H9 vs Flashback for Space Echo emulation?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shakti, Apr 17, 2016.

1. shakti

shakti Member

I currently have a Flashback X4. I'm not the world's biggest fan of digital emulation pedals, but I went with the Flashback mainly because it had a few features that I rarely use, but where digital is the only option; reverse delay and looper. To my pleasant surprise, I found that I really liked the Space Echo emulation on the X4. Some of the other delays I'm less excited about, but all in all the pedal has earned its place for those three features.

However, it is bulky. And I also have a tuner on this board, currently a Korg Pitchblack Pro. It's actually a rack tuner, but I dig the large display. Nevertheless, I could save quite a bit of space, and would need one less isolated power supply if I replaced both the X4 and the tuner with an Eventide H9.

The H9 has a built in tuner, will do reverse delay and will do looping. It also does just about everything else you can imagine, and in this case all of that would be a nice bonus, but not necessarily something I want or need. The Leslie simulation seems decent if not up to the level of a Neo Ventilator (but hoping for an improved algorithm?).

What I want to know from users is this; will the H9 do a Space Echo-ish emulation that is as good as the one in the X4? I won't be able to try it before I buy. The videos I've seen don't really tell me what I want to know. The H9 does seem to have perhaps somewhat more sheen to the delay sounds than your typical TC sounds...do you agree?

Roe likes this.
  2. BoTheMu

BoTheMu Member

The H9 will do this sound. The tape algorithm or vintage delay will see you right.

(I prefer the vintage for this sort of thing because the filter lops off some lows and highs which to me sounds 'better' than just one or the other)

Whether it sounds as good or better than the x4 is up to you. I prefer it to my flashback for this sound but also really like the flashback for other things - mostly 2290-a-like stuff.

The H9 can indeed be very clinical ('sheen' :dunno) if not tweaked to preference. That it could do murky delay was the first thing I checked when I demoed it.

3. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

I you just want vintage and tape delays you could get away with a Timefactor for half the cash
    Although the H9 might have a few newer delay algorithms including some from the Space department

4. shakti

shakti Member

If I do replace the Flashback x 4 then it would definitely be the H9. Want to save space as well as get all the other perks that the H9 comes with (tuner, rotary sim and possibly others).

The Space Echo sim on the X4 gives the impression of creating a slight reverb with more repeats. Will the H9 (i.e. the Time Factor algorithms) be able to do the same?

5. shakti

shakti Member

In case anyone else wonders about this, I can now give you the answer; no, the H9 does not do this as well as the Flashback X4 does. In fact, I sold the x4 (and the tuner) and bought a H9. Turns out I do like the H9 for certain applications (the reverbs are uniformly excellent and tweakable, the Leslie sim is passable, it does panning and the dual delay lines are nice), but I hate it in front of an amp. Works great in an FX loop, and is a great "do-it-all" digital box. But the X4 sounds better for pure delay IMHO. More "organic" in a way. It works great both before an amp and in the loop. So I bought another one, and this time it stays. For the price you can get these for in the used market, they are an absolute steal IMHO. It's bulky, but it has three very easily accesible presets and tap tempo at your feet, no tap dancing, scrolling through sub menus and crap like that. And I live in the Space setting, which is just gorgeous. Try it in stereo with just a short slapback setting - sounds HUGE!

6. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

The H9 is so much more than a Delay with a tuner.

If there is a downside, it is that once you get a great emulation dialed in, it’s easy to fly out to left field with just one or 2 parameter tweaks in contrast to a more more conventional delay unit that would just alter time and feedback.

7. skyline

skyline Member

Agreed, TC's Space Echo is a great sound. Better imo than the space echo they later put in the Alter Ego v2 and X4.
    Just so you know, that original TC space echo sound is available as a TonePrint and can therefore be used in a regular sized Flashback or even a FB Mini. You'd be without tap tempo on the Mini but that sound is right there.

8. shakti

shakti Member

Yes, I even thought about putting the H9 and a regular size Flashback on the board in place of the X4, but I would miss the extremely intuitive and easy to use interface of the X4 with the individual switches. It gets criticized for its size, but for me that is part of what makes it so inviting and easy to use.