Guytron FV100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by brazenkaine, Oct 22, 2005.

1. brazenkaine

brazenkaine Member

I own a guytron fv100. I really enjoy this amp. Thing I was wondering about is how do people who have heard, played, and/or own it, feel about the overall eq of the amp. Do you find it scooped? Do you there to be tons of mids? Is it perfect? etc. I'd like to hear what you're thinking!

k
    http://www.soundclick.com/guytronfv100

2. johnc

johnc Member

I wish the eq controls on the amp had a stronger effect on the tone. I talked with Guy about this some time ago, and he basically told me that his goal was to make the amp so it wouldn't sound bad regardless of where the controls are set. He related instances of hearing various players at clubs where they would be too bassy or too trebley, etc. According to Guy, he was basically trying to prevent anyone from sounding bad.

This might sound crazy; but, I would like more control of my tone at the risk of sounding bad. Sometimes depending on the guitar, speakers, room, and volume that I'm playing at, I would really like to boost the bass or treble or mids based on what the situation merits.

Other than this, I'm really enjoying the amp.

3. Kborg

Kborg Silver Supporting Member

I find the mids are definitely scooped a little bit but in a very musical and pleasing way. The EQ adjustments, while being rather subtle, allow for fine tuning the basic characteristics of the amp very well. With the addition of the FV controls the tonal variations that can be acheived have increased dramatically but I still feel that regardless of the settings the essence and character of the Guytron tone is there at almost any setting you dial in. One of the things I love most is the fact that you can get such wonderful bass response without ever getting muddy or washed out.

I use 2 Klon Centaurs with my Guytron FV, 1 set for a clean boost and the other for more gain. The combination gives me a 4 channel amp that cover all styles but the NU metal type of stuff. I am still searching for the right pedal to get that sound. I have heard people complain that the Centaurs can be mid heavy but they work incredibly well with the Guytron IMHO. I also have a CAA OD-100/50 which is the only other amp I have heard that covers very close to the same tonal ground as the Guytron. They each have their own individual sonic signature but the CAA allows for that additional tonal variation that some may look for. They are both great amps, IMHO, the best you can get for everything except nu/death metal type stuff.

4. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

The tele clips sound great! Jangle and crunch. I don't sense a lack of mids in your tone, though. The ones I listened to sounded full and even.

5. brazenkaine

brazenkaine Member

ya those tones are DEAD ON! I'd like to be able to add more mids (which I use a beano for) via the amp on the High gain settings. for jangle blablabla...less mids are very appropriate. How do the gain sounds strike you?

6. mcalo42

mcalo42 Member

I thought the gain tones sounded nice. I really like my FV 100. I have the matching cabinet (CB-212) as well. I don't think mine lacks mids but I use PRS' so I'm not sure how that affects the mid tones.

At first I was a bit disapointed when I discovered that the main EQ didn't have much variation but I have grown to like it as is.

Some times I have trouble deciding which F & V settings to use because I found some combos sound better for clean and some sound better for high gain. I guess it really depends on what type of clean or gain you like best or what songs/artists you are trying to emulate.

Imagine if each channel had independent FV switches! Although it probably doesn't work with the design.

Maybe you could experiment with tubes to try and get more mids.

7. Kborg

Kborg Silver Supporting Member

I just got a chance to listen to your clips and to my taste there is no lack of mids, the levels seem right on for the material you are covering and Man, you are doing a great job of covering so many different styles and tones. The beano boost sounds great with the Guytron, I will have to pick one up, the giant strat clip is nailing that tone. Great playing too, I must add. Is that a bridge single coil or humbucker your using on the giant strat clip?

One of the strengths of the FV, IMO, is the versatility and how well it takes pedals. It has a great inherent tone to it regardless of the EQ settings. As Guy covers in the manual, the tone adjustments are not designed to impress you with their wide range, they are there to fine tune what I consider to be a great base tone to start with.

I have one of the original GTs and tend to leave the focus and voicing straight up in the old GT settings on my new FV. This may just be because it is what I am familiar with but I like it best for set and forget, cover everything use. The FV settings I think add some improvent for the channel 2 higher gain settings and really do help for bumping the mids up some but I love the original channel 1 clean tone so well I don't want to mess with it.

Have you tried the Open Back cab with the new Big Tone speakers along with the closed back? It opens the sound quite a bit and compliments the Closed back very well IMO. I still prefer the CB to the OB if I had to pick only one though.

For some real fun try running out of the effects loop into a rack effects unit and stereo power amp for a w/d/w rig.:cool: I've got a TC electronics M300 into a marshall 20/20 El-84 power amp into 2 separate 1x12 cabs with G12H 30s and the sound is huge. It's a pain in the @$$ to move around though.:eek:

I guess I am biased because I love the Guytron tone:D, so to me the tone is perfect.

Great clips. Do you have any full tracks recorded with a full band?

8. johnc

johnc Member

I remember Steve Snider reviewing this amp and one of his recommendations was for Channel One to be the Original GT-100 clean sound and the FV switches to only affect the Lead Channel.

I also remember Procos (another forum poster) recommending that there be more eq adjustments for each channel. It seems that he liked running the cleans bright and the lead channel dark. If I remember correctly.

Both of these are really good ideas.

9. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Good clips. I think the tone controls are very powerful, I mean whats the point of having something that you can turn to 10 but it sounds like crap? I usually set up thhe tone controls with the treble low (9 to 10 o'clock) mids vary per guitar and the bass (12 to 1 o'clock) the presence is around (10 o'clock). I will then use the tone controls on A and B to add more midrange and bite depending on what I want to hear and guitar I am using. I love the fact that basically the amp has two eq sections which overlap eack other at fundamental points (midrange and treble).

I put a mullard 12at7 (cv4024) in V1 and V2. This takes down the gain a bit but allows my Les Paul to still saturate plenty on B but stays cleaner on the A channel. Last night I put some Siemens EL34's in it and set the bias at 32.6 ma. I always like setting up amps right before the power tubes get that big thick sound thing going. To me, right below the sound thickens up is when the tubes sounds the best and you get the best clean tone. God knows this thing has more then enough gain that you don't have to bias the EL34's hot to compensate.

10. brazenkaine

brazenkaine Member

wow! thank you al for your responses! it's great to hear from all of you. Guy gave me some great hints including some radical adjustments like turn the bass to 0 and the mids to 10 and the treb to a 11 o'clock etc. alone w/ the tube scremer. Apparently he's working on a setting adendum, which I feel is imperative. I personally would like more mid and bass control. That said, NONE of what I have now got in the way, or EVER gets in the way of making good music. That is entirely up to my flailing-and much of the time it feels like such. That said, I feel the clips to be solid enough to share.

The Tyler strat that I'm using, is a JB but has a pickup guard on it. Dave Phillips sez that it darkens the sound. Whatever it does it sounds good. I have both cabs from Guytron. All the sounds on the clips were diff. mic pos's on the closed back cab the v35 and 75 watt Celestian spk's that came stock with it. I never use it live. His open back is amazing and I use that exclusively.

keep the comments coming.

11. telewacker

telewacker Supporting Member

I have the older non FV GT100 and stock it was lacking upper mids, as well as being a bit fizzy when overdriven. After talking to Guy Hedrick he recommend a few component changes and tube substitutes and it's like I took a blanket off the speakers. The amp has a lot more of that rich BF Fender voicing with more 1k-2k information but still has the smoothness and glassy chime of the EL84s. I found an RFT 12AX7 to be a great choice for V2.

The B channel has more meat to it as well and his recommendations for a Chinese 12AX7 in V1 and an EI 12AX7 in V5 really gave it a much more Marshall-like character. I also put Siemens EL34s in which seem to be the best choice without springing for NOS Mullards.

I liked the amp but was never satisfied with it until I revoiced the EQ. Between the mods and a pair of Big Tone 55 watt speakers (which sound better than the Blackbacks I had been using) the amp sounds killer.

12. brazenkaine

brazenkaine Member

what kind of eq mods did you get?

13. telewacker

1) A 1.1uf@16VDC cap across R85. MUST be polarized correctly. He suggested a value between 1-5uf, but the higher values emphasized a lower mid spectrum, which was not the range I felt needed to be emphasized.

2) A 220k/1w resistor across the top two leads (the ones between the big holes in the circuit board) of the 100k plate resistors for V3.

3) A680k resistor across the the existing 330k resistor on V5, making it a 220k total.

I think I have the pics somewhere so shoot me an email if you would like me to send them to you.

The clips on the Guytron website sounded really good to me, but since these mods my amp sounds better, imo. YMMV.

14. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Nice sounding amp. Like your playing, not irritatingly precise, with great feeling. Sort of Page-like.

Do you have any 'raw' sounds that you can post?

Please don't make them too nice. GAS is already nipping.

EP

15. telewacker

brazenkaine-

Nice clips, good playing. I read through the thread before listening to them.

16. brazenkaine

brazenkaine Member

i'm just irritated 'cuz I'll never be precise. sorry them clips be as raw as they'll get.

;-)

(ps. what was the turn around time on the mod?)

17. telewacker

(ps. what was the turn around time on the mod?) [/B][/QUOTE]

I did it meself, and I'm no tech. I can solder a component in place if someone tells me where to go. The pictures allowed me to identify the correct locations.

Doing it myself saved time + $$, and it allowed me to try different values until I achieved the desired effect.

There's one more mod he mentioned for the B channel that I can't remember off the top of my head, but it sounds so good to me at this point I decided to quit while I'm ahead.

18. mcalo42

mcalo42 Member

Not to throw this thread of track but can anyone one elaborate on the differences in tone between the GT OB212 and GT CB212, with the FV 100 both clean and dirty. I really like my GT CB212. In fact, I also like my playing my other amps thru it better than thru my marshall 412 with 75's or the one with V30's.

Is the OB212 that much better, if so in what way?

19. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Don't know if I can help but I have the CB cab. The reason I bought the amp (bought used) was because of how good it sounded when I was at Makin Music. I actually liked the cab more then the amp but since the deal was for both I figured I could always sell the head if I didn't like it.

Generally CB cabs will have more projection with tighter or more controlled bass. OB tends to disperse the sound more but is subject to room variations. IMHO I would rather have consistant sound room to room then a little spatial effect of the OB cabs. Celestions (actually most speakers) are designed to have a closed cabinet, without the speaker cone tends to overextend and react differently then it was designed to. I'm sure people will argue but look at almost any high end stereo, you won't see many open backed cabs.

20. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I don't get this amp at all..... not sure why it's so revered. I couldn't get a decent OD tone to save my life. Just me, I guess (and all my friends)