H & H Amps in the 80's - love?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by paulvcarter, May 24, 2015.

1. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Member

i had a great 2x12 H& H amp in the 80's which lit up all green - the only real player that also used them at this time was Stewart Adamson of The Skids (later Big Country) - is there any love for them ?
    I really liked mine but it had no clean head room

Fun times

2. killerburst

killerburst killerburstguitars.com Silver Supporting Member

HH V800 was the power amp of choice for a lot of the '80s Bradshaw rack guys (EVH, Steve Stevens, etc.).

3. Orren

Orren Member

If I'm thinking of the right amp, didn't T-Rex use one?

Orren

4. Leaf_Mansel

Leaf_Mansel Member

Wilco Johnson used one (IC100 combo) in the early Dr. Feelgood days, 74-ish.
    My son gave me one, it was given to him as payment for some work he had done, it works but has a few faults. I was going to repair it, but I see now that most parts are no longer available.
    It has a ported cab and 2x12 heavy magnet speakers, they had seen better days but still sounded good, until some daft jerk (me) dropped one of them, bending the frame badly. I've put in 2x12 celestion c-80s, but I hardly ever fire it up these days, far too loud for my use. I should find a new home for it, if my son doesn't want it back, that is.

5. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

I've had a few rack power amps and still have one V200 for my big W/D/W rig, love those.
    I've never played a full amp head or combo though, I'm curious how they sound; are those solid state amps? Do they sound similar to Roland JC120 in any way?

6. Leaf_Mansel

Leaf_Mansel Member

Well, I would say, big clean and punchy. the Vibro (trem) on the ic100 sounds pretty good, but I can't give a really good breakdown of how it sounds compared to other amps (little to no experience of amps... 'just a poor boy, from a poor family'... now entering his dotage)

I think I remember someone saying that the Genesis guitarist (can't remember his name... a few more brain cells gone... ) used one back in the mid seventies, not sure what songs, but he used the trem cct. apparently. It has reverb and a sustain switch, which seems to be some form of overdrive or induced clipping, not that good from what I remember. ah/... Steve Hackett... something's beginning to work up there.

7. teemuk

teemuk Member

Did Marc Bolan of T-Rex use one? Yes. He was probably the most famous endorser.
    [​IMG]

Other famous HH amp users include Roger Waters of Pink Floyd (IC100 used as preamp), Eric Bell of Thin Lizzy (IC100), Daniel Ash of Bauhaus, Wilko Johnson of Dr. Feelgood, Steve Hackett of Gensis and Van Halen (dummy-loaded Marshall head reamplified by V800 power amps).

Also look below that red amp head in Kirk Hammet's rig:
    [​IMG]
    Found also from backline of early Iron Maiden:
    [​IMG]

Are they good amps? You decide. Fact is that they are pretty good examples of solid-state amps that played a huge role in rock-n-roll history and contributed to the guitar tone of many influental albums.

8. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

Interesting, thanks for the headsup. I'd be curious to play one of those heads/combos.

9. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

Didn't EVH use their power amps at one point in his rig?

10. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

Yes indeed (V800), as a lot of others! THose old Vx00 power amps sound a feel great when used with classic tube head amps in Wet/Dry/Wet setups or when re-amping the tube head.

11. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I used the 2-12 combo on different occasions.
    I liked them a lot. They had a 'valve sound' switch that introduced some controlled grit.
    No lack of volume.
    I think the speaker brand and model varied as they didn't all sound quite the same or the circuit changed, some features varied, etc.
    They were pricey around here and I never owned one.

12. zhivago

zhivago Member

I gigged an MA100 for years through a late 70s Marshall 4x12....incredible amp, reliable and awesome sounding.

Mosfet based, so driven it sounded like Zvex Super Duper :)