Guys, we're all dumb mother****ers.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Zipperneck, Sep 16, 2012.

1. TobyManhattan

TobyManhattan Member

Took the time to get identical guitars, didn't tune them.

2. vanguard

vanguard Member

the image of an aging, fat, brain-dead, mullet'd pile of fleshy waste mentioning the viewers' moms and sisters and then sticking his tongue through his "V" shaped fingers will incite rage and nausea in my subconscious for years to come. thanks for that.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  3. Greg.D

Greg.D Member

Scott Grove (who made the video) is a great, great guy. Showing that video on this forum is like pouring water into concentrated sulfuric acid. Amazing how many of the comments refer to his being "a redneck", "ugly", or "sucks as a guitar player" (and has ugly guitars!). If you wanted to do a parody of The Gear Page you couldn't do better than simply copying and pasting this thread. He earns his living through music and he puts it out there, unlike so many internet posers. Thank God for Scott!

Greg

4. Earplayer

Earplayer Member

last post - like i said waste of time - i am out here...... but let me just say this...

what are you talkin man?! guys over here that don´t "earn a living" from music are posers...? wtf.
    tgp is a platform for musicians some are pros some are not and after reading all the funny, stupid, unnecessary, informative, motivating,.... posts i have to say i am glad to read and write on this forum and i really never felt or thought that there are that kind of stupid guys posting in this good forum like this pos.
    he acts like a guitar god - with crappy tone and chops that are absolutely no where near to a good pro level. i don´t even want to know with what kind of music he earns his living - lol - and you are probably his keyboard player......

+1

5. vanguard

vanguard Member

seriously. thank god for this guy:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  6. airportbar

airportbar Member

7. Earplayer

Earplayer Member

damn. another post......

i swapped fingerboards on strats and les pauls if you don´t hear a difference between these woods like maple, rosewood and ebony you are tone-deaf my friend. thats it. in the beginning it was all about optics thats right but soon after that people used different things for different tones/sounds with/for a reason.

when it comes to frets it´s different - i really believe that the only major difference you hear is the difference in the crown and shaping/size not too much the fretwire material.

regarding laquer a lot of things are overrated and misinterpreted too. if a guitar sounds good it sounds good no matter what. but believe me i ´ve played vintage strats before and after a paint-job. yes there are some stupids out there that refinish a vintage strat with a poly finish. out of 3 re-finished strats all 3 sounded worse than before. same parameters like fresh strings, same gauge, etc. exactly same setup - after the paint job the guitars sounded more dull and limited in the frequency range. the stupid guys had to sell the guitars because they were so shocked after that and the guys also said before - it doesn´t matter there is no difference you will see.....lol.

regarding pickups - a dear friend of mine is a good pickup winder - we have been doing exact clones of my vintage single coil and humbucker pickups - really painstaiking and expensive - the result was not bad but there was still that big difference you can´t measure.

i don´t even want to start with some certain good examples of vintage marshall amps and the 1:1 clones that still sound very good but in the end no where near as the vintage one........

i am my own man and i don´t want to sell anyone snakeoil nor do i want to convince people that are not my opinion - but my experiences are very different and i know what works for me. just sayin...

8. Zipperneck

Zipperneck Member

Wow, you guys are still talking about this? All I wanted to do was make fun of his accent, his sweatpants, and his custom guitars. My bad.

9. alberob

alberob Member

LOL at this whole thread.You need a sense of humour to survive.If you are absolutely sure in your beliefs how can anyone who agrees or disagrees upset you,unless you have doubts.Just my .02cents on the subject. Always question Authority[old Hippie proverb]

10. Faded

Faded Supporting Member

Hilarious

11. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Do things make as big of a difference as some people believe, no? But to believe just in the physical mechanism of strings interrupting a magnetic field as not allowing other aspects to be amplified, is shortsighted... If it's how you emphatically state, you couldn't hear the difference between a solid body and a semi-hollow or hollowbody guitar. There *is* a difference, so other things besides the strings vibration creating "flux in the magnetic field" make it to the amplifier. Seems by your logic, that all guitars should sound exactly the same - since they're just strings and pickups.

The microphonic nature of, even if it's how you state strings vibrating, pickups reveal the acoustic chassis which is the sum total of the types of wood, particular pieces of wood, shape, thickness, level of resonance, frequencies of resonance, etc.

