier to dial in the sweet spot than the TIM since there is more drive available on the Timmy than on the TIM without the boost on, but I think they sound very much alike obviously.

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
I found it difficult to get the Timmy to sound the same as TIM. The Gain pot difference is not trivial at all. Felt to me like all the subtle changes I could get from 9:30 to 12:00 on the TIM gain were compressed into 10:00 to 11:00 on the Timmy. Too narrow a band. It was never quite where I wanted it.
MD

billyg121

Silver Supporting Member
I'm kinda novice when it comes to pedal circuits ..so thanks for helping me figure it out guys. It seems the circuit design can be the same but with the pot values different , it can be noticeable . Anyway..dang, maybe I'm leaning toward just keeping the Tim.

meterman

I'm kinda novice when it comes to pedal circuits ..so thanks for helping me figure it out guys. It seems the circuit design can be the same but with the pot values different , it can be noticeable . Anyway..dang, maybe I'm leaning toward just keeping the Tim.
just re-read your OP, I'd try the Timmy but definitely don't sell the Tim!

Trending Topics