Guytron GT20, Finally !!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wolfpack, Aug 1, 2006.

1. wolfpack

wolfpack Supporting Member

2. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

3. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

Awesome. I'll be looking into this one.

4. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

That built in mic sounds really cool.

5. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

cool, been waiting to see how this one was going to shape up !

curious about estimated street price....

6. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Finally! I've been holding out for this since playing the prototype in the spring of 2005 at the LA Amp Show. It was one of the best amps I played that day and I'm glad to see it isn't vaporware.

Bryan

7. wolfpack

Make'n Music has it on their site for $1,995

8. Impulse 101

Impulse 101 Member

Gear lust strikes again. I'll never sell my GT-100 but this would make a great stablemate.

JT

9. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Disclosure: I used to do some work for Guytron. I am not doing any work for them now, nor have I for a few years. I am not granted favors nor looking for them.

I was in the area a few weeks back and called over to Guytron to see what's up, stop in and chat a bit, say hi.

Lo and behold - there's the GT20, the final amp. They were just about to ship one to Make 'N Music at the time. Finally!

So I checked it out, and long story short sorta "borrowed" the shop amp (not final production one, but the shop beater) for a night to do a rehersal with it. I had to promise to keep my mouth shut, and then to return it the next day. (I called to check if it was okay to open my mouth now, and well, they said yes!) :D

It is a great looking combo to start with. Nice size. Beamblocker built in. Mic built in (capsule on the front of the speaker, not behind. It's fixed in position). It lights up and looks tres' cool. Simple as pie to work with.

On it's own, it's a open backed 112 combo amp. Loud, but only as loud as a 112 open backed combo can get. I hung at practice well, cut right through. It has two channels; drawing on my past ownership with the original GT100 it was a cinch to dial in. Clean channel from really clean to gritty; sweeter than the big brother due to the EL84's IMHO. The gain channel goes from crunchy to fairly heavy overdrive; I had a ball cranking this channel all the way gain-wise. It does not fart out even pushed very hard.

No MV. It has a 3 step attenuator. Full, 70% and 30% (I think?) plus speaker mute with it clicked all the way down. There are two "extra" tone controls - Slope and Focus. They work to tailor the overall tone after the preamp. It's slick.

The amp sounds fantastic. I tossed it up on my 212 and 112 extension cabs (I use ToneTools Fat Cat cabs) and the thing just SCREAMED. Still tight on the low end (and LOTS of low end) with no flub. That was very cool - most EL84 amps lose it when shoved real hard. Enough clean headroom on the clean channel to use in a loud live band setting. I was impressed.

Somethings that really stood out beyond the tone - it is sturdy, but under 50lbs.. The back of the chassis lights up showing the in/outs back there - no need for a flashlight on a dark stage. Very cool. The mic has a phase reverse and pad built in. The led's on the channels actually change from blue to red when you change channels. I didn't use a production footswitch, but was told it'll do the same sort of thing. Very professional touches.

It's a fantastic little package. If I was buying amps right now, it'd be a front runner for the 20 watt grab-n-go. There's nothing else like it out there.

Again, I post this to be informative - I got lucky and happened to get a shot to check this thing out. I am not getting any favors or perks, I am not hyping it in any way. I get nothing at all out of the deal. Just sharing my experience.

10. Impulse 101

Impulse 101 Member

Scott,
    Thank you (and Damn you) for the info.

Gear Lust just kicked into overdrive.

JT

11. wolfpack

Thanks for that info Scott, let the pain begin

:drool

12. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

Does it have reverb?

13. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

No.

14. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Damn...
    NOT because the amp doesnt have 'verb.
    But because it exists.

:D

S.
    j

15. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

Here is the kicker..... how much is this guy going to cost?

16. Gnorm

Gnorm Member

No reverb, but standard serial effects loop. I use a TC Electronics reverb with my GT100 and plan on doing the same with the GT20.

I've been trying to get Guy to make a combo since 1998. Can't wait to get my hands on the GT20.

17. wolfpack

See my previous response

18. Impulse 101

Impulse 101 Member

About this much.:)

19. jpeek

jpeek Member

Just bought one at Make'n Music. Got some gigs coming up. If you want I'd be happy to post some feedback. I know this is an old thread.

20. GT100

GT100 Member

As a former GT-100 and now F/V owner who has never tried the GT-20 (or GT-40) I'd love to hear your impression.

Lloyd