H-H Statocaster Build – Advice/Recommendations Requested

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by heavypic, Mar 26, 2015.

1. heavypic

heavypic Member

Hey all,
    I need some advice/recommendations for a two humbucker Stratopartscaster I’m thinking of putting together.
    About 5 yrs ago, I bought a Warmouth ’59 Roundback Stratocaster replacement neck (maple w/ Pao Ferro board), with 25.5 scale length, that I was planning to install on a ’88 S/S/S USA Strat. I never installed that neck and I am now considering using it to build a H-H hard-tail Stratocaster. After many years of playing, my preference has always been a 25.5” scale length. My LPs don’t get much play, but I still want to have humbucker capability for some tunes.
    I recently spoke with a Warmouth rep. He built a H-H Stratocaster guitar. He suggested using a light Swamp Ash Strat body, with Warmouth’s ‘Universal’ rout [which would allow a pickguard change to use almost any pup configuration (S/S/S, H-H, 2-P-90s, etc)], a string-through body design drilled for their hardtail “Vintage Narrow Strat Flat Mount” bridge (string spacing is slightly narrower for humbucker pups) and 500K V/T/T pots with .033 caps. I plan to use a pair of low/vintage output, nickel-covered, Alnico 3 pups (Custom 58’s??) from an Ibanez AR-300 (LP style) guitar. I have an assortment of magnets (A2, A4, A5) to mod the pups if needed. The Warmouth rep said he is using vintage output pups with an A2 in the neck and an A5 in the bridge. At this point, I’m thinking I’ll use a 3-position pup selector as I have no real need for coil-tapping (already have S/S/S Stratocaster) this guitar. I play classic rock and blues (EC, Allman Bros, BB-King, SRV, etc.). Body finish will likely be a Stew Mac transparent stain and gun-stock oil over the stain.
    Because you never know how a build is going to turn out until you plug it into an amp, I am concerned about the string spacing on the “Vintage Narrow Strat Flat Mount” bridge, especially if I wanted to convert this guitar to a S/S/S configuration at a later time. I need to look at Warmouth’s S/S/S spacing hardtail bridge to determine if the screw mounting holes/spacing is the same. In that case, converting the guitar from H-H to a S/S/S configuration might only involve screwing on a different bridge and pup-equipped pickguard. Lastly, the ferrule diameter for the H-H string-though body configuration is slightly larger than the ferrule diameter for S/S/S set-up, however I think the center-center spacing of the ferrules are the same for both configurations. I’m not sure if the H-H ferrule diameter would be a problem if converting the guitar back to a S/S/S configuration.
    Sorry for all the details. I appreciate any opinions/recommendations for this H-H Stratocaster build.
    Thanks…

2. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Supporting Member

I put an HH loaded pickguard on a Strat and it's been a blast to play. It has a Pearly Gates in the bridge and a '59 in the neck. It's wired neck volume, bridge volume, master tone with a three way switch.

3. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I don't think I'd notice the spacing.

FYI it's warmoth not warmouth. :p

4. Garrett Bagby

Garrett Bagby Member

I do like the universal rout. I had that done on a USACG body. I had HSS for years and tried HH at the end of last year. I went back to HSS.

The narrow spaced bridge will work just fine if you decide to go for SSS someday. Just swap in a different guard and you're good to go. The humbucker Strat bridge from Warmoth is spaced at 2 1/8, which is narrower than vintage Fender, but wider than American Standard.

5. mikebat

mikebat Member

I would not bother with the “Vintage Narrow Strat Flat Mount” bridge because you can get plenty of F spaced humbuckers.

My love for the strat has a lot to do with the stock string spacing.

Ofcourse YMMV

6. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I've been doing HH configs on Strats for a long time but the one thing I have never tried is two humbuckers mounted on pickup rings instead of a pickguard on a mahogany body with rear mounted controls.....swamp ash would be good, too.....

7. Garrett Bagby

Garrett Bagby Member

Vintage string spacing. American Standard, Mexican, and Squier have used 2 1/16 for decades.

8. heavypic

heavypic Member

Hey All,
    Thanks for your replies. I went to Warmoth's website again and compared the specs for the SFMH1C Narrow Strat Flat Mount Bridge (string spacing 2 1/8” / 54mm) that Warmoth recommends for traditional humbuckers, to the FASH1C Fender Standard Flat Mount (string spacing 2.08” / 52.8mm)…the latter being similar to those I have on my modern stock Fender Strats (’88 American Standard S/S/S and 2001 American Standard Roadhouse S/S/S). I don’t think that the 1.2 mm difference in string spread between these bridges will make any notable difference at all. In fact, when I measured the pole spread on my stock Fender single coil pups, it appeared that the pole pieces would be a better match to the FASH1C (54 mm) bridge anyway. I’m thinking either bridge would probably work well with either single-coils or traditional humbuckers, including the Super 58s humbuckers (low out-put, nickel covered Alnico 3s) from an Ibanez AR300 that I am considering using for this build. Right now, I am leaning toward using the SFMH1C Narrow Strat Flat Mount Bridge (string spacing 2 1/8” / 54mm) for this H-H Strat. I’m guessing converting this build from a H-H to a S/S/S configuration would only require an change of pickgaurds set-up for either H-H or S/S/S.

More advice/recommendations appreciated...

Regards