H2O or Holy Grail..opinions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mooncusser, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hi all,

Hope you are doing well.
    I just wanted to get some feedback or opinions on something.
    I have a 1959 SLP reissue (no reverb of course).
    I enjoy the reverb effect, so currently I am using A visual sounds H2O liquid chorus/ echo for the echo slapback effect.
    I am wondering if a holy grail would sound better, or if I should stick with the H2O?
    I am specificly looking for anyone who has had some expirience with both of the pedals, please go ahead and fire away on advice.
    Thank you for your time.
    Best regards,
    Mass

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I don't know that my experience would help you any, as it really is a matter of taste.

I have an H2O, I spent some time looking for a reverb pedal, and in a short time (within 10 minutes) of trying out a Holy Grail I went from "oh...that' pretty nice" to "hmm...alone thos reverb tails are too long, how can I shorten them" to "how's this sound in comparison with the amps built-in" to "yuch...what else you got?"

But thats' just me. Many folks like the HG. I didn't. Besides it being unweildy for me sound-wise, it also requires its own non-standard power supply, it has no (if I remember right) tone control for the reverb and not many options.

That said, I don't use slapback much, and if that is really your main use of it, it might be perfect for you. I think you need to go WAY more into detail about:

What style of music you play?
    what you are looking to do, what do you want out of a reverb?
    what price range?
    what others have you tried?
    Important: do you play in a band or is this mainly playing by yourself at home (important because in a band some things in reverb like long tails get swallowed up...at home they can drive you crazy. I play both, so I wanted to be able to control them)

Frankly, I know you can use the H2O for slapback (sounds pretty good too) I usually use mine for echo...or really tight times for almost a doubling effect.

Personally, I found and loved the EBS dynaverb. But if you ARE mainly interested in slapback, I have read some folks reviews of some much less expensive (maybe Danolectric?) pedals that work great for that.

No matter what folks say here though, you really ought to consider what they say, but you have to try them out yourself, spend some time, in a music store. Some pedals you can take advice and judge it's usefulness, but a reverb seems to me to be so personal....I would try them out.

3. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

The Holy Grail ha s a sweet spot for just fattening up your single notes. You don't really need much reverb (if that is the sound you are after) to give your notes a ton of body. I fiddled with mine for about 1/2 hour until I got there.

Anything else on the Holy Grail I consider sub-par. But for adding a bit of reverb to the end of notes, it can sound very good, let you use less gain for screaming high lead notes, and it actualy is toneful for a digital pedal. Hope that helps somewhat ...

4. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Thank you so much for all the great advice guys!
    I mainly play hendrix/power blues at home for now.
    My rig is a 1959 SLP reissue//stratocaster loaded with Custom Shop '69's.
    On the matter of what I want out of my reverb, I guess i can only say that in the past I have always had on board spring reverbs, so that is the sound I would want. I don't want to spend the money on a outboard tank, and I don't need multi faceted options in a pedal, just a slight bit of that reverbeal atmosphere, to add to the tone. The H2O does a great slapback, and is close to reverb, but it is not a reverb effect that you get when using a spring tank. I have heard about the EH holy grail having long unwanted tails, and that concerns me. If you set it minimaly or moderately do the tails become shorter?
    Thanks all,
    Mass

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

In my experience, no...the tails don't get any shorter no matter what you set the mix/volume. They still were too long for my liking.

Like I mention, for me the EBS is THE reverb, though I thin a digitech Digiverb is less expensive and probably would do the trick. I have to say, there is no "spring" setting on the EBS, but I sat for a long time once playing with it...alternating between it and my spring reverb on my Peavey Classic 30, and I got it damned close. More than close enough for my ears anyway. That EBS has plate, hall, and room, with at least three settins each that change some dynamics. Also there is a tone control for the reverb tone!

6. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Supporting Member

I would suggest trying out the Holy Grail. I have one and I think it's great. In addition, I have 3 different amps and when I use the Holy Grail on a different amp, I have to adjust the settings. So it is in my opinion that you must trying the Holy Grail out on THE amp you are going to use.

7. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

8. astainback

astainback Member

did you get your H2O updated with the new chips or is it still in the original form?

9. bickertfan

bickertfan Member

I am using a Marshall Jubillee and have owned both the H2O and the HG. I personally did not care for either of them for an always on reverb effect. My problem with both of them is I found the tone to be degraded with the effect on. With both pedals something was missing from the tone with the pedal on. In ended up with a Peavey Delta Stomp delay in the effects loop. I found that to be clearer and not have a negative impact on the pure tone of the amp. I love the sound of reverb but in this situation a little delay just seems to work better. YMMV

10. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER Silver Supporting Member

Does anyone mod the Boss Reverb Delays? I was thinking that if there was a hi-cut mod for the RV pedals they could be a good option. You'd probably want one in a loop though.