H9 power PITA

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sugarlou, May 3, 2016.

1. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

I have a small board. Everything uses the same power adapter except the Eventide. Looks like I might have to purchase some kind of power block to keep things neat. I dont want multiple wall warts and power strips. Do any come with a cable to fit the H9? As you may be aware it's not only reversed polarity it has a different connector.

2. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

I use the standard 12V/400mA VL PP Mondo output with reverse polarity (red tip) plug. Never a problem for me. Then again, the prerequisite to this is the PP Mondo.

3. sugarlou

4. Blanket Jackson

5. sugarlou

I have been using a One Spot with a daisy chain adapter for a long time but now the H9 is making me have to use its own power supply.

Does the PP come with the correct adapter to fit the H9? Or do you have to make one from the supplied adapter?

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    Blanket Jackson likes this.
  6. Blanket Jackson

Yes - they should still ship with the red-tipped (reverse polarity) plugs along with the supply

Included Cables
    5.5x2.1mm right angle barrel connectors (6)
    5.5x2.1mm straight barrel connectors (2)
    5.5x2.5mm “red” barrel for L6 (1)
    3.5mm mini plug for vintage MXR or Electro-Harmonix (1)
    9V battery snap for pedals without a power jack (1)​

See this thread - others have asked this re. PP+
    http://www.voodoolab.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4888

NOTE: I am using the Mondo version, which has different specs. You will need to confirm the wattage needed (voltage and current).

earwax likes this.
  7. earwax

earwax Member

I use a voodoo labs digital. Works great. Comes with power cables that fit.

8. Blanket Jackson

There you go - that will work too.

earwax likes this.
  9. sugarlou

The H9 has a different plug as well as being reversed. I believe the center pin is larger. I'm about to ditch the H9! Really Eventide? Can't just make it easy?!!:(

10. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Silver Supporting Member

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    Cioks DC10 has the positive center cables and correct jack sizes.

11. joshofsorts

joshofsorts Member

Here are the requirements from Eventide:

For a regulated 12VDC:
    The current requirement is 380mA at power up and 300mA in normal operation. Do not use unregulated 12V.

For a regulated 9VDC:
    The current requirement is 500mA at power up and 400mA in normal operation.
    With the Voodoo Labs PP2+ you will need a current doubler "Y" cable to a red cable plugged into outputs 5/6 with the switches on normal (red cable comes with Voodoo Labs power sources). Or, instead of using a current doubler AND a red cable, have Voodoo Labs make you a custom current doubler "Y" cable that outputs to the proper red plug ($15?). That is what I did and it works great.

No current doubler needed for the Voodoo Labs ISO-5, 4x4, MONDO and Digital versions as far as I can tell.

Figuring out all the power requirements when using digital pedals is a hassle, but once you set it up on a board you can forget about it.

12. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I have the One Spot CS12 and it comes with the correct cable as well. Whatever Eventides thinking was for using the positive center plug, I disagree with it.

sugarlou likes this.
  13. DecoWaves

DecoWaves Silver Supporting Member

The Voodoo Digital Power Supply works just fine and comes with the right adapted. It also powers my two Strymons as well.

14. ClintWells

ClintWells Member

I believe they did that to help users avoid accidentally plugging in the more common cable with insufficient ma, therefore damaging the pedal. I also use a Truetone CS12 and it takes care of everything on my board. After years of rigging a PP2 the market has finally started responding to the need for high ma digital pedals.

15. sbrollins76

sbrollins76 Supporting Member

This is the answer right here. All of the Voodoo Lab stuff comes with the reverse polarity 2.5mm cable, you just need to give the H9 enough juice. I have an H9 and it runs just fine off of a PP2+ with the current doubler in outlets 5 & 6. I recently upgraded to a Mondo and it's even easier, the H9 is plugged straight into one of the 12V 400mA outlets, no current doubler required. If you're trying to run a small board, the Mondo is probably going to be overkill. In that case, the Digital or the ISO5 both have 12V 400mA outlets and are a lot smaller.

16. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

The reverse polarity plug works fine. OP is overthinking the size of the center pin. It works. I have successfully used a basic 1 spot wall wart with a reverse polarity adapter and daisy chain. But of course, there was noise from not isolating from the Rat.
    What all are you needing to power in your "small board." I can get all I need from a Rat and single H9 for grab n go purposes. Just run the drive on battery and use the original PSU for the H9. You gotta plug in something after all.

17. sugarlou

I bought the voodoo iso 5.
    It powered the H9 on one cable. Seemed fine. Should I be concerned?

18. slap_back05

slap_back05 Supporting Member

Mine works fine on my CS12 hign mA 9v output. Came with the right plug too. If that little detail would make you ditch a pedal and whine about a pedal company, maybe just get an HD500 and get over it?

19. metro6audio

metro6audio Supporting Member

I have a Cioks DC-5 powering two H9s.

Edit: Had to order a second cable, but I think it came with ONE for an H9 (green tip).

20. hendrik7

hendrik7 Member

Yup it really is a PITA!! No idea why Eventide had to use such different plugs.