Guys that own both the Zendrive and Mosferatu

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lv, Sep 6, 2005.

1. lv

lv Supporting Member

How well do they work together? Can you get high gain tones with both on without lots of hiss?

Thanks

2. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Hey Lou! I have both and love them both. I never noticed hiss before but I'll have a listen tomorrrow when I fire it all back up. I do NOT run one into the other. They sound best on their own. Ie, one or the other at a time.

jon

3. lv

lv Supporting Member

Hey Jon, thank you! I really liked the tone of the Zendrive but found it didn't have quite enough gain for me - was wondering if using the Mos set at low gain could boost the Zen into doing some higher gain stuff while keeping the lovely Zendrive tone intact!

4. erksin

erksin Member

You might have a better chance achieving that by getting the 4-knob Mos with the Voice control. Sounds like a 'best-of-both-worlds' option to me...

5. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I have both (both are 4 knob versions) but I'm still playing around with them to find the best configuration for me. They work very well together.

Last time I played I used the Zen with the gain maxed for my rock rhythm and the Mos after it for my solo tone with the gain around 10:00 to 11:00 and there was no hiss.

This Sunday I'm going to use them separately: the Mos for my rock rhythm and the Zen with the drive at around 1:00 or so for a lower gain rhythm tone and my GE-7 for solo boost.

6. LittleC

LittleC Member

I thought it was on this board that I read it, but perhaps not. Anyway, Alf is working on a new box combining the two. Supposedly, you can turn on/off either, both, and swap which on is in front of the other. Anyone else know of this?

7. rhys

rhys Supporting Member

i got a mos about a month ago from alf. i asked him about a 2-in-1 zen mos pedal and at that time he wasn't offering it--i think he had his hands full enough with the individual pedals. but i certainly don't presume to speak for him--best bet would be to ask if he can do it now. alf is very good about responding to email.

8. lv

lv Supporting Member

I actually put an order in for both pedals, not really interested in a 2 in 1, but thanks for all the replies so far.

9. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

I've owned both the Mos and the Zendrive. I ended up selling the 3 knob Mos because it was so close to the 3rd channel on my Demeter TGP-3. I run the Zendrive into the clean channel of the Demeter. That's the beauty of Alf's pedals, it's that they are so amp-like it doesn't feel like you're going through a pedal at all.
    The Mosferatu has more gain on tap than I ever needed. The Mos is a great lead pedal all by itself, I never felt the need to pair it up with the Zendrive or any other pedal. Both are dead quiet as well.
    FWIW,
    Rick

10. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I was going to get the 2 in 1 pedal, using the Zen and Mos boards but after having both separate, I decided to keep them separate. Partly because I haven't found that running them together works for me and partly because I wanted the option of using them in different parts of my pedal board. I have the Mos in front of my Clyde wah and the Zen after. Sometimes I prefer a wah sound that's after a lead pedal, rather than before.

jon

11. Deaj

Deaj Member

I used to have both a Mosferatu and a Zendrive on my board and used them together often. I used my Mos as a very low gain OD before the Zendrive (also set for low gain) and I'd use the Mos to push the Zendrive for medium gain tones. The Zendrive and Mosferatu work very well together! I also used the Mos as a boost for a CJOD. This combination worked great as well. I no longer use the Mos or Zendrive because I recently purchased a Fuchs and it covers the same territory. I sold the Mos and my brother has the Zendrive (the Zendrive's gotta stay close - it's a fantastic pedal!). I still use the CJOD because it covers more aggressive tones than I have the Fuchs set up for.

12. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

I had both, and got a 4 knob Mos to cover all the territory I was using.......

The zen is a really good lead booster, with the gain down its like a lightly dirty booster, with a dialable mid, great into the Mos for a lead booost..

13. lv

lv Supporting Member

thanks so much guys!