H20 Delay Users

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarwrench, Feb 26, 2009.

1. guitarwrench

guitarwrench Silver Supporting Member

In your opinion, what sounds like the H20 delay only in a smaller footprint and similiar cost/value ratio? I like the delay but it's a hog on the board.

2. StratsRule07

StratsRule07 Member

You can get pretty close to the same sounds with an MXR Carbon Copy. I've had both and like them equally.

3. lowenzz

lowenzz Member

I'd say they are way different in tone actually. I am in the same spot as the OP. I really really like the H2O echo. I really hate the box it is in.

I've had the CC side by side with the H2O and found the CC to be brighter and dirtier on the repeats. I found the CC actually ok, but the H20 just has a fuller tone.

I have found I prefer a digital delay with and eq'd repeat. I am currently testing the DL8 and I think I may be done with my search. This is after 4 sub $200 pedals I have demo'd vs the H20.

The subdecay Echobox is on my shortlist as well.

I really wish VS would make the echo side smaller. But man they sure appear to be low budget construction inside.

Just my opinions:boxer

4. guitarwrench

Thanks for the replies. Anything less expensive? Anyone know anything about the Mod Tone series vintage delay?

5. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

I wonder which version of the H2O you have? I have V2, and I wouldn't call the insides of it cheap. They don't use metal film resistors or fancy caps if that is what you mean, but I find the construction of their pedals to be of good quality.

The sound... ahh...

I don't know how they get that digital delay to sound so analog, I wonder if they somehow pass some of the digital signal through the chorus side as well to make it darker? This is my guess since the echo side is the only pedal in the V2 series that isn't offered as a single unit.

6. lowenzz

lowenzz Member

No problem, I had the V1, and replaced it with the V2 for the smaller size and the more refined housing, The V2 uses self tapping screws into a very thin casting. Now this is all my fault as I should've been going a bit slower, but when trying to do the bike chain style mount, 3 of the 4 screws pulled the threads out upon removal. There was not enough material in the cast to tap some threads. I used some slightly longer screws with a sharper thread pitch. One of the thread castings completely snapped off:jo. It was probably cracked to begin with and I just finished it off. No worries a little epoxy and thread lock took care of it.

Now VS offered to take care of it, They are beyond cool and a very stand up company who wanted to be sure I was happy. I have nothing but respect for them, but I repaired it just fine and being as this was my second unit, first had electrical problems, I didn't care to ship it out.

The insides to me just have kind of a economy of components and assembly line. This is just based off of a visual inside.

I really like the company and the sound. But I guess I am cheap by nature. I can afford the next few levels of quality but I start to have issues when a single function pedal hits the $200 threshold:NUTS. Given that everything is somewhat of a compromise I know. Although Retro-sonic may seduce me over the line.

7. lowenzz

lowenzz Member

Fwiw, I just received a response email from VS. They are working on a single unit phaser and a single unit tap tempo delay:eek:. No more info than that though.

8. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Bastards!!! :messedup

9. urlkonig

urlkonig Supporting Member

I've been using H2O's for about five years now, and yes, the box is annoyingly large. But bang-for-buck, the sound & utility is great. I bought the new V2 model last fall, mainly to get the smaller footprint. The first one I ordered had a problem, and the always responsive VS support folks sent me out a replacement unit. Unhappily, I couldn't get the V2 to sound OR function like the original H2O. At that point I gave up and bought another old-style H2O to keep as a backup unit.

10. guitarwrench

11. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Really? With the Analogman mod?? I actually run both units on my board.The times switch on my h20 locks up the delay sometimes so I added the dd3 and dd6 from Analogman years ago..Just a suggestion anyway.It works for me..Good luck..

12. guitarwrench

It's actually the Monte Alums high cut mod. To me the dd3 with that mod just doesn't do the ambient delay thing like the H20 does. Maybe I've not found the sweet spot there. With the hi cut it is warmer though.