GUYTRON vs some other big names

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GLY, May 24, 2006.

1. GLY

GLY Member

I've heard alot about this amp but does anyone know how it stands comparing it to other big names like: Two Rock, Fuch, Bruno, or even Dumble?

2. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Great amp but how it compares to the others you mention is totally subjective. I had two FVs and one regular pre FV version and I personally dug them. Not as much as many others including the ones you mention but they do offer up some very cool sounds. It's all about your own taste and how they compare to you.

3. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

Tone? Value? Features? all the above?

4. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

5. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

too broad? no context? vague? no answer.

6. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

"Some say cucumbers taste better than pickles"... Dave Chappelle

7. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

All I k now is a good friend of mine whom I jam with locally has one and everytime he brings it out it sounds killer...

8. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

you were AWOL last night when I brought it out by the way.:RoCkIn

9. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

The Guytrons got it's own thing going which I really like, in fact it's my favorite amp. The clean channel really can dial up the midrange crang if you really want it. The lead channel can be a little compressed at higher settings but it seems like lower gain tubes in the b channel help this a bit. This amp amazes me every time I play it because I can do things tone wise I could never do with another amp. What makes this amp IMHO is the ability to set the tone from the a or b channel using the tone control and then tweak it using the seperate tone controls. I can do so many things this way and have yet to fully extract all the nuances from it.

10. GLY

GLY Member

hmmm... guess i wasn't being clear here. wat i meant was of cos mainly in e area of tone n sound (that's afterall the number one criteria for any amp to be considered a good amp, isn't it?) comparing it the other names mentioned. i understand it has its own unique n very versatile features as well.

11. matte

matte Senior Member

not a fan. the gain channel was too murky for my tastes.

12. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

I saw Steely Dan here in Atlanta when Two Against... came out. They had a great player (Jon Herington) helping out on a Guy, but from my seat, it sounded painfully thin with a freaky buzzy top. He was using Hamer guitars with a Bigsby. Could have been the sound man or something, but Walter's XTC sounded great. I totally dig the clips on their website tho.

13. lv

lv Supporting Member

The Guytron is one of the most versatile amps I've played, and one of the few that can do great cleans and overdriven tones, though maybe not at the same time as I liked different F and V settings for my optimal clean and lead tones. Not a huge amount of gain if you're using single coils. You can get real thick and furry/creamy lead tones and also chimey mid scooped blackface tones.

My only concern was they are pretty expensive for what you get - all pcb, with all tubes and pots mounted to the pcb, lots of ribbon cable and push on connectors.

14. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

The gain channel is not happening for me....

15. Variable

Variable Member

Is this only on the newer FV? I've got a Rev B and it's hybrid PCB/Turret, with all pots and sockets chassis mounted. Very, very good construction, though the tolex job on the cab has not held up over the years (Mine's from '97). Personally whether or not these things are PCB mounted or chassis doesn't matter as long as there's attention to detail and reliability.

Anyway, I absolutely love mine :D But it's in the shop ATM since somehow a 16V cap ended up in the power section and popped :( I don't know what the heck the original owner was up to, but Guy tells me it should have been 25V at the very least, and the standard is 50V now. I only wish it had a little more gain in the B channel.

The trick with setting this amp is to make sure you get the EL84's cooking; contrary to how most tube amps work, this amp sounds a lot better IMHO with the master down lower and the channel volumes cranked.

-Russ

16. lv

lv Supporting Member

Yes, this was current version. My understanding was that the non-FV versions used more chassis mounted components.

17. pbass2go

pbass2go Member

The guiartist in our band just bagged his ToneKing/Germino mini-wall of sound for a Guytron. It sounds great... but da**it.... every time he gets a new amp its louder than the old one!!

All I can do is turn up even more. We are never gonna get invited back to that coffee house again....:horse

18. Variable

Variable Member

Hahahah! Nice :) Well, remind him that a Guytron's greatest strength is power-tube distortion at stupid-low volumes!

19. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Mine is a FV version and everything is chassis mounted. While this worried my at first it does not now. I received this amp last year from UPS with both the cab and head in one box and a package that looked like it was drug across the bottom of the Pacific ocean. I opening it up plugged everything in and turned it on, no problems at all to report.

I would suggest trying pre-amp tube tweaks, espeacially for the "B" channel. This channel sounds better to my ears with a 12at7 in V1, it sweetens it up and helps with the amp compressing in on itself at higher gain settings. Another thing I just did was remove the V30 and replace it with another CL80, I'm liking the sound more now (not that I didn't before), it seems even sweeter now.

I love using channel "A" with the tone control set around 12 to 1 o'clock. With a strat the crang that comes through sounds unlike most everything I have ever heard. Articulate, chimy, very cutting...overall a very sweet clean tone.

20. Variable

Variable Member

Won't a 12AT7 in V1 thin out the cleans too much, though? As I understand it V1 is the input buffer for both A and B channels.