Guys who buy pedals online.....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by annostyle, Apr 15, 2016.

1. annostyle

annostyle Member

.... ease up on your ridiculous shipping demands. Meaning, don't get your panties in a bunch when it's not shipped out the exact second you pay for it. I understand GAS can be a b*tch sometimes and make you act irrationally, but were not Sweetwater.

2. annostyle

annostyle Member

Me: "Hey thanks for the purchase! I'll get it shipped out within a couple days and update the tracking ASAP. Thanks!"

Buyer: (A couple hours later) "Hey man, you ship that pedal yet?"

Lothar34, Frankee, Dr.Lee and 2 others like this.
  3. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

4. WillLane

WillLane Member

Are we talking just buying from other consumers from sites like Reverb or Ebay? Yeah, a day or two is okay. But it is uncomfortable for the buyer, having paid for an item and still not see any result of the purchase.

Now from major online stores like SW, MF, GC, etc. if I buy during reasonable business hours, I should at least see a "Processed" notification by the end of the day.

John 14:6 likes this.
  5. plextasy

plextasy Member

The longest it's ever taken me to get something shipped out was two days. If you're trading/selling online, I feel that one ****-up is all it takes to tarnish your reputation. There's a lot riding on it so I do it right. Last year I had someone take over two weeks to get something shipped and there was a big lack of communication during those two weeks. Made me think I was screwed out of my pedal for awhile there. Everything worked out but I just don't see any reason to not be able to drop something off to be shipped within a day or two tops, unless there's some emergency or you worked out some special arrangement or agreed to hold, etc. If you list something you should be prepared to take care of business.

I agree though, it shouldn't be expected that the seller will ship within an hour of making the deal.

pgoon, Elantric, Laganlad and 3 others like this.
  6. Jeric

Jeric Member

At least now I know to never buy from you. :)

dwoverdrive, jnam, Jven and 25 others like this.
  7. InAbsentia

InAbsentia Member

Personally, anything I sell I try to have it shipped within 24hrs, lunch break, after work, not too hard to drop by the PO for 5-10 minutes, but the longest I'll wait is two days. As a buyer, if I don't hear anything for two business days, I'll send an email just asking if everything's alright. I feel like two days is a safe amount for both sides.

8. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

I think this is the crux of it for me. I try to keep my irrational desire for instant gratification in check (I know something won't be in my mailbox the afternoon after I order it, no matter how hard I wish for that to happen) but I have also had more than one purchase where a tracking number was never provided and the pedal just kinda showed up eventually on its own time.

I want to see a tracking number or a shipping estimate or something pretty quickly - then, hey, if that estimate says next week or two weeks from now I can tell myself to chill out and that's on me at that point.

InAbsentia likes this.
  9. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Barring some unusual circumstsnce, I always ship within 24 hrs. I think communication is key though. I pm or email a buyer letting them know when an item will ship, or to send a tracking number. A quick note is not much to expect if you just sent Paypal to someone for $100-200 IMO. If you are taking money, you should communicate.

10. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

I always try to ship out within 24 hours of a sale.

Also, I'd definitely agree that communication is the most important part of a smooth transaction. Once I receive payment for something, I'll send my buyers a message to (1) confirm that I received it, and (2) let them know when I plan to ship their item and that I'll update them with tracking info once I've done so. It's an easy way to keep them in the loop, inspire confidence, and pre-empt nagging by laying out exactly what you're going to do and when they should expect to receive the next update.

Pixies2005, tapeup, Zelig and 2 others like this.
  11. Trevorsnackson

Trevorsnackson Member

I think its usually because when a buyer orders something used, they are just on edge that they could possibly be scammed as opposed to ordering from a reputable company...

12. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

The main problem I've had lately is the cost of pedals from the US via the 'Global Shipping Program'
    Frustrating when you see guys selling tiny Guyatone pedals free ship in the US but $49AU shipping to Oz

The Global Shipping seems like it's good value on larger items but ridiculously expensive for small things
    For pedals, even if the seller has put an accurate shipping weight in, I'm paying a premium of at least $14 because the seller doesn't want to fill in a form
    I know a lot of US sellers don't care much for selling OS, but my advice for selling more is to only use Global Shipping for the big stuff

I get pedals sent regular postage quite often so I know what the actual cost should be

13. ellsworthman

ellsworthman Member

On the other side of the coin is the clown who made an accepted offer to me on Reverb last Friday, didn't pay, and then asked me yesterday why I canceled the transaction.

14. teleclem

teleclem Member

Yeah, 2 says is the maximum time for me before I start getting nervous, especially if I don't hear anything from the store/seller. Unless it's something that was stated upfront before payment, I find it almost unacceptable since just about everyone else does it.

For actual stores, there are lots of them offering same day or next day shipping. There's no sense going to a store that would take longer.

Katzenkönig and InAbsentia like this.
  15. CrustyHarp

CrustyHarp Hot tube stink rules. Silver Supporting Member

Doesn't take long (or cost much) to keep someone apprised of what's going on with the gear they've just sent you money for. I've never had anyone complain that I sent them too many updates on shipping, etc. and I'm tickled that my Reverb ratings reflect that. And I'm an old flip phone fart who has to pirate a wi-fi signal to use my laptop from the road.

Seriously: it's all about trust and communication. Don't make someone have to reach out to find out what's going on.

16. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

I always ship next day, sometimes same day if I can. When buying, I'm not going to contact the seller until there's been no shipping confirmation for at least 4 days. I'm easy to deal with, and I've had very few issues over the years.

Blanket Jackson, scolfax and Hoth like this.
  17. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

I sold some vinyl on fb, one of the buyers made me wait 10 days for a Paypal payment with excuses
    Then the day after he paid he's hassling me 'have you posted them yet?'
    Personally I'm never in a rush to receive stuff, I prefer people to just do it in reasonable time and pack it properly

18. Kylote

Kylote Member

I always ship within 24 hours and I generally expect an item I purchased to ship within 48 hours.

chirills and bloomz like this.
  19. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

Depends on your circumstances, if you're busy and selling a lot of stuff sometimes it's a physical impossibility to get stuff out quick
    I usually stipulate in listings Tuesdays and Fridays after payment recieved

20. rufedges

rufedges Member

I'll say, just about all of the companies I've ordered from lately (and not all big distributors like MF or Sweetwater) are on point with fast shipping. Even Ebay folks, myself included. I'm not a business, but I will ship next business day, and have even shipped a couple things same day. Everyone doesn't always have that kind of time, and focus and priorities sometimes have to be elsewhere first. However, I would say in this day and age, shipping within 48 hours of purchase is a must for a reputable company.

bloomz likes this.