H&K Triamp - Nice Amp...clip inside

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gearo999, Jul 26, 2005.

1. gearo999

gearo999 Member

I traded my VHT CLX for a Triamp about three weeks ago and I really dig this amp. It is six amps in one and it has a strong Marshall vibe. I think the honey moon is over and I still like the amp. There are so many options its hard to get bored with it. With a click of a button you have another amp with additional voices. It is a high gain amp, and a medium gain amp, and a clean amp :D

http://www.gearo.com/Music Clips/Da' Blues Triamp.mp3

2. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Supporting Member

Sounds good.

I dig the Traimaps. Is yours the MK1 or the MKII?

3. gearo999

gearo999 Member

Thanks. It's the MKII.

4. Impulse 101

Impulse 101 Member

Is it the Alex Lifeson signature?

JT

5. gearo999

gearo999 Member

No, just the standard model.

6. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I think that they are great amps. They are wonderful at nailing several types of tone at cranked volumes. The modern OD channel is pretty damn gnarly too.

7. Legend

Legend Member

Another Hughes & Kettner Triamp MKII lover here, i've had mine for about 2 years now and still love the versatility of this amp for live performance.

8. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I had a Mk I for quite a while. H&K is very underrated and the Triamp is fantastic! I'm secretly hoping that H&K makes a lower wattage version so the power tube breakup is at more neighborhood friendly volumes (the only reason I sold mine).

3B is so articulate yet can get such a good amount of gain. 1A is one of the best cleans I've ever heard and 2A was sweet for doing Joe Walsh type stuff :dude

9. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

I got one (what is it about 10 years ago?) when they first released them here in Germany. I got the combo - now THAT was one heavy SOB!

Back then they had 4x6L6 (EL34 now right?) and whilst it was flexible, there wer few tones that really cut it in a band context. I always had to turn up to the point of being painful to get heard. I liked the channel 1B, 2A and 3A the best, back then there were some issues balancing up the volumes on the clean channel (1A & 1B) if you wanted B cranked a bit. I think those issues might now be addressed, but I'd be interested how the "band-compatibility" is now...

Chris

10. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

The amp doesn't have alot of top end 'cut' in certain channels, like the 2A ... in some ways that was nice, but I can imagine in a band setting that that would be a problem.

It is definitely the best bang for the buck channel switcher I've tried.

11. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

I was interested in these a few months ago, just too many dollars for my wallet, but seems like a great amp.

12. Ced777

Ced777 Member

It's funny , because here, in Europe, H&K are not boutique amp (neither are ENGL, Framus and so on...)

The clip did nothing for me. But I heard Thomas Blug on a clip(german player - Fender player of the year) and it has a very good tone (a bit on the bright side, but very good).

13. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

hows the triamp for reliability ?

i read that they can be a bit delicate , how have you found em to be ?

tasty clip by the way.

jimmy

14. Legend

Legend Member

I have had my triamp MKII for over 2 years, and haven't had a SINGLE problem with it yet *knock on wood*.

As far as lower wattage, the MKII does have a half power switch, dropping it down to 50 watts.

Also, it is much easier to balance the volume of the clean channel with the gain channels on the MKII. Channel 1a on the MKII bypasses channel 1's master volume. Basically you set up 1a to whatever amount of cleanliness you want with the single gain control, and match the other channels accordingly. This way, for example, you can set up 1a with a very clean sound, while having 1b set up for alot of grit, both at the same volume levels, or whatever ratio pleases you.

I haven't had a problem with the amp Cutting at all, esspecially not on channel 2a. If anything, I find channel 2a to be the brightest channel on my amp. I would say the amp is a little bright in general, but nowhere near as bright as my Marshall 50w JMP.

15. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

well that's my point of reference, 2a being the closest to a Plexi tone, but being WAY less bright than a Plexi.

I had a Mark I, too, so the II may be totally different for al I know.

I also ran the overall presence circuit pretty high ... almost full on ... ch 1 always had plenty of brightness, channel 2 didn't, a or b .... channel 3 was just fine .... that's just the way it is, with basically 6 channels, you're going to have some compromises somewhere....

