H-Bomb Pure Fuzz - an original Fuzz Face recreation? Gut Shots Included

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cgkindler, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

Ok...So, first off, here's the vid: (same vid I just posted in another thread, but relevant to this particular thread)

Now, I fully believe this guy is a Dallas Arbiter fanatic...and really tried to do EXACTLY what they did back in the day...

There's no power port, battery only (due to being negative center - he didn't want people blowing it up) and the parts were ordered from the UK)

The main guts have a heat sink on them...I looked at his v1 pedals and this (a v2) and they are the same part...

The Mullard part has the same thing...and after putting them side by side, the different Volume Pot worked better Treble wise with my Parker Fly...

Here's some pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The question I have - is this guy completely full of it, or not? Either way, I REALLY DIG the way this pedal sounds, and it's cool and one-off-type...so what'evs.

Thanks all, enjoy my not-so-great playing and amateur...everything??!? LOL

Rock on brothers (and sisters! LOL) !!!

stahlhart likes this.
  2. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

Anyone have any thoughts?

3. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

Who is this guy? Where'd you get it?

Cgkindler likes this.
  4. RodR

RodR Member

Those trannies (most important part?) are not faithful to vintage. But they may sound great any way.

MoarGear likes this.
  5. superslidetail

superslidetail Supporting Member

I'm not seeing anything I haven't seen before as far the gut shots go. All those parts can be bought from small bear/mammoth/ebay, etc. I just see a decently made fuzz face clone. Those transistors look like the exact ones Dentone uses in his fuzz faces.

RodR likes this.
  6. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

He had a V1 that didn't have any heat sinks on it, and the "tropical fish" resistor???

Here's a shot of one of those

[​IMG]

I wasn't sure which one to go with, but the first one I posted sounded the best with my rig - albeit, it was brighter (which made it sounds better to me...maybe it's because my ears are shot? LOL)

He's a guy out of Birmingham, AL - he just does this on the side because he LOVES the Fuzz Face circuit...he gets his mind on something, and sees it all the way (from what I can tell, I've spoke with him a handful of times)

he's a guitar tech at a local shop, and I see him in there when I visit.

MasterEvan07 and ericb like this.
  7. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member Vendor

It's a standard germanium Fuzz Face.

We made about 3 of them with those AC128 with heat sinks and Main Drag Music sold them. They sound OK, but quite muffled, not very clear sounds.

8. RodR

RodR Member

Also, as far as faithful recreations, I don't think there was a trimpot in the originals...

Snufkinoob, Pedal Dan and Cgkindler like this.
  9. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

The trim pots were not original, he said this, but he likes to be able to adjust them based on the temp in the room...he likes to put them at 4.4 or 4.7?? Something like that.

I wish I had something to compare it to.

That said, either way, I was able to support the guy by putting a little extra in his pocket around the holidays...so, for me, it's a win/win regardless of if I got anything.

I appreciate the feedback!! I was curious!

Love me some TGP!

10. RodR

RodR Member

To be fair it looks like a solid fuzz face build, and the trimpot is actually an upgrade from the orginals, as is the true bypass wiring and possibly matching transistors. I bet the sound is there with better reliabilty and versatility.

Cgkindler likes this.
  11. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals

Not to nitpick but...

All Fuzz Face pedals from ‘66 til now are TB. ;)

Cgkindler, analogmike and RodR like this.
  12. RodR

RodR Member

Nice to learn something today :beer

Cgkindler and Pedal Dan like this.
  13. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals

Funny thing is...

Arbiter used the Newmarket transistors because they were inexpensive.

By late ‘66 most transistor radios and consumer electronics were switching over to the more stable silicon variants.

Why they chose to use a DPDT switch and wire it TB, when all other effects were always in the circuit, is anybody’s guess.

Cgkindler likes this.
  14. Snufkinoob

Snufkinoob Member

That "dwindling vintage parts" is little bit of an exaggeration. You can still get carbon comp resistors all day long. Capacitors too, even NOS, but even then having a mojo output cap (the yellow one and tropical fish one in the lower pic) is more a novelty. Also, the originals had 470k volume pots, so the v1 is closer to original spec. Not sure how good those 'K' AC128's will sound either, but I've never built a FF with them.

Cgkindler likes this.
  15. ElectricWarrior

ElectricWarrior Member

Most british pedals from the 60's and 70's I have are wired for TB. The MK1.5 Tone Bender on which the Fuzz Face was based on had TB as well. I guess with this type of circuit it's hard to get away with leaving the input connected as it would dull down the clean signal too much? But then again some MKI Tone Benders also were wired for TB... maybe they just thought it was better practice.

Cgkindler likes this.