H9 Users - Expression Pedal Use

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by angeloanimar, Apr 6, 2015.

1. angeloanimar

angeloanimar Member

Just curious, what kinds of cool and crazy things are you guys using expression pedals for with your H9s?

2. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

I know that this is not particularly helpful, but in general: heel is "less" and toe is "more."

How this manifests depends upon the algorithm. For example, in delays it's often feedback, sometimes with a little wet/dry tweak. In reverbs is may be decay or mix. In Ultratap, it's often manipulating a handfull of parameters to have a couple distinct repeats on one end and a giant wash on the other.

3. thesauce

thesauce Member

Changing note values on resonator and harpegiator

4. taking tiger mtn

taking tiger mtn Member

I am still getting acquainted with the maddness possible but I'm using a Mission Expressionator and also the DB Instrument Amp dual axis expression pedal with 2 H9s and my various other expression enabled pedals. Allows me to potentially control or switch between 6 pedals at once. The dual axis is essential, since it's pretty hard to find ways control expression on more than one effect parameter simultaneously without it getting too extreme or odd. But being able to mix in, say delay feedback or mix with up/down amd then also alter a temolo parameter like rate going left right can be very useful.

I'll try to write up some of my favorite combos of h9 effects. Oh and I agree with thesauce that expression control is great with the harmonizer effects. In a weird way you can make some of the weirder ones less extreme, and more musical buy altering parameters in a rhythmic way. We use it in a song where we get a sound somewhat like the melody line in Bowie's 'Heroes' ...

In other words, it doesn't have to be all Tom Morello whammy type squiggly stuff (though obviously you can do that) but expression it really opens up some more subtle applications.

But man, I just love the DB dual axis pedal. Makes it a lot easier to hook up multple effects without having to unplug and reroute expression cables.