Guys who use two 1x12 cabs instead of a 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lv, Jan 20, 2008.

1. lv

lv Supporting Member

What made you go with two 1x12 cabs instead of a 2x12? Was is for some stereo-like ambience? Are you using two of the same cab/speakers, or different cabs speakers?

Seems you could run one open back and one closed back to get some unique tones.

Thanks

2. bosstone

bosstone Member

Spreading two cabs apart makes a very big difference in being able to spread, mostly the higher frequencies MUCH wider. You also get most of the stereo effect which is mainly that you get the illusion of there being one large, continuous speaker that spans the distance between the two cabs. When you do this, you get a much fuller sound and consequently find that you need to have as much effects mix or play as loudly. Also everyone in the band can hear you more clearly. Two detuned, single 10" cabs sound amazing, 2 single 12" cabs are even better but they are huge. Having two cabs is also a lot more versatile because sometimes you only need one. Two smaller cabs can also be a lot easier to handle than one large one.

3. Free

Free Member

My favorite really rich toned set-up is a 1x12 COMBO run parallel with a 2x12 cab, so you've got three 12" speakers going - one from a combo and two from an ext cab. It's the best of both worlds - you get great airyness and dispersion, with a solid as hell bottom end too.

4. jspax7

jspax7 Member

I have 2 - 1x12 combos. I like the grab and go portability. I use a 1x12 extension if I need to move more air.

I recently tried a Brown Note closed back ported 1x12, (G12-65) similar to Hermida. I preferred it as an extension, for the added low end response. By itself there was much more bass, and it was focused.

I haven't tried mixing 2 different speakers, but will be doing so this week.

5. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

When I have used my 2 112 cabs at practice I would have my head sit on one and then put the other one as monitor. That seemed to help balance out my sound so I wasn't killing the rest of the band but could still hear myself. For practice our PA just does Vocals.....

6. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

Two unique guys with chops & tone...
    Saw Alan Holdsworth a few times when he used two Yamaha DG80 1-12's: he had his usual nifty sound. Also saw Steve Vai some years back at 'The Arrogant Brawl Room' (the Aragon for the G3 tour with Satch & EJ) here in town. He had two Bogner stacks on each side of the stage + 2 1-12" Bogner cabs on each side of his drummer. He also got his sweet spots & special sound as well. Must be something about those litle 1-12's.

7. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

The 1x12 combo I'm using sounds big already, so no need to haul around a 2x12. :) I have used a 1x12 ext cab with the combo for bigger/louder gigs, and it sounds great. Nice to be able disperse the sound with the two 1x12s, too.

8. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

For awhile I was using a Mesa Triaxis rack stereo setup and gravitated towards using two mesa thiele ported 1x12's... the speakers were so good I got enough bass to be satisfied, the load in was much simplified compared to a 2x12 or 4x12, and yes I could split the speakers wide apart and get incredible stereo spread.....

I used to use a similar effect in my long hair younger days...playing jcm 800's, I had a 4x12 on each side of the stage..that sounded good too, but was not using stereo effects back then.

1x12's are nice and light and management, and the sonci compromise was minimal. That's the main point.

9. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

angle my 2 1-12 cabs away from each other slightly for better spread.

10. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Sort of like a Swiss Army knife. I can bring just the head if speakers are provided. I use a 1X12 for smaller gigs and use both for bigger gigs. I also like stacking them on top of each other so the controls on the head are at waist height and I don't have to bend over to see/change them.

11. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

As soon as I get the Egnater Rebel stack, I'll chime in. For now, I'm loving 2x12 and 4x12 cabs. The more, the merrier.

Cruciform likes this.
  12. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

I've got a Dr Z head with a 2x12 cab, and a 1x12 Dr Z combo... I've been using my 1x12 combo *cab* more than my 2x12 cab. I like my head as much as the combo amp, so I set it on top of my combo and use the 1x12..... Plus I've got a backup right there.

The over-all outcome is the same through the PA, it's just the stage sound isn't as "huge", but to be honest it's pretty dang close and I don't notice much difference. My Dr Z head has enough low end that it pushes a 1x12 just fine with plenty of low end.

13. 2leod

2leod Re-Member Gold Supporting Member

38 clicks from the town with a woman's name
    I like micing a 112 on stage, no off axis stuff coming from the other speakers. As an extension cab it's great 'cause I can set up my amp where I hear it best and the cab is for the soundguy or so the drummer can hear it better.

If you wouldn't mind terribly letting me shine my own marble for a bit - the little cab poking it's shoulder into the picture of the Yellow Cab article in March's Vintage Guitar is my 112, as well as the detuned 210 that Andrei's standing behind.
    :)

14. bosstone

bosstone Member

Stacking sounds better to the guitar player but separating them is better for the rest of the band and the audience. Which is most important to the guitar player will dictate which way to go. I like the detuned single speaker cabs because the speaker of each cab is up high and can be heard just as well as a vertical, 2 speaker cab or a 4 speaker cab but you are buying half of the speakers and everyone gets to hear what is going on better.

15. nuthinew

nuthinew Member

I've used 1x12's for years mainly because I run different speakers in them and can mix and match for whatever mood I want to play in. They are all closed back but recently I picked up a 2x12 semi open back and it has added alot to my sound that I didn't know I was missing. I love the tight focus of a closed back cab but you get some added bass response and airiness from the open back that fills in the whole picture nicely. So now i either have a pyramid going on or an oversized 4x12 in a 'much easier to transport in the car' configuration. I should have taken the backs off one of my cabs along time ago. Stereo is nicely done as well, plus I run different sets of tubes in either side of my power amp so I can get different tones to compliment the speakers that way as well. I originally wanted the singles to be easily transported but found that they where a great replacement for my 4x12's and loud enough for any gig I've played. Last gig I played I had to turn down because I couldn't hear the other guitar player who was running a Marshall half stack. So all in all I've found the 1x12's to be a great way to go for cabs. They give you alot of versatility.