H9 - A Story of Love/Hate

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SpiritShooter, Apr 22, 2016.

1. SpiritShooter

SpiritShooter Supporting Member

You know it well, you buy a pedal and love it. Then, as time goes on you read TGP and think, hmm, maybe it doesn't sound that extraordinary. So you begin reading more and more. Then one afternoon, you just get out of a meeting or you're in the car and think, I'm gonna sell that darn think and get the latest and greatest TGP thingy.

So goes the Eventide H9.

I bought it and sold it and then bought it back and sold it a second time. I love the convenience, the ability to switch between presets and get a great sounding reverb and delay pedal with good sounding tremolo and chorus tones.

The H9 became the foundation of my minimalist board. I loved it.....light, small and transportable. Then, I got the itch and sold it all.....AGAIN. It's a sickness I tell you. It's an addiction, it's being a fickle as a anyone can be.

So now, I am once again tired of multiple pedals..... two delays, two reverbs, four overdrives, a boost, a tremolo and god knows what else.

I hate tweaking, I hate having to make H9 adjustments by phone, iPad or computer. I hate not playing when I am tweaking. I hate tweaking..........I hate it! I hate having to own two H9's to get simultaneous FX at the same time. Well, maybe the new Space Time algo will change my mind.

So this afternoon on the way home I thought, sell the 2 reverbs, 2 delays, tremolo, and chorus pedals. Sell all 6 of them and order another H9. The thought was overwhelming so I stopped for frozen yogurt and the craziness subsided.....until I turned on the radio and thought, I need to simplify.

Pulled into a local park and logged onto Amazon. Added an H9 Max and an H9 Core to my basket as the sweat began to form on my brow. Suddenly, my I heard my wife saying "Jake, Jake wake up....you're having a bad dream.

WTF....
    Oh wait, it's not a dream!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    willem, BintyTwanger77, xcc and 5 others like this.
  2. ClintWells

ClintWells Member

Is this the plot to the next David Lynch film?

3. SpiritShooter

SpiritShooter Supporting Member

You never know.....all I know if that when you start dreaming about this stuff you are in deep ****.

4. ClintWells

ClintWells Member

Ha! Good luck, dude!

5. Phnurt

Phnurt Silver Supporting Member

Multi-effects...

The "New" heroin? Hmmm...

6. XISTH

XISTH Member

Mulholland Overdrive :rimshot

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  7. Michael_V

Michael_V Member

Haha! Awesome story! I loved the H9 too. Such a great sounding unit. The best delays and reverbs. But I hated programming. Hated it. I also hated having to use a MIDI controller to use it. Blech. So I sold both of mine. Sometimes I'm tempted to go back but so far no...

8. ljholland

ljholland Silver Supporting Member

I think the key to success with an H9 is setting up an expression pedal. IMHO, the reason you tweak is because it sounds a little off in the context, song, room, etc. It's not like you need to make major changes....just a little more/less mix, change the speed, depth, etc. I've got each of my main patches set up so that the expression pedal adjusts several parameters over a range. I've NEVER had to tweak a setting while playing and rarely modify the patches now.

Sean413 likes this.
  9. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

10. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

Why would you buy them on Amazon? You can get a MUCH better deal if you contact other dealers directly.

11. teleclem

teleclem Member

The added board space and the convenience of having so many sounds available is what keeps me loyal to my Max. Having two big Eventide/Strymon pedals + controllers was a bit too much for me.

12. Rumblemeister

Rumblemeister Gold Supporting Member

I feel you bro. I've been a software / electronics engineer for umpteen years but when it comes to playing music I don't like tweaking or multi-level menus. Part of it is laziness, part is not wanting to be distracted from the music; takes me out of the right brain and into the left and then I have to switch back again. I don't want to think when I play, I want to feel.

your name here likes this.
  13. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I'm not an engineer, but I work with digital/IT all day and feel the same way when it's time to play. Menus and tweaking are not what I'm interested in when I'm playing music - "distraction" is spot on.

14. Quintus

Quintus Member

For those complaining about the H9's multi-menus being a distraction, are you using an ISO device (iPhone, iPad, etc) to access the H9 Control for your settings/tweaking or are you working your settings straight from the unit itself? If you're using the H9 Control from an ISO device or laptop, do you have the same complaint?

15. richpjr

richpjr Member

I have one, I hate endless tweaking so I don't spend any time tweaking it. I set up a dozen presets that I like and just use those. I literally spend no time tweaking and have some superb delays and reverbs. The only thing I don't like is scrolling through the presets - I need to get an external switch.

earwax likes this.
  16. ellsworthman

ellsworthman Supporting Member

I had two H9s twice...I won't make the same mistake a third time ;)

your name here and yawiney like this.
  17. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

H9 is indispensable modern pedal.
    Yes, it is easier with iOS device and when integrated into MIDI rig.
    But, isn't that already almost standard for creative musician.
    Guys who happily play '59 LP into Plexi only, very likely do not need H9 and I expect that Eventide didn't even target them.

Steven likes this.
  18. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

The answer to your question is no. Many many many many many creative and even "out there' guitarists have literally zero midi in their lives - much less their rigs.

The H9 is grand I guess - I'm not always sold on the Eventide sound personally - but as far as indispensable goes... Well... Not for everyone!

Abram4235 likes this.
  19. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

We live in different galaxies and prefer different music, so meet different musicians.
    This is the beauty of diversification of everything.
    I guess you can't care less for what I say and we are even here.

20. stilwel

stilwel Member

OP: Before you pop for yet another H9 (or two) try a Zoom MS-70CDR. I have an H9 Max currently on the sidelines because the MS-70CDR is that good.

For the fx you mentioned, the Zoom will bring you much joy and provide up to 6 fx at once.

Onemileguy, IRG and tbader like this.