Guys, we're all dumb mother****ers.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Zipperneck, Sep 16, 2012.

1. slugworth

slugworth Supporting Member

I came across this gem awhile back:

http://www.petelacis.com/2010/07/08/...h-audio-clips/

This guy's got a couple of Suhr strats, one ash and one alder, and a couple of maple necks, one with a rosewood fretboard. This page has sound clips he made for all four neck/body configurations, both clean and dirty, for all 5 standard pickup configurations.

The differences in tone between the different necks on the same guitar are subtle to be sure. More easily distinguishable with a clean amp. In a full mix or live situation I doubt anybody would be able to tell by tone alone, and of course a good rig can compensate for any of these differences.

2. memiller

memiller Member

I love all the "this guy can't play" comments, like any of you guys are SRV incarnate.

3. PixMix

PixMix Member

That doesn't prove much. The two guitars compared on your link could have been of the same wood (e.g. both alder) and same neck/fb combo (e.g. maple/rosewood), and they'd still sound different.

Could you quantify in percentage (or otherwise) the difference between rosewood and maple fretboards? Say, maple fretboards are 29,7% brighter than rosewood ones...

4. shakeshakeshake

shakeshakeshake Member

memiller= da guitar gawd scott grove???

5. thornie

thornie Supporting Member

This guy reminds me of the dude that works in the expensive guitar room at Manny's/Sam Ash on 48th st. In fact, if you told me it was the same guy, I would believe you.

6. VA_siCkBoy

VA_siCkBoy Silver Supporting Member

I love his "I don't know it all but I know more than most of you"

7. VA_siCkBoy

VA_siCkBoy Silver Supporting Member

I wonder why he has the comment section disabled in all of his videos?

8. Earplayer

Earplayer Member

memiller please stop talking crap - he is just a so-so player that acts like he is a mix of malmsteen and van halen.... give me a break - that guy probably had way too much coke in his life... lol ....... :messedup

9. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

I do.

[​IMG]

10. VanWhelan

VanWhelan Member

I think that these videos are his attempts at being funny, although the foul language & insults tend to get in the way of what he's trying to do.

But two thoughts...

1. If he really truly believes that fretboard wood makes no difference whatsoever, then why does he have two identical Strats - one with maple fretboard & one with rosewood? And why a roomfull of various guitars? Wouldn't he just need one really good one?

2. Only having watched two of his videos, I don't know what kind of amp he's playing through. Wouldn't it be funny if he was playing all those guitars through something like a Line 6 Spider Valve?

11. memiller

memiller Member

Aesthetics and feel. Kind of obvious.

Pathetic.

12. memiller

memiller Member

Like the majority of players here are mediocre players that act like they're a mix of Clapton and SRV with Eric Johnson's ears, right?

Anyone can talk ****, but nobody can stand when they're talked **** about. Except me. I'm pretty good at it at this point.

13. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

T-Town. Home of street construction hell!
    His high level vocabulary wore me out. I'm not used to absorbing that much quality dumb MF information in such a short period of time.

14. Osharan

Osharan Member

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=kbphwNafa1U

Ive watched some of his other vids and he seems like a really good country guitarist. Beyond competent. This vid might explain his behavior.Btw, he plays through a johnson millenium.

15. Geek USA

Geek USA Member

There's nothing wrong with his playing, and that really has nothing to do with the opinions in his video anyway.

16. Osharan

Osharan Member

I agree with his opinions. Most of them, but I think it explains his delivery. Most people seem to have an issue with that. He seems like an intelligent guy. The delivery just blows.

17. Earplayer

Earplayer Member

he looks and acts just like a frustrated looser and he isn´t funny at all........ that stupid mofo has absolutely no taste in tone - his videos suck his playing sucks - honestly i am no hater by any means but he really makes me want to punch him in his face. the guy is so over-confident and full of himself it´s unbelievable.
    he preferes solid state amps and "knows" that different fingerboard woods makes no different at all, etc. etc. .... and yeah of course all the big bad companies are spreading lies - thank god that there is this pathetic crappy guitarplayer out there spreading the truth. the only truth. of course there are some points that are true - but this clown act on the internet is just a waste of time and data volume.

18. tapehead

tapehead Member

Just about every observation that I, too made has been covered:
    +
    :huh

Then I think back to the "...brain damage..." mention and wonder how

in which case I add 2+2 and set the odds that he is disabled and your taxes fund his hobby and...rage. Weird dichotomy if it's the case. And also

Final thought: I wonder how, if at all substantial the tonal difference is in fretboard materials on fretless instruments. I suspect Professor Dumblebore there would not engage in a serious discussion with any experienced luthier.

19. zos

zos Member

When I clean my les Paul fretboard next time im gonna hock a loogie on it and just rub it in to see if it works .

I did stuff a sock in my dogs mouth but I couldn't make him sound like my les Paul ?
    At least I know where you plug em in now , there's a jack socket under the tail !

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  20. hollowhero

hollowhero Member

+1 LOL