Guytron GT-100 on the way- any love from fellow TGP'ers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tvegas99, Oct 19, 2008.

1. tvegas99

tvegas99 Silver Supporting Member

Just got one off eBay, not a FV. I've wanted one for quite some time, but they rarely come up for sale and everything is so cheaply priced these days. I'm very curious how it will stack up against my Fuchs TDS-50... which is outstanding!! Right now the cab I have for it is a 2x12 Avatar with G12h30 and Celstion V30.

Any lovers or non-lovers feel free to respond, I'm a huge fan of el84's and I hope this amp satisfies my craving since I know longer own an el84 type amp... There is something so special about the sound of those tubes... I can't wait to play this amp!!

2. Rick0

Rick0 Member

I owned a non-FV Guytron and loved it. The clean channel is one of the best I've played through. It weighs a ton and has some 13? tubes, but it sounds great. I regret trading the amp. I saw John Herington with Steely Dan and I don't know if I've heard better tones than he had with his Guytron rig.

http://www.rickowens.4t.com/

3. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I've used the non-X modded original Gt-100 for a long time, probably 7-8 years now, dang.. To me it's pretty versatile. I'm a blues based rock player who gigs once a month, maybe twice. I use the amp for mostly its mid gain voice and cleaner voice. I sort of ignore the higher gain aspect of it, cause it gets more compression than I care for, when trying to use it for 100% of the gain.

The current program for me is using it with a pedal board, three basic overdrives flesh out my activity with it. I like to run the channel volumes pretty high, the initial gain knobs somewhere near half up, and the the master volume to taste. I view the master tone midrange to be sort of the nuts and bolts of the amp, leaving the master treble down for the most part, presence up, bass up outdoors, way down indoors. The amp will sound WAY better through a 4 x 12" loaded with 25 watt Celestions, than it will with any 2 x 12", I've tried many. I have some Fane loaded 2 x12"s now and they get full, but the big box delivers a treble to mid balance which I much prefer.

Tube wise, immediately get a quad of matched JJ EL-84 tubes, check a pair in comparison with what's in there. This brand has worked best for me, I've tried EI and Sovtek new tubes, and this JJ tube lasts better than the EI and has less nasal ratty highs than the Sovteks, at least to me. This is the weak point of the amp. It hammers the crap out of the EL-84 via big swings of cathode biased power, dead ending into a dummy load. My older style GT-100 gives no way of moderating that voltage. I'm not an amp tech of any sort. But my ears easily tell me when these tubes have had it, and I rotate through them every six months or so. So I buy four, check them every couple of months, and when there is deterioration, adios the old, hello new.

The circuit will respond very audibly to changes in quality of all of the pre-amp tubes. I've got some NOS in the early stages and selected strong current production tubes in the phase inverters, there are two of those btw. You can greatly affect the headroom of the amp, by down swapping the phase inverter or gain stage tubes with other tubes of the 12A family, but you'll need to use the power amp to get volume parity.

Use the loop with a +4 rack type delay/reverb. The loop is super well executed and the recovery stage of the loop seeing elevated signal levels really wakes up the clarity of the amp. Folks who have owned this amp and sold it, then hear or play through mine, are frequently surprised at how little it is vieled compared to others, I think my use of the loop and choices in setting up the levels have much to do with it. I use an Intellifex and have right along. I took a detour into the G-Major for a while and liked it less because it always sounded phase cancelled to me even fully serially implemented.

So sound wise I try for a chimy Vox sort of clean using Channel A. I get up to a lightly driven sort of Marshall sound in the B channel, then take it on up with a Box of Rock, or Fulldrive II or a Blue Collar. I also like the clean channel, clean boosted using a Carl Martin Compressor.

This amp is not a super hard rocker at all, it gets folded up more, like a Vox or a tweed. So folks who really enjoy a heavy Marshall, or the more modern gain sounds of Mesa, VHT, Diesel, etc. don't jibe with it as well as I have.

I used mine outdoors with a 4x12 and 2x12 in combination last weekend and will do so again next weekend. It will be a lot of fun, as it has been for quite a while. Good luck with it!

4. peterdjp

peterdjp Member

It's a nice amp. I had one before getting A Fuchs TDS 100.
    Clean channel is more Vox el 84 which is cool. Fuchs can't really get that sound. Channel 2 is more Marshall than the Fuchs, still smooth but more rock sounding. I think the sound clips on the site are a very good representation of it's tone.

5. tvegas99

Thanks for your opinions guys, especially Mark Robinson I really appreciate your detailed info/input!!

6. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I had a GT100 FV for a couple years, I really liked it. The biggest drawback was the weight, probably the heaviest head ever. The El84's will wear out about every 4 months if you play it a lot, the El34's will last probably forever. The reason is because the El84's run really hot and the El34's run really cool.

