GVCG/Lollar Tele Pickups

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CNP, Nov 8, 2005.

1. CNP

CNP Member

Wanted to give a quick review of a set of GVCG/Lollar Alnico 3 staggered pole Tele pickups I just installed in my GVCG ’57 whiteguard Tele. These pickups are wonderful—the most dynamic and toneful Tele pickups I’ve heard. Played clean, they are sweet, warm and sparkly, with great note separation and range. If you dig in with your pick or finger attack, you’ll get some gorgeously complex “oomph” and cluck. When playing with some overdrive, they absolutely rip. No mud in the neck pickup, either! I’ve never heard a Tele neck pickup with this combination of depth, clarity and cut with overdrive. Just amazing. The bridge pickup has some nice vintage warmth to it, but with some in your face aggression on tap, too. With these pickups, you really feel like you can play any style—clean country or blues, to filthy rock. I’ve been playing Teles for years, and I haven’t heard better. Love ‘em.

2. David Robrecht

David Robrecht Blue Fire Silver Supporting Member

Excuse my ignorance, but what is GVCG? I dig Lollar's pickups. I don't see any Alnico 3 varieties on his website. Are these custom made? Thanks.

3. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

4. Patch

Patch Gold Supporting Member

I have these pickups in both of my GVCG Teles.
    A '59 maple neck Dakota red and a '63 sunburst double bound.
    Red guitar has Lollar/GVCG Flatpole Alnico 3 pickups, while the Burst has Lollar/GVCG ALnico 5 staggered pickups.

They are simply the best guitars and the best tele pickups I ever played, period.

I'm an happy man!:)

5. CNP

CNP Member

Danocaster and Patch-- I'm with you. My GVCG's are magic. The best guitars I've ever played. Just one point of clarification-- my review is for a particular set of GVCG/Lollar pickups-- Alnico 3 magnets with staggered poles. According to Jonathan Wilson (Jonathan=GVCG), he dreamed up with this particular "recipe" and worked with Jason Lollar to make them happen. Here's a link with a description--

http://www.songsofjonathanwilson.com/GVCGLollarAL3.htm

6. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

No..I get it..The GVCG Lollars are great. I should have some in a blonde tele Jonathan's building for me now !!

So Patch..are the 5's "more ROCK" and the 3s "more Country" ?? What's your take on the difference

7. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

I haven't tried the exact pickups mentioned (hope I'm not hijacking), but do have a set of Lollars in a custom Tele I put together. I absolutely love these pickups and recommend them to anyone who'll listen. And the people who hear my Tele always ask what's in there.

8. no1yuno

no1yuno Supporting Member

I've got a set waiting to be installed on my Tele. Unfortunately it's sitting in a case in the back of a truck getting ready to go to Florida. So I won't be able to try them till next week at the earliest.

9. Patch

Patch Gold Supporting Member

Hey Danocaster! Sorry for the late reply!

Well, I have to say that I'm not really good to describe in words the sound I'm hearing! But I can say that you're on the spot. The AlNiCo 5 staggered poles pickup is absolutely a rock 'n roll pickup. It has more "bites" than the other one. I think they are bit more bright but I can be wrong. The AlNiCo 3 flatpole is also an amazing pickup but a bit different, a little more mids perhaps. It's a perfect match for the maple neck and alder body of my '59 Dakota red Tele. As far as being more "country", I don't know!

Enjoy those GVCG!!!:D

10. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

"Tone robbing surgical tubing"... So now it's not cool to use the surgical tubing? :rolleyes: Have you guys noticed a difference?

11. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

Only with my drip tray.

12. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Yeah I notice a difference. It really helps cut down if your pickups are microphonic. Otherwise... thats just silly.

13. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Now I'm not bagging Lollars, but I had a set of Lollar Specials (darker pickups) in my Gigliotti GT Custom (dark sounding guitar). In that case I was disappointed...but I was also disappointed (just a tad) with Kinman Broadcasters...the pickups that really brought it alive for me were Bardens. Not trying to hijack. But if I get the chance I'd love to pickup a 50s style Tele/Esquire with Lollars. Maybe a GVCG if I get a chance.

And generally I like darker toned guitars...but man...that was just too much! lol

14. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Well, that just means your guitar was dark as hell. If bardens sound right in it (being bright as hell pickups). No bag on lollars. I bet if you told jason that you had a guitar that was extremely dark he could make some special pickups for you.

15. Seegs

Seegs Member

great pickups...since I put em in my tele has been #1 with a bullet...

these prompted me to also try the Lollar tweed strat pu's which are also great...

Chow,
    Seegs

16. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Yeah it is dark as hell! But it just sustains so good and has such a sweet sound. I'm happy with what's in there now so I'll leave it alone.

17. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

To be able to tell that about your guitar and have patience finding the right pickups to me means you will enjoy that guitar for years. :RoCkIn I bet the bardens sound KILLER in there. I always thought they were WAY too bright although they retained the attack etc beautifully. To put them in a dark guitar is GREAT!

18. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER

I just dropped a set of GVCG Lollars in my '98 Collectors Tele.

I'll give them a good try over the next week and report back as the Alnico 3 Flatpoles that were in that guitar standard were not bad at all.

At a very quick listen the GVCG neck pickup seems clearer which I like and the bridge seems a little more balanced but it was about 11.00pm when I finished the soldering so I haven't tried them at anything above whispering volume yet.

19. dave s

dave s Member

CNP:

thanks for the review. My Nash T-Style also has a pair of beautiful sounding Lollar tele pickups as well.

Frankly, I'm having a really hard time getting the pickups dialed in with regard to pickup height and 'tilt' for balance across strings.

Any formula or advice you can give to help me optimize where the pickups ride in the pickguard? I like 'clean' tone more than overdrive and growl. Lower might be better?

Just a note: my Grosh strat has Frailin Blues and a SP43 at bridge and they dialed in very nicely and quite easily. The Lollars are presenting a bit more of a challenge.

Thanks in advance for anything you can share.

dave

20. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER

With a few gigs and rehearsals under my belt I now feel a bit more qualified to talk about my GVCG Lollars.

They're perfect...

The end.