H&K Re-entering modeling/SS?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Elric, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I also don't want tubes from a volume standpoint.

2. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

It appears to be competing against the Yamaha THR-Head, which didn't exactly set the world on fire. (Not saying its a bad amp).

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/mus...s_accessories/thrh/features.html#product-tabs

This Black Spirit amp appears to be almost identical concept. The THR may be digital models, but as people have said, at this point (Katana, etc) digital models into a good amp are largely indistinguishable from analog.

Which begs the question(s), why even make a non-tube solid state preamp? (I suspect the answer is warranty claims and shipping weight, AND the fact that H&K don't have any amp modeling technology to leverage like Line6 and Boss.)

This reminds my of my first gen Vypyr 15, which is solid state preamp, digitally controlled. I think the larger combos of the first generation Vypyrs were also solid state preamps (transtube tech), but I believe the second gen Vypyrs went to digital modeling, as Peavey had invested in that tech (Revalver).

The first gen Vypyr head was apparently very cool; solid state, digitally controlled preamp into a 6L6 power amp. Id rather see more of those that this.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    Jarick likes this.
  3. gtr37

gtr37 Member

The THR was a nice amp
    The no fx no ability to have presets and the slightly under powered 100 watt kind of shot them in the foot but the idea was great

This to me is very close to the Bluguitar box
    HK says they have been working on this 4 or 5 years
    And Thomas Blug is a well known consultant and advertiser of the HK amps
    I think the sprit is technology
    That he was involved in as was the switchblade
    It’s likely a nutube or a tweaked version of that
    Based on the time frame
    I think blugs influence is likely all over this one

aizenx likes this.
  4. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Well technically I think it's still competing against tube amps, but it's yes very much in the same vein as the THR100. The pitfall of that amp, in my opinion, is that they neutered the functionality compared to the smaller THR amps.

In my opinion, the THR100 should not have been a single channel amp with a few amp model choices and no effects. And the THR100HD should not have literally been two THR100's put together. It should have been a 100 watt amp with presets and effects with the ability to deep dive into the parameters via an app. So you can plug and play with the WYSIWYG interface or program on a computer/phone.

If that's what the H&K is, and that's what it appears to be, then it should be a real winner.

aizenx, pbognar, MetalPollo and 2 others like this.
  5. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

If the MIDI implementation is the same as the Grandmeister... that's gonna frustrate a ton of users... it's just super limited to the point of almost being impractical outside of presets only.

6. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

7. pbognar

pbognar Member

So what, no MIDI CC#7 to control volume? That would be seriously sad. I would hope the volume control would be between the preamp and the effects.

8. pbognar

pbognar Member

9. pbognar

pbognar Member

It would have been nice if the THR100 were a continuation of the DG line of amps. It was disappointing that the MagicStomp didn't have MIDI In to be able to select presets. AH needed 6 of them to do what he needed to do in a live setting - but for live use, he preferred them to tube amps.

aizenx likes this.
  10. Doode

Doode Member

But that one's fully digital, isn't it? If I want digitally modelled sounds, I buy a floor modeller and a super simple ss amp... I prefer that to having to buy and program an additional midi-controller in order to be able to switch between a handful of digital sounds that are worth $2.50 :rolleyes:

aizenx likes this.
  11. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

it's a bit more limited than that even...

12. gtr37

gtr37 Member

The cleans sound ok
    The distorted stuff I don’t really live
    I find all these product have great cleans and lead tones
    But the rhythm chunk for modern rock or the edge of breakup tones are lacking
    The Kettner from the vid is the same great cleans and lead poop on the Ultra
    That say every metal
    Tone is tuned down to dropA
    With strings flabbing it’s hard to decipher anything

3dognate likes this.
  13. Graham G

Graham G Member

Hi,DigiPov.I'm not sure that DV qualifies as a version of the "Spirit",looks like a lot of stuff missing,but i'm not really qualified to confirm this(I can't open the link,something about EU restrictions?).
    But in reply to the thread in general I feel I am qualified to compare the Spirit to the THR100H,i've been gigging THR since earlier this year & comparing the THR100 to the Spirit is really underselling the Spirit,in terms of features & flexibility it's a bit like comparing a 65 Mini to a New Mini,i can't speak for the sound(I've not played through a Spirit).

14. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

Maybe this is more comparable.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/DV-Mar...911771621-sku^1405954929515@ADL4GC-adType^PLA

15. Graham G

Graham G Member

16. Kriig

Kriig Member

Same here. GDPR or something

17. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

Its a Multiamp Mono. Price similar to the Black Spirit.

18. DigiPOV

DigiPOV Member

Same guy demos both units. The Multiamp in 2017, and the Black Spirit in 2018. Notice he says the Multiamp is "his own personal rig..or some such".

Really competitive marketspace. Probably can't go wrong with either although the multiamp has a decent effect section in addition to the amps.

19. Defendant

Defendant Member

Yick. That average grandmeister tone, only slightly worse, in a package that you still cannot easily read onstage.

There is a German made small factor amp that is worth spending on -the Engl E606. Only low watt amp I've ever played that sounded like a 50 or above in the bottom end.

20. Doode

Doode Member

Bwaaaah... reminds me of my Peavey Transfex Pro I once had. Looks just as akward to dial in, although 20 years of development clearly show in the addition of a rotary value knob :D.

I'd never buy anything like that again. It's never the full package you think it is in the beginning.