Guytron Content: Read This Ebay Ad...Truth or Hype?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Axemeister, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

2. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

You gotta link to the Ebay ad?

Dana O.

3. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

4. coxswain

coxswain Member

Yes, I agree.....something about this ad seems a little strange. I would ask the seller a ton of questions.

If it is the real deal, I've only heard great things about these amps.

Chase

5. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I am not doubting that the amp is a real Guytron, but all of the tech talk about mods and response time, etc. seems over the top.... But, I do not know enough to understand this stuff.

6. Softpaw

Softpaw Member

I don't see anything really amiss. The only mod the seller notes is a very small one -- changing out the stock silicon diodes.

One question notes that the FV controls take the place of an efx loop. AFAIK, that is correct. The regular GT100's have two loops with different impedances (+3, -10db) to handle different types of effects simultaneously, while the FV's only have one loop.

The seller does have a 100% positive feedback record with 753 transactions. Not bad!

7. freaksho

freaksho Member

it ain't stock so unless you know who did the mods, movin right along . . .

this is a nice amp, though. i tried one out a while back and was impressed (and a little overwhelmed) by the number of great tones you can get from it. but whether it blows away all the competition like he says is a rather subjective judgement of course.

8. beej

beej Supporting Member

Watching this auction as well ... very odd about the diodes though. Worst case you could put it back to stock. There are a few repair guys that can handle these, including Guy Hedrick (not with Guytron anymore) who does a ton of amp work.

9. wolfpack

wolfpack Supporting Member

Ugh, another 'BLOWS everything else away" description :messedup

Yes, I've owned one

10. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

The amp is cool (I've owned one).

The hype seems like... hype.

The dog looks friendly.

11. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Ay whish thees gy's wud lern to spel.. :messedup

It adds alot more credence to their wild claims and tech talk. I wonder if he's a member?

12. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

FRED's are a real deal and supposedly make a difference. Why this amp needs it I have no I idea. I owned one for almost 3 years and the only reason I sold it is I got tired of lugging it around. I used for all my live shows however and it never failed, in fact the amp never caused me any problems over the time I owned it. The only thing I ever had to do was change the EL-84's about every 4 to 6 months and I sprayed the shafts of the tone and volume controls because they got a little scratchy.

These amps are incredibly well made and the power tubes are run very conservatively which is nice as you probably can get by with power tube changes every 3 or 4 years; I never had to change mine. The amp has a lot of versatility but it's not stupid like a Mesa. You can dial up great sounds very easily without worrying about if the control was pushed in, or the mini toggle was up or down.

I know I guy who uses these for Prog rock and has used this amp since they first came out. I won't mention names but he has access on a regular basis to all the best amps in Chicago. I have nothing but praise for this fine company, too bad more people aren't hip to it.

13. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I have actually always admired these Guytrons...I was just intrigued that the seller touted mods so that they could be "faster" in response etc.

14. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

Other than the seller sounding like a complete freak of nature, I'd probably not buy the amp because the SELLER SOUNDS LIKE A COMPLETE FREAK OF NATURE.

He might have great feedback but could know d**k about amps. Pass, homie.

15. Ray Gianelli

Ray Gianelli Member

Fast recovery diodes simply aren't necessary at the 60 hz frequency your amps power supply runs at. Any switching transients will be filtered out by the power supplies filter caps. Fast recovery diodes are used in higher frequency applications such as television power supplies, where some voltages are derived from the flyback transformer at around 15 khz.

Will they make a sonic difference in your amp. Although I rather doubt it, I've never tried it. So YMMV.

16. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I wish my diodes recovered faster.

17. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I build amps with FREDs, but I can't attest to a difference in tone. I haven't been able to do a side-by-side comparison, but I have done before and after comparisons. All these dog ears can report is there might be a very subtle difference with FREDs, but it is impossible for me to quantify. I can't even be sure my ears weren't playing tricks on me.

Even so, I use FREDs in everything I build with a SS rectifier, but only because I bought a tape of 1,000 of them.

18. quinnamps

quinnamps Member

You can scope switching diode noise when the turn off. It can and does make it into the audio path. Alternatively one could add some caps across the diodes to snub that but in the end it is cheaper and easier to just use Freds. Haven't looked at the auction so no real help here, just pointing out that regular old diodes can and do create noise.