HAAR guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by AlexVoulgarakis, Jun 12, 2005.

1. AlexVoulgarakis

AlexVoulgarakis Member

Hello guys. I would like to learn anything that has to do with Haar guitars (either Strats or Teles). Do they sound and fell vintage enough? Comments on value for money.

2. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

I have no experience of their guitars but Erik,the owner,is a nice and reliable guy to deal with.

Ted

3. Chun13

Chun13 Member

Never tried the guitars, but the man is really nice ! :)

4. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

I have one; a swamp ash tele with oiled birdseye neck and a Fralin P90 (10% underwound) in the neck position.
    Fantastic guitar. Absolutely vintage sounding. Very punchy and his necks are extremely playable. A friend of mine has 3 Haar guitars and they are all fantastic as well. You really can't go wrong with either a Haar Tele or Strat. Great value for money btw, especially when you live in the EU. Quality is on par with American boutique builders and if you want fancy woods it won't cost you an arm and a leg.

5. fred dons

fred dons Member

I have 5 Haar guitars
    http://www.pixum.nl/members/freddon...5&page=1&ktw=9c07c7d9b582a3b29d7daf684e67cce3

http://www.pixum.nl/members/freddon...7&page=1&ktw=9c07c7d9b582a3b29d7daf684e67cce3

http://www.pixum.nl/members/freddon...8&page=1&ktw=9c07c7d9b582a3b29d7daf684e67cce3

les paul replica (he doesn't make these anymore)
    http://www.pixum.nl/members/freddon...7&page=6&ktw=4aa8fb2ade9a3fd52b0fff850f58cf80
    I also have custom tele but I don't have pictures of that one

he uses the best woods available (he used to work in the wood trade and import his wood by the containerload, the best parts go into guitars the rest in to floors and furniture )
    his guitars are finished in nitrocellulose

and he is very (relatively) cheap
    :dude

6. AlexVoulgarakis

AlexVoulgarakis Member

Is the nitro finish std or you have to ask for it?
    What about the sense of the fingerboard/neck?

7. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

8. itsLars

itsLars Member

Hi,

I have a custom made Haar strat....60's style, very light alder body, fat asymetrical D neck shape, VSV vibrato, locking Kluson style tuners....Suhr V60LP pickups.....in vintage oypic white ...plus aging.

I am very much satisfied with the guitar and Erik's service. Great deal!

Bye,
    Lars

9. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Wow Fred that Mary Kaye and the sunburst with Fralins very nice .. (Heel erg mooi!)
    And eh nice collection you got. You do a lot of inlay/photo stuff on those guitars yourself?

10. fred dons

fred dons Member

thanks
    yeah I do my own finishing (airbrush) and inlay (otherwise I could not afford this collection :D )

11. jruano

jruano Supporting Member

I have a question regarding the Haar teles. Is the body shape standard tele?... from the pics I've seen it looks like around upper part of the neck pocket the distance from the pickguard to the edge of the body is bigger than usual (?)

12. fred dons

fred dons Member

no Erik uses the 70ties tele shape instead of the classic 50ties shape so his bodies are a bit off but I believe that on request he will use the 50ties shape

13. jruano

jruano Supporting Member

Ah... that makes sense, thank you!