12. Geek USA

Geek USA Member

:beer

13. tapehead

tapehead Member

Drop the condescension, folks. This video fails if:

-it is an attempt at innocuous humor.
    -it is an attempt at a scientific experiment.

----------

Fretboard material and construction makes a difference if the following 2 statements are true:

All matter constantly vibrates; affecting and being affected by vibration in the immediate environment around it.

2 acoustic spaces do not sound exactly alike, because the same matter cannot occupy 2 spaces at once.

---------

An electric guitar is an amplified acoustic instrument. The pickups are the microphones, and type makes a difference.

The difference would be a bit more obvious had the video guy tuned and plugged in his guitars, maybe used a real mic...

It succeeds in delivering the funny via absurdity and haircut.

14. Braunzo

Braunzo Member

If wood doesn't matter across the board (no pun intended), why do different guitars with the same pickups sound completely different? The string is at a pivot point on both ends of every guitar, yet they all sound different.

15. memiller

memiller Member

People go too far with what matters and what doesn't. "Wood doesn't matter!" Well it does, for a very simple reason.

Yes, the pickups sense vibrations. What frequencies they pick up are based on what is not absorbed by the body's wood. This is why damp wood sounds universally like ass. It absorbs basically the entire spectrum of sounds, dulling what you hear. This is how palm muting changes the sound of a guitar. It dampens the vibrations from the strings. This is, obviously, an extreme example but those are useful at times.

That said, the fingerboard is a low enough percentage of the overall mass (roughly 7.5 ounces for an average maple board, with the full guitar weighing 112 ounces or so). That's how much, six or seven percent of the total mass of the guitar? Compare that with the body that is going to be more than half the total weight.

So yes, the fingerboard definitely has SOMETHING to do with the sound of a guitar but you'd have to be pretty damn eagle eared (and playing by yourself with no other instruments) to actually notice. And even then a pickup swap will put you back to zero.

16. bismark

bismark Member

17. Jorgen

Jorgen Member

First of all.
    This post is writen in a bad time, late at night. I havent slept well for days and my fiancee is out off town. I'm in no way trying to be offensive or attacking this person. I attack a problem on the internet, in general. And, sorry for my language, it's bad.

This person:
    1.1 - He is an bad guitar player.
    1.2 - He probably think his chops are outstandning.
    1.3 - He seems like a total duché.

In general:
    2.1 - This guy tries to establish etos by showing off his many guitars. He also claims he has heard whats to hear. No quiestiones asked.
    2.2 - To use another retorical term, he is trying to establish logos, this totaly failes the first time he is using the word "motherfu****".
    2.3 - He is NOT famous by any means. I've never seen him before. But he probably thinks he is the Justin Biber of the guitarworld.

To summon - this guy seems like a regular, or below, guy. He is probably raised in a normal home, and received his first guitar in a young age. I suppose he quicky got a dream (like most of us) to become rich and famous. This (obviously) failed. He probably ended up in a regular job, ore worse as a receiver of social support (nothing wrong with that).
    Early 2000's he discovers the internet, forums and youtube. He is now starting to se that people actually pays attention in these places, if you have enough guitars. Ore the right types of guitars. He want to be a part of that. The dissapointment from earlier age still hurts. Now HE can affect, even dictate people.
    This is the problem. If you have enough post on TGP or any other forum, the right gear and some temperament, you'll build a false authority. We had this sort of guy on another forum i read as well. He can name every Gibson guitar that exists, he own lots and lots of them and he sits, well protected behind his screen. Trying to tell people they suck, because they have another oppinion.

These guys can absolutely figure as an resource for miscellanious forums, but personally I've become more and more fed up about those sucky players, who never have stepped out of their home. Who post, protected behind the screen on these forums, ore show of their huge rigs. The reason they exist is because idiots like us makes them feel special.

By all means, buy guitars, talk about them. But guys like this person, who claims they know the secrets to a greater life... I don't like them.

18. memiller

memiller Member

So you're fine with what he says, just not the fact that he uses words you don't like. Brilliance again.

19. trickness

trickness Analog with a side of DSP

Wasn't this guy one of the pawn shop owners that had The Gimp down in the basement in Pulp Fiction?

20. MattNgai

MattNgai Member

I have a rosewood neck on my PRS 2010 Experience CU24 :)