The amp generates the tone from the El84's and then dumps that signal into the El34's, the El34's just act to amplify the signal. I had the El84's running at somethinglike 42 to 45 ma with the El34's at around 31 ma, that's is a real conservative number (50% dissapation).

The A channel has so many different voices, if you can't get at least 4 or 5 steller clean tones out of this amp you need to get your ears checked.

The thing I struggled with was the heavy bass response of the lead channel, the compression at higher setting didn't bother me too much because I really don't know how you get singing high gain tones without compression. Looking back, I think a lot of the bass issue might have been teh cabinet and not the amp. I was a big Guytron fan and still like them even though I'm using a different rig now.

7. beej

beej Supporting Member

Congrats!

Huge fan of that amp. I have an FV and one of the first 30 GT100s. Guy totally rebuilt that one last summer and put in a few upgrades- seriously the best amp I've ever owned.

Versatile as they are heavy ;)

8. tvegas99

She arrived and all I can say is... I like her so far and she is one of the most different amps I've played!

Guytron really has it's own thing going! I think I need to try and retube her...

9. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

I have an FV model, but the original is a fantastic amp too.

10. SReynolds

SReynolds Supporting Member

11. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

One of the best amps out there IMO. Great spectrum of tones. Sold mine to downsize as it was more than I personally need but miss it. Mine was the FV version BTW.

You'll love it.

RC

12. 8nthatK

8nthatK Supporting Member

Didn't like the gain voicing live at all, very compressed and would just get lost in the band.
    I liked the cleans and low gain stuff.

13. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

I've used my Guytron for 8 years. Presently the FV. If you check out the link in my signature almost every cut of my CD was the Guytron FV. I also did the new and old sound clips on their website. It's been a long time since I played an original but they are great amps and many old ones are not stock. People say it's too compressed but that really comes from a misunderstanding of how to use the amp. Herrington with Steely Dan has none of these problems. He also uses a non FV but I think it has some mod besides the x mod.

Congrats on the amp and feel free to PM me with any questions as I've been using the amp for years.

One small tip to start. Remember that the front end of the amp is a 20 watt cathode bias amp. If you want loud clean you need to run the master and levels fairly high and the gain on the preamp low.

14. philnz

philnz Member

Congrats on the amp. I have the FV and am still gobsmacked at the tones :RoCkIn

15. tvegas99

The lovefest continues with this beautiful amp, have not retubed or done anything to it and it sounds great- just bought a pair of Bigtone 55 speakers off of TGP

Any strong opinions on the GT-100 versus the FV

16. GDS Racing

GDS Racing Member

Congrats on the new amp. Take the time to go through the manual and learn what the controls do. An amp such as the GT100 is truly an instrument that you must learn just like a guitar in order to truly become proficient.

I have one of the first ten GT100s ever built in my shop right now. It is red, and it has been around the block a few times but it sounds fantastic. The clean channel is classic GT100 giving you a range of tones from 18W to JTM45 to Vox AC-30. The B-channel has a huge aggressive snarl that sounds like a really good hotrodded Marshall. It is nice. I could live with this one even without the F/V controls.

Jon Herington likes the standard GT100 as well so he generally uses that, or he uses his F/V with the F/V controls straight up, which takes them out of the circuit.

Email me if you need anything or if you have any questions.

I think we just posted at the same time! :)

You're going to love those Bigtone 55s. They work great with the GT100.

Don't sweat the F/V issue. The GT100 sounds great even without the F/V module. In the future, after you get to know the amp really well, play an F/V and experiment with the F/V controls. You might decide you like it or you might find it does nothing you need for your type of music.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  17. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

They're both great amps, but the FV is more versatile. I'd be happy with either though.

18. boog204

boog204 Member

had one of the original gt100s. as has been said, it weighed a ton and was a tube monster. that being said. i thought the clean was fantastic but it really got lost in the mix which is why i moved it. good luck w/ it, i really wanted to love it.

19. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

I owned one of the original GT-100s years ago when they first came out and also a 2006 HT TDS-50. However, without getting them side-by-side, it'd be tough to contrast/compare too accurately. However, off the bat, I'd say the Guytron was more compressed at higher gain levels. As a result, I had a little trouble sometimes punching through the mix. Never had that trouble with the Fuchs. However, the GT was smoother and more 3-D sounding and held up much better at lower volumes.

20. tvegas99

Have not used it at a gig yet, the Fuchs goes out on our backline, but this is my experience (minus the getting lost in the mix), I love my Fuchs TDS but I do believe the Guytron has a greater variety of sounds...still really enjoying it!!