Guytron fv, bogner xtc 101b, hughes and kettner triamp mark I?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bartmcartman, Jan 15, 2006.

1. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

Anyone with experiences with these channel switchers care to choose which one they would pick and why?

2. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I have a Guytron, awesome cleans ranging from blackface Fender to Vox and distortion from light blues (a hair of grit) to Marshall then all the way to dual rectifier stuff. Really an awesome amp. I set mine up with a 12at7 in both the clean and the lead channel (uses two 12ax7's normally) this gives me crystal clean tones and reduces the gain channel slightly which helps to reduce some of the compression people complain about with this amp. I don't know about the others but I really don't care anymore what else is out there.

3. bartmcartman

Thanks Harry, what cab are you running with the guytron?

4. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

+1 I LOVE my Guytron. I wanted to have a tad more clean headroom. I'm using it with a Bogner 2x12 Shiva cabinet with Eminence Tonkers.

5. mcalo42

mcalo42 Member

I don't have any experience with the H&K but when I was shopping and it came down the the Guytron and the XTC I went home with the Guytron FV.

The deciding factors were that the GT had much better cleans (IMHO) and sounded great (much better) at low volumes. No attenuators needed here. It sounds great cracked up but often when I play by myself (practice) I like to have that same cranked tone at room/house level. It is very addictive.

I use a newer generation Guytron closed back 212, loaded with one V30 and one CL80.

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've never owned one, but I've played thru an H&K Triamp 1, thought it would the the channel switcher I'd own if I ever buy another one-6 useable sounds and very flexible routing. That said, if you like the Guytron sound, you might consider trying to find a Trace Elliot Trident-the crunch channel uses a similar technique (El84 as a preamp tube) to get more realistic power tube crunch at room volume.

7. Guinness Lad

The Guytron CB cab with the V30 and the CL80. I really like this combo, the Cl80 provides the smoothness and the V30 gives you that much needed presence when playing in a group. The reason I bought this amp (bought used from this forum) is because I liked the sound of the cabinet so much. I compared it to the Mesa, THD and DR.Z and thought this one sounded the most balanced top to bottom.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

i'm mainly a strat guy, and i love my Guytron "non" FV. and while i've tried many bogner 101 variants, the G is the one i bought.

while too dark sounding for some, the Guytron is to my ear fatter and richer sounding than the 101's i've tried. also, the guytron does this awesome "sucked in mids", fatter than fat, almost brian may'ish, "AC30 on superhuman gamma ray'd steriods" sound that i have yet to hear in a 101. and yes, i did try to find that sound in 101 at a nearby shop. ;)

the only 101 that knocked me back on my heels was a "Classic" w/ 6550's. had a similarly thick, gravelly, fat voice, but i heard reinhold doesnt make that anymore. then again, if i could bottle the "blue" channel of the 101, i'd be in heaven as well. and the 101 does seem that much more versatile with three channels. course, you'd probably have a better chance of making your buck back if you bought used, since they're pretty popular on the 'bay.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

yea,

what's amazing about this amp is the amount of Voxiness in it! whether dirty or clean, i have yet to hear this in any other amp.

10. bartmcartman

Thought I'd throw the koch multitone in the mix with the guytron, bogner, and triamp.

11. bartmcartman

Does anyone use v30's with their Guytron? What cabs and speakers match well with it? Heard good things about the new Guytron open back cab.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

yup,

i'm using mine w/ a closed back Tophat 2x12 w/ V30's @ 4ohms/parallel wiring.

13. SeeU 22

SeeU 22 Member

Well I own the Bogner 101b and the Triamp Mk 1 and I have played the Guytron FV extensively. They are all great amps but quite different. The ultimate amp for you will depend on what you want to do with it.

The Triamp and the Guytron both have amazing cleans. The best cleans I have heard out of a channel switcher. I have a friend in a blues band that uses the Triamp MK1 on the clean channel only with pedals and he gets great tone. I am not a fan of the clean channel on the 101b, however it does improve as you juice up the volume a bit.

The Bogner is hard to compete with on the gain side of things. Between the Plexi mode, blue channel, and red channel there are plently of different gain tones available. The Bogner won't do the nu metal recto thing. The dirty tones on the Triamp are really good as well and it will do the modern recto style tones on channel 3b. So the triamp has bit more versatility, but I prefer the tone of the 101b more.

That being said I am currently in the market for a simpler 2 channel amp. The condenders are Shiva, Hot Cat, and Guytron FV. My live rig will consist of this amp and a switching system to throw a few pedals at the front end of the amp for some tonal variation. I need a better clean channel than the 101b and while the dirty tones on the triamp are good, I just can't bond with them.

Nothing can substitute for a trip to Make n Music to try these beasts for yourself.

Neil

14. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

I love my Guytron FV, and the matching closed back cab sounds great with it. The cool thing about the FV is that it does both the original sounds as well as much more open sounds with the voicing controls if you want.

15. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Cleans
    1) Guytron
    2) Triamp
    3) Bogner

Versatility
    1) Triamp
    2) Bogner
    3) Guytron

Gain tones
    1) Bogner
    2) Triamp
    3) Guytron

My favorite would be the Triamp. It's not as juicy sounding as the Bogner, but still very nice. The Guytron is just not my bag, in the OD dep't.

I'm surprised you're asking about these particular amps, because I'm pretty sure you've owned them all before....

16. bartmcartman

Hey Mike, had a triamp about four years ago and had an xtc and the guytron this year. Wish I could have afforded to have them all at the same time to get a good comparison. It's tough for me to reference all the gear I've had through my house this year. Diezel, bogner, soldano, boogie, marshall, guytron. I thought the Guytron was really good at the clean and medium gain stuff. The xtc clean is about as flat and one dimensional as it gets. Seems that a lot of people are preferring the Guytron here and I wish I would have spent more time with it trying to dial in the tones I was looking for. The Guytron clean side and the bogner xtc blue channel together would suit me fine. Wish I could afford both. I will know in shortly what my next gig will be which will ultimately help me decide. I already have a bogner 2x12 cab and another xtc on top always looks classy!

17. Guinness Lad

I have always messed with tubes and settings in every amp I've owned because it can make such a difference depending upon the amp. The Guytron was so close in all aspects for me except the compression thing (lead channel) but once I switched to a lower gain tube it really helped. My recommendation is if the amp is 95% there for you try different tubes and or speaker combinations to see if you can get that last 5%.