16. RSRD

RSRD Member

I just tried this amp out at chuck levins and I REALLy liked it. I'm hoping one pops up for sale in the emporium. I demo'd it next to a Bogner XTC, Ubershall, Diezel Herbert and Diezel V4. The V4 was probably the best of the pack, but at $4300. The H&K tri amp MKII was my second favorite and this coming from a huge bogner fan. Just a hell of a great selection of tone on this beast!

Thomas

17. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

You can find these Triamps around from time to time.

:DThey are great sounding multi channel rock n'roll rigs for pros, but may be a bit much for small clubs or household use...to say the least.

BTW, I just noted that Hughes and Kettner recently changed their U.S. distribution and representation to Pearl Drums. Hmm, Drum reps selling amps??? It will be interesting to see if H&K's U.S. profile changes.

BTW, I have an H&K DuoTone which is a marvelous amp. Great modern OD channel and a clean crisp side too. The TriAmp adds more oomph, and another channel to the package.

18. papersoul

papersoul Member

Just got my used Triamp Mark I!

I was going to pick up a Roadster because I like versatile heads but sometimes I think I'd be beter with a simple two channel head and start pedal dancing! LOL. I thought a Rivera would be THAT amp but I never really liked the gain.

Bottom line is tone. Most amp I struggle with finding what I like. I had an older Mesa Dual Rec htat I liked sometimes but not others.....still too much fuzz on notes at times, and the clean was okay. I would hope the Roadster might be a bit better and I like all the options.

Why can't I find stellar clean, killer heavy rhythm and thick, heavy lead on three separate channels? All this with an effects on/off switch on the floorboard.

So, I ended picking up a Triamp Mark I and love the high gain on channel 3 from the first chord. To me that is important in whether or not I am going to like an amp. The amp has two year old tubes (pre and power) EH and Rubys so I think for a full evaluation, I need new tubes. I think new tubes and a bias would help the clean as well. I'll report back.

I wish I could use one of the Triamp channels strictly for lead but I feel it needs a boost. maybe some high gain tubes may help. I love the voicing of 2B for lead...but not hot enough for me.
    Maybe an EQ in the loop for channel 3.

Maybe the Marshall JVM would be better. I always though Marshalls were too nasally and I don't know if it has Triamp clean.

19. Red_Label

Red_Label Supporting Member

I had the Mk I for a year and gigged it a lot. It was HEAVY! But never had a problem with it. It sounded great. The clean channel (1A) was the best I've ever heard... period. And I'd kick in 1B for hairy Tele lead work and it was awesome too. Channel 2A was awesome for ACDC tones. 2B was way too dark for my tastes. 3A was a bit thin and bright for a high-gain channel. But 3B was awesome for lead work. It was a great amp and if they could have done something with 2B an 3A to make them better, the amp would be just about untouchable. I sold it because I thought I was done gigging for a while and didn't need a beast like that sitting in my basement.

Right now I'm using a couple of Traynors live. The YCS100 does a good job of keeping up with the Triamp. It's cleans are good, but the Triamp's were better. And the overdrive of the Triamp was a tad creamier than the Traynor. But the Traynor has an adjustable solo boost. That sells it for me. The Triamp had two seperate gains per channel that one could switch between, and that worked well for getting channel 1B up to solo volume. But it didn't boost 2B and 3B. Must've all be preamp-based. My back is happier to be hauling the Traynor around. The Triamp was 96# in the road case.

20. papersoul

papersoul Member

Red Label,

Did you have the combo? I have the head and have no idea the actual weight but the new Mark II head is 49 lbs. I believe the Mark I head is 55 lbs which is a lot for a head. My Switchblade is 53 lbs.

This is the first tube amp in along time where I plugged in and instantly loved the high gain tone because it was so rich and creamy smooth. Non of the harsh fizz I associate with a lot of high gain heads. I know guys who choose this head over many Bogners, VHTs (me included), Diezels, etc. I prefer to have my lead and rhythm footswitchable which would mean i need to get a good heavy rhythm on one channel and heavy lead on another. I may have to just use an EQ in the loop on 3B or get a boost and add it to channel 2 for my leads.